Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 02:23:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1808083 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14325 on: November 21, 2014, 08:59:25 AM »

x-men: day of the future past - 5.5/10
This is officially my favorite superhero film that goes by the book (that is to say outside the dark knight, watchmen and unbreakable). It's also every well shot for a blockbuster and the script is far from lazy. Still, bad over explaining dialogues and some ridiculous stakes all over the place. The modern days scenes are here to remind you how much superhero films usually suck. A few very good scenes though, such as the full bullet time scene (that convinced me to see the movie).
No other scene approached the excellence of that one though, eh? By "modern day scenes" I take it you mean those set in the 70s?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14326 on: November 21, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »

You went to NO and that's the best thing you came up with?
No other scene approached the excellence of that one though, eh? By "modern day scenes" I take it you mean those set in the 70s?

Yeah, that was the best scene by far.

No by modern days I mean those when they're old and their castle is under attack.

You went to NO and that's the best thing you came up with?

I am in NO right now, just having my first breakfast. I'll tell the cool stuff in the appropriate thread Wink

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:07:43 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14327 on: November 21, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »

Yeah, that was the best scene by far.

No by modern days I mean those when they're old and their castle is under attack.
Uh, then wouldn't those be called . . .  Days of the Future (or "future days," or simply, "the future")?

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14328 on: November 21, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »

Killers Kiss (1955) 10/10

Can you give more of your opinion on this one?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14329 on: November 21, 2014, 07:27:21 PM »

Uh, then wouldn't those be called . . .  Days of the Future (or "future days," or simply, "the future")?

That's a good point. For my defense, I wrote the post after a full night of work followed by a 16 hours trip.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14330 on: November 21, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »

Can you give more of your opinion on this one?

Killer's Kiss (1955) director Stanley Kubric, with Frank Silvera as sleazy dime-a-dance hall owner Vincent Rapallo, Jamie Smith as boxer Davey Gordon, Irene Kane as ballroom taxi dancer Gloria Price and Jerry Jarrett as Albert (the fight manager). Could very well be the quintessential New York Noir, from the opening scenes of the old Pennsylvania Station, the decadence of Times Square to the industrial alleys and rooftops of lower Manhattan, it speaks volumes of what can be accomplished in a short film on a shoe string using real locations, and of the talent of Kubric as a director, writter, cinematographer, and editor.

<spoilers>

The story is basically, a prize fighter falls for the taxi dancer he peeps on from across the air shaft in his apartment house, juxtaposed cuts of him fighting a loosing bout in the ring and her fighting off the advances of her horny boss establish the dynamics of the story. He comes to her rescue after Rapallo accosts Gloria in her apartment, and they hit it off. Exchanging hard luck stories they decide to take a vacation from the city and to travel West to Seattle to a horse farm that Davey's uncle owns.

Davey needs his money from his last fight and Gloria needs her paycheck. They arrange with Davey's manager to meet at the ballroom. All goes hay-wire and the events that propel the story to a memorable conclusion are started in motion.

Definitely on the A-list with another 10/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14331 on: November 21, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »

I Wake Up Screaming  (1941)  upping this to an 8/10 upon a re-watch noticed how effective the score was this go round.

from IMDb: Michael Coy

Music is used effectively throughout. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" (the hit from the recent 'Wizard Of Oz') is Frankie and Jill's love theme. Vicky's signature tune is a wonderfully decadent jazz melody
(Street Scene), brassily scored. Plot points are nicely underlined by discords in the incidental music, and during Cornell's final speech, Vicky's theme is reprised with great poignance and beauty on a muted trumpet.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:51:54 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: November 21, 2014, 10:00:01 PM »

Killer's Kiss (1955) director Stanley Kubric, with Frank Silvera as sleazy dime-a-dance hall owner Vincent Rapallo, Jamie Smith as boxer Davey Gordon, Irene Kane as ballroom taxi dancer Gloria Price and Jerry Jarrett as Albert (the fight manager). Could very well be the quintessential New York Noir, from the opening scenes of the old Pennsylvania Station, the decadence of Times Square to the industrial alleys and rooftops of lower Manhattan, it speaks volumes of what can be accomplished in a short film on a shoe string using real locations, and of the talent of Kubric as a director, writter, cinematographer, and editor.

<spoilers>

The story is basically, a prize fighter falls for the taxi dancer he peeps on from across the air shaft in his apartment house, juxtaposed cuts of him fighting a loosing bout in the ring and her fighting off the advances of her horny boss establish the dynamics of the story. He comes to her rescue after Rapallo accosts Gloria in her apartment, and they hit it off. Exchanging hard luck stories they decide to take a vacation from the city and to travel West to Seattle to a horse farm that Davey's uncle owns.

Davey needs his money from his last fight and Gloria needs her paycheck. They arrange with Davey's manager to meet at the ballroom. All goes hay-wire and the events that propel the story to a memorable conclusion are started in motion.

Definitely on the A-list with another 10/10.

I should definitely re-watch it now.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14333 on: November 22, 2014, 07:00:52 AM »

10/10 seems extremely high for Killer's Kiss.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14334 on: November 22, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »

10/10 seems extremely high for Killer's Kiss.

It's got everything in it that I like, and I really don't see any glaring flaws, and it's not a Hollywood production, hence 10/10.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:10:21 AM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14335 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »

Running on Empty (1988) 8.5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14336 on: November 23, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »

The Master - 8/10 - Enjoyed it: great acting, beautiful direction, unsettling atmosphere. Will take awhile to process. Jenkins will surely say I must watch it eight times to fully "get it," but I don't have that kind of time.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14337 on: November 23, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »

The Master - 8/10 - Enjoyed it: great acting, beautiful direction, unsettling atmosphere. Will take awhile to process.
You should watch it eight times until you fully get it. Clear space on that busy schedule of yours (and what is it, exactly, that takes up so much of your time?)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14338 on: November 23, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »

what is it, exactly, that takes up so much of your time?)

Posting here.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14339 on: November 23, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »

Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM