Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 05:42:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759198 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14295 on: November 16, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »

Sharky's Machine (1981) Director: Burt Reynolds with Burt Reynolds, Rachel Ward, Vittorio Gassman, Brian Kieth, Charles Durning, Earl Holliman, Bernie Casey, Henry Silva. Crime film that is a re-working of Laura set in Atlanta.    7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14296 on: November 16, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »

This Sporting Life (1963) - 8/10

This early attempt to a sports drama isn't perfect, but is very intense for its fragmented structure, mostly due to Harris' inspired performance and good direction. Sport then wasn't what is today, yet some recurring themes and problems seem timeless, and here they seem freshly and honestly told.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14297 on: November 16, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »

The Last Hurrah - 8/10 - John Ford-directed political drama with Spencer Tracy as a Boston Mayor running a doomed reelection campaign. The cynic in me wants to resist the conceit of a big city Mayor as the only sane politician. Yet there's too much to enjoy: Tracy's nuanced performance (backed by a relatively subdued John Ford Stock Company), the effective political satire (the TV ad might be the funniest thing Ford ever did), the well-handled nostalgia and poignancy.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14298 on: November 16, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »

Revanche (2008) - 4/10. If I never see another frame of film in which a guy is cutting wood it will be too soon.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14299 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:24 AM »

The first hour and a half or so is incredible film making - so good to the point that if noodles_leone really tries to say that fucking Gravity is actually better, then he's dead wrong. It's the kind of stuff Spielberg wishes he could be a good enough director to make.

If you are even partially true, if only 10 secondes of the film are more technically fascinating than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4pcg7bXgmU
... then I'll be the happiest man on earth and for the first time in my life I'll be excited for the next Nolan projects.
I wanted to watch Interstellar yesterday but my shooting endend like 15 minutes too late to catch the screening. Since I'm leaving for Lousiana on thursday, I'm a bit worried I'll have no other opportunity to watch this one on a big screen.

By the way not sure if anyone heard this but it would be really really cool:
http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/tv/jonathan-nolan-adapting-isaac-asimovs-foundation-trilogy-for-hbo

Sci Fi as an ADVENTURE (instead of action/thriller) genre is getting a great comeback lately and that's awesome.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14300 on: November 17, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »

It's the kind of stuff Spielberg wishes he could be a good enough director to make.

When you say director, what do you mean exactly? Are you taking into account the writing or the movie in general, or are you purely talking about technical or directing skills? If it's the latter I don't know how anyone can say that. If it's the former, I still strongly disagree but it's more of a matter of opinion. I don't know how you can say someone who doesn't use color that well (Inception was a massive missed opportunity visually) and can't shoot action very well is superior to Spielberg. Spielberg belongs near the very top with Leone, Hitchcock, Welles, Ford, Michael Mann, Kubrick, Scorsese, etc.

Well, in that case you did right, as the film goes on like it begins. And the Wayne character's "we can't afford emotions" ideology wins over Ryan's humanity.

I know I'm in the minority but I actually enjoyed this movie to some degree and can actually remember quite a bit about it, which is always a good sign. I thought the chemistry was great between Wayne and Ryan (they elevate the material) and the action/aviation scenes were incredibly well done, to the point where I wonder if Tony Scott had this in mind when making Top Gun.

I'm not trying to heap too much praise on it though.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14301 on: November 17, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »

The Last Hurrah - 8/10

I didn't read your review cuz I haven't seen the movie and don't want anything spoiled; I just saw the title and rating. This is a Ford movie I wanna see sometime.

Having recently read both Eyman's and McBride's Ford bios, I've now been wanting to see the movie that are discussed therein that I haven't seen that are supposed to be decent.
I believe I have seen all of Ford's sound Westerns. Gotta see some of the others. Just checked off The Wings of Eagles, as I discussed recently. I hear The Fugitive is supposed to be his worst movie ever. I recently read a critic I believe Richard Schickel say that he liked it. I gotta watch The Long Voyage Home.

UPDATE: Actually, I see we have a thread called "John Ford"  - although, of course, lotsa Ford films have their own threads, we can use that thread to discuss his ouevre in general and to discuss his films that don't have their own threads. So, let's move this discussion there. I expanded on this post there  Smiley http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1300.msg175109#msg175109

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:32:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14302 on: November 17, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »

When you say director, what do you mean exactly? Are you taking into account the writing or the movie in general, or are you purely talking about technical or directing skills? If it's the latter I don't know how anyone can say that. If it's the former, I still strongly disagree but it's more of a matter of opinion. I don't know how you can say someone who doesn't use color that well (Inception was a massive missed opportunity visually) and can't shoot action very well is superior to Spielberg. Spielberg belongs near the very top with Leone, Hitchcock, Welles, Ford, Michael Mann, Kubrick, Scorsese, etc.
I don't mean that comment as an attack on Spielberg - he's an excellent director. At the top of his game I consider him overall to be better than Nolan. I bring up Spielberg because I found Interstellar to be very Spielbergian in terms of family sentimentality meeting sci-fi spectacle (ET, Close Encounters, etc.). I thought Interstellar was great in a way that Spielberg has yet to reach with his similar efforts in general terms. Raiders, Schindler's, Jurassic Park, and several others prove that Spielberg is overall a much greater director than Nolan.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14303 on: November 17, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »

I'm probably going to see this movie this week, so I'll get back to you on this.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14304 on: November 18, 2014, 02:20:45 AM »

I know I'm in the minority but I actually enjoyed this movie to some degree and can actually remember quite a bit about it, which is always a good sign. I thought the chemistry was great between Wayne and Ryan (they elevate the material) and the action/aviation scenes were incredibly well done, to the point where I wonder if Tony Scott had this in mind when making Top Gun.

I'm not trying to heap too much praise on it though.

The aerial scenes had some potential, but they did not really work. They were done as a mish-mash of real war footage combined with some typical second unit material and the close-ups of the actors shot in a studio against rear projections. The shaky cam style looked modern, but there was always something missing, even some connecting shots missing to make the scenes work. And I never could figure out who was in which plane (except for Wayne, whose face a blind can recognize, they all looked the same) and who was shooting at whom (which is no problem in the fast edited films nowadays). 
But also I was never interested in the any of the film's characters, so I never cared who will survive and who not.

Wayne and Ryan acted for me like they did not live in the same universe. Wayne was Wayne but Ryan was far less good than usual, and their conflicts left me cold.

Do you think there was anything Ray specific in Flying Leathernecks?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14305 on: November 18, 2014, 06:29:18 AM »

I Vitelloni(1953) - 6/10. The film has two insuperable flaws: a ridiculous ending, and characters we cannot care about (young Italian males are, it appears, insufferable). Fellini, however, shows his chops as writer-director: he does well evoking a specific time and place (Rimini in the 50s--without actually filming in Rimini); the various anecdotes, clearly culled from life, are deftly limned. And the bit with the angel is interesting enough to contemplate at length, post screening.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14306 on: November 18, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »

Somewhere in the Night (1946)  re-watch 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14307 on: November 18, 2014, 07:40:33 AM »

I Vitelloni(1953) - 6/10. The film has two insuperable flaws: a ridiculous ending, and characters we cannot care about (young Italian males are, it appears, insufferable). Fellini, however, shows his chops as writer-director: he does well evoking a specific time and place (Rimini in the 50s--without actually filming in Rimini); the various anecdotes, clearly culled from life, are deftly limned. And the bit with the angel is interesting enough to contemplate at length, post screening.

so you're saying Leone should have made Viale Glorioso, after all?  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14308 on: November 18, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »

The Dogs of War (1980) - 7/10

Walken after TDH and Berenger before P, and a couple of 'em more to fill the rest of the spots. The only major fault I can find is the direction of the action scenes, which seem bland and somewhat motionless, especially taken in consideration they happen in what seems to be the climax of the movie. The rest is by no means extraordinary but menages to get the point across, and as you can guess from the very beginning bigger-than-life ideas and messages don't quite fit here. Still, I watch it every few years, it's a good male-audience oriented period war-action-drama, with the ending that works very well the first time you watch it.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14309 on: November 18, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

so you're saying Leone should have made Viale Glorioso, after all?  Wink
Only if he was willing to kill off his protagonists. Man, after 20 minutes with these characters, I wanted them all to die agonizing deaths.

Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM