Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:30:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1833930 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14385 on: December 02, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »

Hated the review, hated the rating, hated the writer.
Fuck off, fuck off, fuck off!!!!  Afro

Kingpin - 8
Loved the characters, loved the humor, loved narrative structure.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14386 on: December 02, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »

The Getaway 4/5

First time I watched it I didn't really care for it. This 2nd time though it just clicked for me.  I should probably get onto reading the actual novel to see that mexico ending.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14387 on: December 03, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »

The Getaway 4/5

First time I watched it I didn't really care for it. This 2nd time though it just clicked for me.  I should probably get onto reading the actual novel to see that mexico ending.
I assume you're talking Peckinpah, not the remake?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14388 on: December 03, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »

Fuck off, fuck off, fuck off!!!!  Afro
That sure is a lot. I don't think I have the strength.

Hey, I'm here at the Air France lounge at JFK! They've got all the bisque you can eat. And free Courvoisier! I might end up missing my flight . . .

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14389 on: December 03, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »

I assume you're talking Peckinpah, not the remake?

Definitely talking about the Peckinpah adaptation.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14390 on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »

Magic in the Moonlight - 5/10
Unremarkable new woody allen movie

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14391 on: December 03, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »

Flame and Chitron - 7/10 - Another tale of WWII Resistance, this one out of Denmark. This entry delves a bit more into its protagonists' private lives than, say, Black Book or Army of Crime, but the brutal killings, double-crosses and dubious wartime morality are still front and center. This appears to be based on a true story albeit not one I'm familiar with, so I'll give the film some leeway with credibility issues. Certainly it doesn't whitewash its protagonists like Army of Crime, a major plus.

I just saw Army of Crime, I give it a 7.5/10

What do you mean about AoC "whitewashing its protagonists"? You are referring to the movie whitewashing the evils of Communism?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14392 on: December 04, 2014, 05:16:23 AM »

Wild At Heart (1990) Its got some outstanding segments interspersed with others that are just distractions and some that are borderline ridiculous.  Seems this film just strayed off the Lynch reservation a bit too far, Neo Noir meets The Wizard of OZ. On a re-watch 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14393 on: December 04, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

The Conversation (1974) - 8.2/10

I haven't seen this in what must have been decades... I believe it deserves even a higher rating due to the performances and story-crafting, yet what bothers me is the silly lower level of the story in which Caul is somewhat of a legend in his work... what's up with that?? And the technical fair with all the gadgets from various manufacturers? Huh Like it's a hobby like any other... I don't understand how these things worked in the US back then, but how was it possible/legal for a civilian to have someone else surveyed anyway??

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14394 on: December 04, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »

Unless, of course, it was all but a dream.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14395 on: December 04, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »

And the technical fair with all the gadgets from various manufacturers? Huh Like it's a hobby like any other... I don't understand how these things worked in the US back then, but how was it possible/legal for a civilian to have someone else surveyed anyway??
The act of wiretapping was/is illegal. I don't know about now, but at the time the film was made it was legal to own and/or sell wiretapping equipment. You just could not legally use the devices. Of course, if there's a trade in this kind of gear the buyers/sellers are going to be using the stuff, but the philosophy that most law enforcement operates under in this country has been to get involved after a crime has occurred, not before. And the movie was made before the great tradition of government sting operations came into its own. Today one or more federal agencies might run a technical fare like the one depicted to get data on perps or potentials, or they might even entrap individuals. Most savy wiretappers, of course, would be suspicious of such a fair and steer clear, which is why that kind of fair probably wouldn't really happen today. Even at the time of the movie the scene was somewhat satirical, but believable. Such an event could have happened. Perhaps the analogy with gun ownership is helpful: it is legal to buy and sell guns, but using guns for illegal purposes will land you in jail.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14396 on: December 04, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »

I just saw Army of Crime, I give it a 7.5/10

What do you mean about AoC "whitewashing its protagonists"? You are referring to the movie whitewashing the evils of Communism?
I can't speak for Groggy, but he may be referring to the squeaky-clean aura that surrounds the protagonists. If the men had held any other kind of political philosophy they would have been depicted with flaws, weaknesses, etc. But because they are heroes of communism they are idealized to a level that beggars belief. In fact, watching the film the term hagiography came into my mind.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14397 on: December 05, 2014, 11:06:28 AM »

The act of wiretapping was/is illegal. I don't know about now, but at the time the film was made it was legal to own and/or sell wiretapping equipment. You just could not legally use the devices. Of course, if there's a trade in this kind of gear the buyers/sellers are going to be using the stuff, but the philosophy that most law enforcement operates under in this country has been to get involved after a crime has occurred, not before. And the movie was made before the great tradition of government sting operations came into its own. Today one or more federal agencies might run a technical fare like the one depicted to get data on perps or potentials, or they might even entrap individuals. Most savy wiretappers, of course, would be suspicious of such a fair and steer clear, which is why that kind of fair probably wouldn't really happen today. Even at the time of the movie the scene was somewhat satirical, but believable. Such an event could have happened. Perhaps the analogy with gun ownership is helpful: it is legal to buy and sell guns, but using guns for illegal purposes will land you in jail.

Thx, more or less what I thought.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14398 on: December 05, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »

We Own the Night (2007) - 4.5/10

Subpar.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14399 on: December 06, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »

We Own the Night (2007) - 4.5/10

Subpar.

On a side note, it features one of the greatest tension scene ever (the drug lab). And my second favorite car chase in film history (the car chase). And the worst ending line ever.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:11:26 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM