Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:07:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 959 960 [961] 962 963 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767675 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14400 on: December 06, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »

We Own the Night (2007) - 4.5/10

Subpar.

On a side note, it features one of the greatest tension scene ever (the drug lab). And my second favorite car chase in film history (the car chase). And the worst ending line ever.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:11:26 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14401 on: December 06, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »

Narrow Margin (1990) - 6.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14402 on: December 06, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »

On a side note, it features one of the greatest tension scene ever (the drug lab). And my second favorite car chase in film history (the car chase). And the worst ending line ever.

Amazing, I can't even remember that there was a car chase in this film.

Noodles which is the other car chase of the 2 you ever saw? Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14403 on: December 06, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

I can't speak for Groggy, but he may be referring to the squeaky-clean aura that surrounds the protagonists. If the men had held any other kind of political philosophy they would have been depicted with flaws, weaknesses, etc. But because they are heroes of communism they are idealized to a level that beggars belief. In fact, watching the film the term hagiography came into my mind.

I wasn't familiar with Robert Guédiguian before, but I saw his discussion in the bonus features, yeah, he explicitly says that he is trying to advocate for Left-wing ideals in cinema, for Leftists to be proud of these moments in their history.

I am as staunch an anti-Communist as Guédiguian is a commie, but this communist issue didn't bother me at all in this movie we are discussing, Army of Crime. We're talking about fighting the Nazis. The Communists indeed played an important part in the French Resistance. (Even Melville, at the beginning of Army of Shadows, makes reference to this, when Lino Ventura calls one of his fellow prisoners comrade - an acknowledgement (by the Ventura character and really by Melville) of the important role the Communists played in fighting the Nazis.) Should their story not be told - with admiration? The point here is how a group of young "outsiders" - immigrants, Communists - fought the Nazis. The movie doesn't really go into the whole ideology of Communism here. It's about a group of people fighting the Nazis - to that extent, I sympathize with this group and am as supportive of them and interested in them as I am about the story of the middle-aged "white" people fighting the Nazis in Army of Shadows.

And when it comes to fighting the Nazis, I don't think it's necessary to show all the flaws in order to make it interesting. I am certainly not saying that nobody in the French Resistance had flaws. What I am saying is, if a movie is about a group of people fighting for an admirable cause, I can get behind that cause (and enjoy the film if it is well-made) without worrying about, hey there are other things about these people that aren't discussed much.
Of course, Guédiguian chose to focus on this group because he is a Leftist, so perhaps he is most proud or can relate most to this faction of the Resistance.

But as a viewer, if there is a well-made movie about people fighting the Nazis, I can appreciate watching that conflict; that conflict can be the basis of the movie; I don't require a whole character study and showing everything (good or bad) about these people. I'm not saying that because they fought the Nazis, they didn't have flaws or the flaws should not be discussed. I'm saying that showing a group of people fighting against the Nazis is enough of a story that I don't feel cheated if a movie doesn't get into the other parts of these peoples' lives.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:32:48 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14404 on: December 06, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »

Lost Highway (1997) Neo Noir from the Twilight Zone amazing soundtrack and visuals. Gets better every watch 10/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14405 on: December 06, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »

Amazing, I can't even remember that there was a car chase in this film.

Noodles which is the other car chase of the 2 you ever saw? Wink

Grin

Terminator II has the best car chase i know of. Mad Max II also has a better car chase than we own the night so I have to correct my previous post. WOTN only has the 3rd greatest car chase.

Lost Highway (1997) Neo Noir from the Twilight Zone amazing soundtrack and visuals. Gets better every watch 10/10.

Afro

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:32:16 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14406 on: December 06, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was just released on BRD. Not sure where to mention it cuz that film has no special thread, so I'll do so here.
Here's what Beaver has to say http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_64/mr_smith_goes_to_washington_blu-ray.htm

I just rented the BRD from Netflix, I'll watch it soon; it'll be my first-ever viewing of the movie  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14407 on: December 07, 2014, 03:02:56 AM »

Terminator II has the best car chase i know of. Mad Max II also has a better car chase than we own the night so I have to correct my previous post. WOTN only has the 3rd greatest car chase.

Interesting. Terminator never impressed me in any respect. It is an ok movie, well directed, but often infantile too. 6/10

One of the greatest car chases is still that in Bullitt, but the most impressing is probably the one which opens Quantum of Solace. Both are also the most cinematic car chases.

The one in Matrix 2 is also stunning (the film not so much)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14408 on: December 07, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »

Interesting. Terminator never impressed me in any respect. It is an ok movie, well directed, but often infantile too. 6/10

One of the greatest car chases is still that in Bullitt, but the most impressing is probably the one which opens Quantum of Solace. Both are also the most cinematic car chases.

The one in Matrix 2 is also stunning (the film not so much)

I really like the bullit chase, of course, but the Matrix 2 chase disappointed me , mainly because it was advertised as the greatest car chase ever so it was very hard to live up to that. But also because of the overuse of badCGI.

I'M alone here but T2 is my favorite action movie. Yes it's childish, but it has everything I look in an action film: great action of course, adventure, originality, characters, humor and technical perfection.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14409 on: December 07, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »

I'M alone here
So true. So very true. But if you decide to scream, rest assured, it will be heard.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14410 on: December 07, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »

An Affair to Remember - 8/10 - Liked it more than I was expecting: remove the obnoxious singing kids and it's an all-time classic. Cary Grant's never been better; Deborah Kerr definitely has, but she's pleasant to watch all the same.

Breakheart Pass - 7/10 - Alistair Maclean Western with Charles Bronson as a secret agent ferreting out killers on an Army train. No real surprises but an enjoyable mix of action and suspense.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14411 on: December 07, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »

An Affair to Remember - 8/10 - Liked it more than I was expecting: remove the obnoxious singing kids and it's an all-time classic. Cary Grant's never been better; Deborah Kerr definitely has, but she's pleasant to watch all the same.

funny that you mention this: I was just looking at TCM's upcoming schedule, to set my DVR for the week, and I see that this movie will be playing on Monday at 8 PM http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2014-12-08
I was debating if I should see it or not; Cary Grant is the one actor I can't stand probably literally more than any other. Every time he speaks he makes my skin crawl, I just can't stand the sound of his voice. I've forced myself to watch a few of his famous movies (Notorious, North by Northwest), not sure if I'll end up watching this one.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14412 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:29 AM »

Not as a Stranger (1955) 7/10

Olivia de Havilland does a really good Swedish accent here. (Well a well-known actor does an accent, they better get it right. Having recently seen Robert De Niro fail miserably in attempting a Southern accent in Cape Fear, there is nothing worse than a well-known actor doing an accent badly. If we know what you normally sound like and now you are doing a different accent, you damn straight better get it right or don't even try. And de Havilland indeed does a convincing accent.)
Sorry, DJ, I still like watching Joan Fontaine more than de Havilland. Maybe cuz Fontaine is better-looking. But no doubt both are great actresses.   Wink

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14413 on: December 08, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »

The Long Goodbye (1973) - 9/10
New Blu-ray release. Absolutely excellent, as always. One of the greatest noir ever made, and Altman more or less at the top of his game. Nothing but praise. Makes me wish Inherent Vice was this good - there are plenty of comparisons.

The Skeleton Twins (2014) - 7.5/10
More or less follows the formula of most other hipster-indie-dramedies, with hints of child molestation and strong emphasis on suicide making it a bit darker than most. Other than that it's a well told story with well-developed characters and dark humor. Worth checking out.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14414 on: December 09, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »

A Most Wanted Man (2014) - 2.5/10
By far the most impressive part about this movie is how dull the characters are. I can't even imagine how someone could possibly write something so empty and lifeless. What an awful final movie lead role for Philip Seymour Hoffman. And before you can conjure up a condescending answer: fuck you davejenkins (I can only assume my utter hatred of a movie = your undying love for it, and vice versa, 95% of the time).

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:13:11 PM by PowerRR » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 959 960 [961] 962 963 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM