Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:23:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768159 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14265 on: November 09, 2014, 01:12:03 AM »

Touch of Evil - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.

Another board member who loves this movie ...  Roll Eyes

The Bridges at Toko-Ri - 7/10 - Lots of mopey melodrama, but the battle scenes are fantastic.

I saw this a while ago. I did a search to see if I could find if I posted on it; I couldn't find any post I made, but i was surprised to see that there is a thread for this movie (with one whole post) http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7640.0

As I recall, I gave this a 7/10 or 7.5/10. I saw it on a small screen, on my laptop, a few years ago, it was in 4:3. I think that by 1954, all movies were intended to be shown in widescreen (for whatever it's worth, IMDB says the correct aspect ratio is 1.85:1). I don't know if the version I saw (which I rented from iTunes) was the full film that was shot before the top and bottom were cropped for widescreen; or if it was chopped from the widescreen version - a "crop of a crop," as DJ likes to say  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14266 on: November 09, 2014, 03:35:32 AM »

The Lusty Men (1952) 7.5/10

"They tell me your husband found you in a tamale joint ... They tell me anything's better than working in a tamale joint even marriage."

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14267 on: November 09, 2014, 04:45:31 AM »

Another board member who loves this movie ...  Roll Eyes

boo hoo for you.  Cool

Anyway saw:

Affliction (1997) In a fly speck New Hampshire town a deeply screwed up man (Nolte) multi-tasks as a grader operator/traffic cop. He investigates what he thinks is a suspicious hunting death while events occur that cause him to incrementally disintegrate. Director: Paul Schrader, Stars: Nick Nolte, Sissy Spacek, James Coburn and Willem Dafoe. Reminded me of my winters spent in the Adirondacks. 8/10

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:46:56 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14268 on: November 09, 2014, 06:00:15 AM »

boo hoo for you.  Cool

DJ and I were just talking about it ... that's the basis for our bonding: being the only two board members that hate Touch of Evil  Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14269 on: November 09, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »

I saw this a while ago. I did a search to see if I could find if I posted on it; I couldn't find any post I made, but i was surprised to see that there is a thread for this movie (with one whole post) http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7640.0

Courtesy of our old friend TB! Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14270 on: November 09, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »

Nightcrawler - 8.5/10
Now thats how you make a movie. One of the best of the year. From Gyllenhal's sociopathic Bickle/Bateman hybrid performance to Elswit's beautiful nighttime photography to the subtle direction, incredible screenplay and slowly built + mostly thrilling pace. A lot of filmmakers try and gomage the Goodfellas-style Scorsese, but this is like something he'd do in the 70's and 80's. It's heavy on the Taxi Driver with touches of King of Comedy, After Hours, and Bringing Out the Dead (well...that's 90's). Now DJ just dont yell at me for not giving it a 10
Nah, after such a perceptive review (i.e. one that complements my own) all I want to do is buy you a beer.  Afro But wait . . . I think you missed your chance!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14271 on: November 09, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »

A Separation (2011) 5/10. Drink, remember when we saw that film The Past and got really annoyed with the whole thing, especially the ending? Well, I gave that film's director's earlier film a chance last night, this one that won so many awards and was generally well reviewed. Turns out . . . it's almost the same movie! Same crappy tricks: using cutting to withhold information so we won't be able to figure things out until a character explains things near the end; having characters who do nothing but kvetch the whole time; getting to the end and, on the point of an important reveal, running the credits so that the final issue is forever in doubt. Oh, yeah, that makes everything so human, so arty. This is BS Cinema at its most flagrant.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14272 on: November 09, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »

I liked The Past very much. Entertaining stuff from a director who can make actors "alive". I liked the structure with the revelations that shed a new light on what we saw before.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14273 on: November 09, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »

I thought THE PAST was decent, I think I gave it like a 7/10, but it was also frustrating. Well acted, I usually wasn't bored, but it never was able to actually move into that realm in which I was able to say I was really enjoying myself greatly. I liked it a little more than DJ did, but I wouldn't wanna see a worse version of the same movie.

Btw, I am headed to the AMC Loews on 34th & 8th now (my favorite Manhattan multiplex, in case you haven't figured that out by now Wink ) to see the 10:55 PM showing of NIGHTCRAWLER. (I figure the best time to see it is the late-night showing Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14274 on: November 10, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »

(I figure the best time to see it is the late-night showing Wink
You mean, so you can get some inspiration before doing a bit of crawling yourself? Dude, if you want to turn yourself into Louis Bloom Jr. you've got my support. Just be sure to hand over Rene Russo after you're done with her.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14275 on: November 10, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »

Safe (1995) - 8/10
An 8 with the potential to be a 9. Definitely requires a second viewing... got a bit lost on the last half hour, but a very intriguing and unique movie unlike any other. It legitimately feels like Kubrick directed it - not even like a ripoff.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14276 on: November 11, 2014, 05:07:32 AM »

Twilight (1998) Director: Robert Benton, stars Paul Newman, Susan Sarandon, Gene Hackman, Reese Witherspoon, Stockard Channing, James Garner, M. Emmet Walsh, Newman reprises a private eye character (Harper, The Drowning Pool) it's overall missing the atmosphere of the PI flick it dose have some good sparks, should have been better 6.5/10 mostly for its cast.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:03:33 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14277 on: November 13, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »

The Man Between (1953) caught only part of this on TCM very noir-ish Thriller directed by Carol Reed. Post-World War II Berlin, border intrigue, blackmail, kidnapping, heavy atmo with James Mason & Clair Bloom, 8/10 of what I caught, will definitely purchase this one.

The Kill-Off (1989) re-watched on DVD from Oldies.com great improvement over the VHS tape again film 10/10 DVD 8/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14278 on: November 14, 2014, 03:33:36 AM »

saw Salvatore Giuliano (1962), really didn't like it much. I don't know why, I really should have, I mean, it had all the ingredients for a really good movie, but I didn't enjoy it with the exception of the majestic, sweeping, panning/zoom shots of the Sicilian hills; I really loved those. (And who does zooms better than the Italians?)
I think I was pretty confused by the various time jumps. I wasn't always certain where the movie was chronologically. I also don't like when there is sooo much narration which isn't doesn't seem to have much dramatic value and isn't done in a dramatic movie tone, but spoken in a simple monotone merely to tell the viewer information, like a very long news report. This may have to do with the language difference, or the difference in how I am used to hearing people speak. But when I hear endless narration that just seems to be informing me of information and noting dramatic, not told in a dramatic way, it can get to feel like watching a very long tv news show or something.
It was nice seeing the real locations and people, but maybe this realism feels like realism for its own sake and we lost some dramatic value, i.e. the filmmaker was happy to do realism for realism's sake and didn't make a film that was interesting to watch (not that realism can't be interesting, but maybe he lost sight of making an interesting movie out of a focus on realism and forgetting to make an enjoyable movie). Again, felt like he recreated a crime scene for a tv news report - he may have done a marvelous job re-creating, but I don't enjoy watching 2-hour recreations/news programs. Also, when watching a subtitled movie, the less dialogue the better, cuz when I am looking at the subtitles I am not looking at (what often are very beautiful) images. While there are some scenes that play for a long time without dialogue, there are also some scenes with lots of very quick dialogue for long periods, and I felt lotsa time was spent reading that and missing on the images (which perhaps can't be blamed on the filmmaker).
Somehow I felt like he did a real good job recreating something, making something feel real, but I just wasn't enjoying myself. Especially once the trial got underway; I wish the trial could have been cut significantly.
Absolute maximum I can give this is a 6/10
I'm a big fan of Italian movies, but this is not one of them

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14279 on: November 14, 2014, 01:40:41 PM »

I watched it again recently, and I also am somewhat underwhelmed by the whole thing. It's not really about the title character, it's about the people around him. That could be an interesting conceit, but in application the film comes off as lacking narrative focus. Who cares about the assassination at the end? (I almost didn't remember the character). Who cares about Frank Wolf getting killed in prison? Maybe if you're Sicilian these things are interesting, but for me it's all profoundly uninteresting.

Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM