Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 05:18:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832549 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14310 on: November 18, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »

The Fugitive (1947) - 6/10 - Pompous religious allegory of the sort where characters are named The Priest, The Woman and the Lieutenant. Henry Fonda gives one of his worst performances; Pedro Armendariz, in contrast, does excellent work. Beautifully shot but the story doesn't hang together; a collection of tableaux, an art gallery rather than a movie. Leone fans, note the scene where Ward Bond adds value to his own wanted poster.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:15:16 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14311 on: November 19, 2014, 07:42:14 AM »

I like the novel better. The movie goes out of its way to make Walken's character sympathetic while Forsyth admits from the word go he's a bastard.

I sensed something like that was going on.

I take it the poor black kid Shannon befriends isn't in the novel?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14312 on: November 19, 2014, 12:17:38 PM »

Wild Things (1998) - 6.5/10

Really, like isn't this the crème de la crème of this sort of schlocky MTV-esque crap? I don't believe any comes even close to being this entertaining.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14313 on: November 19, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »

The aerial scenes had some potential, but they did not really work. They were done as a mish-mash of real war footage combined with some typical second unit material and the close-ups of the actors shot in a studio against rear projections. The shaky cam style looked modern, but there was always something missing, even some connecting shots missing to make the scenes work. And I never could figure out who was in which plane (except for Wayne, whose face a blind can recognize, they all looked the same) and who was shooting at whom (which is no problem in the fast edited films nowadays).  
But also I was never interested in the any of the film's characters, so I never cared who will survive and who not.

Wayne and Ryan acted for me like they did not live in the same universe. Wayne was Wayne but Ryan was far less good than usual, and their conflicts left me cold.

Do you think there was anything Ray specific in Flying Leathernecks?

Not really, only the pretty technicolor look reminds me of any of Ray's traits. There's really nothing thematically or in tone that's his, but it's a decent war movie with two great leads and I love those aviation scenes. I thought they blend in pretty well.

If there's a doc or book about war films or aviation in films, this deserves a mention, that's about it.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:26:09 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14314 on: November 19, 2014, 07:16:14 PM »

I take it the poor black kid Shannon befriends isn't in the novel?

Unless memory's playing tricks on me, that whole section's pretty terse in the novel. I certainly don't remember Shannon getting captured and tortured at any point.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14315 on: November 19, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »

Unless memory's playing tricks on me, that whole section's pretty terse in the novel. I certainly don't remember Shannon getting captured and tortured at any point.

funny, I was just discussing this with a friend a couple of hours ago: how do you define "terse"?

My friend used "terse" to mean "brief," whereas I was under the impression that it doesn't merely mean "brief," but it means being brief with a rude connotation. Like, giving a terse answer means giving a brief answer with an implication of rude manner.
Well, I checked it up on Google's definitions (which I do not like very much) http://goo.gl/Ko8195 and they consider it synonymous with "brief." But the Merriam-Webster online, owned by Encycopaedia Brittanaca (which IMO is better) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terse uses my definition, that it has a rude connotation.

I think you're using the Google definition, eh?  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14316 on: November 19, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »

It was the first word that came to mind. I didn't put much thought into it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14317 on: November 19, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »

It was the first word that came to mind. I didn't put much thought into it.

and therein lies the problem  Tongue

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14318 on: November 20, 2014, 06:06:03 AM »

funny, I was just discussing this with a friend a couple of hours ago: how do you define "terse"?

My friend used "terse" to mean "brief," whereas I was under the impression that it doesn't merely mean "brief," but it means being brief with a rude connotation. Like, giving a terse answer means giving a brief answer with an implication of rude manner.
Well, I checked it up on Google's definitions (which I do not like very much) http://goo.gl/Ko8195 and they consider it synonymous with "brief." But the Merriam-Webster online, owned by Encycopaedia Brittanaca (which IMO is better) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terse uses my definition, that it has a rude connotation.

"The President offered a terse statement on his new policy." [The statement was brief only, not rude]

"When asked for clarification, the President was terse with the reporter." [The reply was brief, and possibly also rude]

Context makes the difference.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14319 on: November 20, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »

Interstellar 4/5

I loved a lot of what I saw but I see the flaws. They should of pumped the brakes a bit in the beginning and build the relationships that I was supposed to care for later on in the movie. It just seemed like Nolan was trying to get to space as fast as possible. All the scenes involving space travel and landing on the alien worlds was absolutely fantastic. I was seeing and believing different worlds when they walked on those planets. An entire planet made of water and another with volcanic rock landscape were just awe inspiring to see. Then there is the docking scene later on in the movie which I just was at the edge of my seat the entire time. I don't think that relationship between the father and daughter is the most well developed but then again I think it works well enough to make the scene taking place in the 5th Dimension work. Also, I think the score is probably Hans Zimmer's best just for the fact that I can remember the notes after I saw the movie. I see more good than bad at the end of the day so I'll give it a 4/5. I have to admit though that after it was over and I walked back to my car, I checked out the stars for a bit.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14320 on: November 21, 2014, 02:28:50 AM »

Just saw The Lovers (1958). I just KNOW that DJ couldn't get enough of beautiful Jeanne Moreau in a beautiful sleeveless black dress lifting her beautiful arms to revealing a very unbeautiful patch of armpit hair  Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14321 on: November 21, 2014, 04:30:17 AM »

In the last few days....

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) 10/10
Killers Kiss (1955) 10/10
Crime Wave (1954) 10/10
Blue Velvet (1986) 10/10

Afro Afro Afro

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:34:03 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14322 on: November 21, 2014, 07:03:09 AM »

Just saw The Lovers (1958). I just KNOW that DJ couldn't get enough of beautiful Jeanne Moreau in a beautiful sleeveless black dress lifting her beautiful arms to revealing a very unbeautiful patch of armpit hair  Grin
I knew there must have been a reason I've been saving that one. OhBoyOhBoyOhBoy!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14323 on: November 21, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »

So! During my flight to New Orleans I saw at least a good chunk (not too sure when I slept) of many movies I wanted to give a shot. I expected a lot from none of these but I wanted to be sure and see what had to be taken from them, so a 10 hours flight with free VOD was the perfect opportunity.

x-men: day of the future past - 5.5/10
This is officially my favorite superhero film that goes by the book (that is to say outside the dark knight, watchmen and unbreakable). It's also every well shot for a blockbuster and the script is far from lazy. Still, bad over explaining dialogues and some ridiculous stakes all over the place. The modern days scenes are here to remind you how much superhero films usually suck. A few very good scenes though, such as the full bullet time scene (that convinced me to see the movie).

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 3.5/10
They slightly corrected the flaws (scenes with humans) and greatly diminished the strengths (scenes with Apes) of the first, an then, they got worst at CGI, which is a huge no go for such a film. Not the worst film ever but absolutely no reason to watch it.

Godzilla - 5/10
Booooring. Every Godzilla entrance is great though. Just watch the trailer. Still, it's very well shot. Long, constructed takes extremely well photographed, on dialogues as well as action sequences. Very mature, great use of light. There is a real director in the place (although no screenwriter).

Jersey Boys - 4/10
Boring and amateurish. Bad acting apart from Walken. I only saw 20 minutes of it but I'm still rating it because I'm just way better than Drinks.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: November 21, 2014, 08:54:56 AM »

You went to NO and that's the best thing you came up with?

Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM