Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 12:47:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830541 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14280 on: November 14, 2014, 06:45:53 PM »

The Lighthorsemen - 7/10 - The battle scenes are some of the best ever. The rest of the movie's... meh.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14281 on: November 15, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »

Crumb (1994) - 8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14282 on: November 15, 2014, 06:08:47 PM »

Across 110th Street (1972) directed by  Barry Shear with Stars: Anthony Quinn, Yaphet Kotto, Anthony Franciosa.  $300,000 is taken from a mob drop house. Several mafiosi are killed and two policemen. Three small-time criminals are on the run with the loot. Lt. Pope (Kotto) and Mattelli (Quinn) are two New York City cops trying to break the case.  A forgotten gritty NYC crime/semi-blaxploitation flick 8/10. From Netflix

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14283 on: November 15, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

Interstellar - 4/10 - Like 2001 if the giant space baby explained everything at the end. Long and angry review sure to come.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: November 15, 2014, 11:45:44 PM »

Interstellar - 8/10
At one point during watching it I thought it was a masterpiece. Overall, it gets far too convoluted and uneven. It's about 30 minutes too long of "last minute intense save-the-day astronaut space" situations that I've seen 1000 times before. It is fucking incredible visually, both effects and cinematography. Solid performances all around, and critics complaints about over sentimentality are bull shit - it's fairly tame, and the sentimental aspects work. I thought Hans Zimmer's score was both unique and incredible. Admittedly I'm a bit slow with sci-fi plots and the last half hour kind of lost me but I caught up with it more or less toward the end. Groggy's point of "it's like 2001 except explains everything at the end" is sort of pretentious bullshit - what's so wrong with explaining things at the end? Does it make a movie better to go unexplained? Although they're both ambitious, clearly Interstellar has different intentions than 2001. It's like comparing Boyhood and The Tree of Life, another horrid comparison I keep hearing. Not to mention I considered 2001 to be far and away one of Kubrick's most overrated works - Interstellar destroys it (yeah, I said it, fuck off). Matt Damon's uncredited inclusion was laughable and distracting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUa5oHgYV2k)

The first hour and a half or so is incredible film making - so good to the point that if noodles_leone really tries to say that fucking Gravity is actually better, then he's dead wrong. It's the kind of stuff Spielberg wishes he could be a good enough director to make. I'd like to see a movie other than Days of Heaven where corn is more beautifully photographed (Field of Dreams, The Informant and Signs have no chance). It's loss of focus and constant tonal shifts toward the end really hurt it. Regardless, this is one of Nolan's best movies. Probably only TDK and maybe The Prestige top it.

Lots of Nolan's scripts are flawed but I generally see self-proclaimed critics pretending to hate him as mental masturbation for themselves.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:50:33 PM by PowerRR » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14285 on: November 16, 2014, 04:14:50 AM »

The Wings of Eagles (1957) 7/10 (TCM)

I was dead tired when I started watching this; dozed on and off through the first 50 minutes (until Wayne gets injured), finally shut it off. Then, after I'd had plenty of sleep, I watched the last hour.

This movie is pretty lighthearted for this subject matter, but it's decent enough. The Metrocolor is very pretty, Maureen O'Hara is, of course, thrilling to look at (it's hilariously pathetic how, to show how a few years have passed, the hair/makeup dep't puts one very prominent strip of gray in her flaming red hair, and otherwise leaves her exactly the same as earlier in the movie – not a wrinkle, makeup the same, the rest of her hair the same besides that one gray strip, I got a great kick out of that ) I was waiting to see "John Dodge" chew on his handkerchief, but I guess that musta been one thing that Ford was too sensitive about to allow to be shown   Wink

The TCM print is gorgeous. Some of the war footage is obviously real, of course that footage is noticeably different from the rest of the movie.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:39:07 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14286 on: November 16, 2014, 05:31:35 AM »

Groggy's point of "it's like 2001 except explains everything at the end" is sort of pretentious bullshit - what's so wrong with explaining things at the end?

Explanation is fine. Beating the audience over the head with never-ending, pedantic monologues removing any nuance or chance for alternate interpretation is not.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14287 on: November 16, 2014, 05:39:10 AM »

The Wings of Eagles (1957) 7/10 (TCM)

I was dead tired when I started watching this; dozed on and off through the first 50 minutes (until Wayne gets injured), finally shut it off. Then, after I'd had plenty of sleep, I watched the last hour.

This movie is pretty lighthearted for this subject matter, but it's decent enough. The Metrocolor is very pretty, Maureen O'Hara is, of course, thrilling to look at (it's hilariously pathetic how, to show how a few years have passed, the hair/makeup dep't puts one very prominent strip of gray in her flaming red hair, and otherwise leaves her exactly the same as earlier in the movie – not a wrinkle, makeup the same, the rest of her hair the same besides that one gray strip, I got a great kick out of that Grin) I was waiting to see "John Dofge" chew on his handkerchief, but I guess that musta been one thing that Ford was too sensitive about to allow to be shown  Wink

The TCM print is gorgeous. Some of the war footage is obviously real, of course that footage is noticeably different from the rest of the movie.

It's definitely a schizophrenic movie, starting as a broad comedy then going into straight drama later on. I still enjoy it; Wayne and O'Hara have great chemistry (and excellent characters to play), while Wayne's rehabilitation is a real tearjerker. Ward Bond's cameo is a hoot.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: November 16, 2014, 06:34:56 AM »

It's the only Wayne/Ford movie I never managed to watch.

Watched yesterday another Wayne film for the first time. Flying Leathernecks (1951) is a pretty boring flagwaver with all the usual war-film cliches. The only surprise was in retrospect the end of the credit sequence: directed by Nicholas Ray. Doesn't look so for a second. 2/10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: November 16, 2014, 08:06:47 AM »

Explanation is fine. Beating the audience over the head with never-ending, pedantic monologues removing any nuance or chance for alternate interpretation is not.
****SPOLERS****

We can blame that on my stupidity: I wasn't sure what was going on so much after the whole after Cooper enters the bookcase black hole thing. I wasn't really following the movie well enough to be able to be beaten over the head with anything (the same thing happened with the far inferior Inception when it came out... my poor brain just can't handle science). I put stuff together afterwards.

To state thing more clearly (and without singling out various SLWB members), I think that Interstellar is an excellent cinematic experience and a great film that's a bit overrated by fans and way, way, way underrated by critics. But the inability to retain a constant tone is what keeps it far away from being a masterpiece. One part is a great family drama, one part is great sci-fi action, and one part is a 2001-ish exploration of space... but none of them really blend well together. They feel like separate segments.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14290 on: November 16, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »

Foxcatcher (2014) - 8/10. The story of wrestlers Dave and Mark Schulz and their relationship with John Eleuthère du Pont, a batshit crazy multimillionaire. The Schulz bros are played Mark Ruffulo and Channing Tatum, respectively. John du Pont is played by Steve Carell, a prosthetic nose, and a dental appliance. All the performances are rock solid. The director, Bennett Miller, builds steadily to a climax that most won't see coming (unless they read the reviews or know the almost-true story already). The film score is quietly effective.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14291 on: November 16, 2014, 08:13:15 AM »

We can blame that on my stupidity: I wasn't sure what was going on so much after the whole after Cooper enters the bookcase black hole thing. I wasn't really following the movie well enough to be able to be beaten over the head with anything (the same thing happened with the far inferior Inception when it came out... my poor brain just can't handle science). I put stuff together afterwards.

Well I'm not, or don't mean to be, criticizing Interstellar for not being as opaque as 2001 or Under the Skin. Mostly, I've never liked Nolan's habit of making everything insipidly explicit. It's cool that you have these ideas, some of which are great on paper; can't you think of a better way to convey them than endless monologues? Can't you trust your audience to figure out some things on their own? There's a middle ground between explaining nothing and explaining everything.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:14:28 AM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14292 on: November 16, 2014, 09:43:02 AM »

It's the only Wayne/Ford movie I never managed to watch.

Watched yesterday another Wayne film for the first time. Flying Leathernecks (1951) is a pretty boring flagwaver with all the usual war-film cliches. The only surprise was in retrospect the end of the credit sequence: directed by Nicholas Ray. Doesn't look so for a second. 2/10

I started watching Flying Leathernecks once when it played on TCM; I wasn't enjoying it and shut it off after a while

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: November 16, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »

I started watching Flying Leathernecks once when it played on TCM; I wasn't enjoying it and shut it off after a while

Well, in that case you did right, as the film goes on like it begins. And the Wayne character's "we can't afford emotions" ideology wins over Ryan's humanity.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14294 on: November 16, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »

Sharky's Machine (1981) Director: Burt Reynolds with Burt Reynolds, Rachel Ward, Vittorio Gassman, Brian Kieth, Charles Durning, Earl Holliman, Bernie Casey, Henry Silva. Crime film that is a re-working of Laura set in Atlanta.    7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM