Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 05:26:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760737 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14430 on: December 15, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »

Winter's Bone 12"/12". I got one for Spring, Summer, and Fall too.  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: December 15, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »

DJ, you're a funny man.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14432 on: December 15, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »

Panic Room (2002) - 5/5

Probably would be in the 'Top 5' list of favorite David Fincher films.

A Better Tomorrow (1986) - 4/5

I didn't much care for this the first time I saw it. 2nd viewing though has really changed my mind on it. That hallway shootout scene is really fantastic.

The American (2010) - 5/5

I remember enjoying it when I saw it on the big screen and with a recent purchase of it, I still enjoy it. Anything that has hints of Le Samourai is something I would probably check out.

The Element of Crime (1984) - 5/5

I bought the Criterion a couple of years ago and the first time I saw it, I didn't care much for it. I recently saw it again in the collection and decided to give it another shot. I forgot how visually great it was. I enjoyed it way more now than I did before.

Europa (1991) - 5/5

Liked it better with this recent viewing.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:17:59 AM by Kurug3n » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: December 16, 2014, 02:20:29 AM »

DJ, you're a funny man.

And a modest one too ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: December 16, 2014, 02:48:15 AM »

I Loved a Woman (1933) 7/10

I hate how almost any rich businessman in the movies has to be a crook, as if there are no ethical rich men, but hey, I guess that's what movies were like during the Depression (even though this movie takes place years before the Depression). But overall, this is a decent movie. Don't let the title fool you; this ain't no romantic comedy or something; this is a drama about a businessman (Edward G. Robinson) ditching his ethics and unethically building up his Chicago meatpacking business, all because, yes, he loved a woman (not his wife), played by Kay Francis.
So many movies from the early 30's are insufferable, but this one is better than most.

Give it a look next time it plays TCM.

oh, and btw, "Home on the Range" is a nice song  Afro

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:53:22 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: December 16, 2014, 02:17:58 PM »

Black Narcissus (1947) - 5/10
Unbearably bad melodramatic acting, with a premise much more interesting than it's execution. It's like the movie never really knows what it wants its focus to be: the hospital and the nuns adjusting to life in the Himalayas? The prince kid and his education? The sexual tension between the nuns and Mr. Dean? None of it was all that interesting to me, and the lack of a focus toward one of those things made it harder to get into the characters. Of course, the use of color and cinematography, what the film is renowned for, is pretty fucking good. Not to mention a few editing techniques that make it feel far ahead of its time (only specific instances, most of the film's structure and execution is fairly bland). As far as Powell goes this isn't nearly as good as Red Shoes or Peeping Tom, the only other two I've seen.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14436 on: December 16, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »

Black Narcissus (1947) - 5/10
It's like the movie never really knows what it wants its focus to be: the hospital and the nuns adjusting to life in the Himalayas? The prince kid and his education? The sexual tension between the nuns and Mr. Dean? None of it was all that interesting to me, and the lack of a focus toward one of those things made it harder to get into the characters.

The prince kid and his education and the sexual tension between the nuns and Mr. Dean is all part of the nuns adjusting to life in the Himalayas. It's about the challenges the nuns face operating out there. Is that enough of a "focus"? Does there have to be just one problem?
This is a very good movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14437 on: December 16, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »

Anyone going into a P&P film for plot or "focus" is running a fool's errand, anyway.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: December 16, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »

The prince kid and his education and the sexual tension between the nuns and Mr. Dean is all part of the nuns adjusting to life in the Himalayas. It's about the challenges the nuns face operating out there. Is that enough of a "focus"? Does there have to be just one problem?
This is a very good movie.
It seems to want to be more about the sexual tension between nuns and Mr. Dean, but it's the shades of all the other subplots (including the prince kid, maybe the worst actor in  any movie I've seen in a while) that make the pacing and structure feel very off to me. Fine if the movie in general was about nuns adjusting to life in the Himalayas, but the subplots are so imbalanced that it's hard for me to devote my attention to any.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: December 16, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »

Black Mirror (Series 1 & 2) - 7.5/10
A British television series comprised of 6 episodes total. It's like The Twilight Zone meets The Decalogue, but instead of each episode relating to the ten commandments, they relate to the plausible dangers of technology in the near future. All episodes are good, some better than others.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14440 on: December 17, 2014, 12:44:07 PM »

Black Mirror (Series 1 & 2) - 7.5/10
A British television series comprised of 6 episodes total. It's like The Twilight Zone meets The Decalogue, but instead of each episode relating to the ten commandments, they relate to the plausible dangers of technology in the near future. All episodes are good, some better than others.

If I had to watch only 1 to 3 of them, which ones would you recommend? I've worked on a similar project a few months ago and people were constantly telling us to check this out.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14441 on: December 17, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »

If I had to watch only 1 to 3 of them, which ones would you recommend? I've worked on a similar project a few months ago and people were constantly telling us to check this out.

1. Be Right Back
2. The Entire History of You
3. Fifteen Million Merits
4. White Bear
5. The National Anthem
6. The Waldo Moment

That's how I'd rank them best to worst. I also watched the Christmas Special which aired last night. It's almost twice the length of a standard episode, stars Jon Hamm, and is probably the best of all of them. A little twist-heavy though.

They're all more or less just as good though, and I can see how someone else's list may be completely different. I liked Be Right Back the most of the standard episodes because it's the most personal, focused, thought-provoking, and emotionally interesting. But those are qualities of every episode.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:07:32 PM by PowerRR » Logged
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14442 on: December 17, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »

Lone Survivor (2013) - 7.5/10
Cool movie. Nice job.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: December 17, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »

Bullet in the Head (1990) 4/5

Probably John Woo's best film but not my favorite.

A Better Tomorrow (1986) - 4/5

Probably my favorite but its tough choosing either this or The Killer

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14444 on: December 17, 2014, 08:21:23 PM »

Ida (2013) - 4/10
Boring, dull, lifeless. Pretty good B&W cinematography is ruined by the insistence to place every character and subject on the bottom third of the frame. It's unmotivated camera/character placement that is really only used to make the movie look a bit more "unique" and "artsy" - similar to what Tom Hooper did with King's Speech and Les Miserables. It's trying to compensate for a lack of artistic style by forcing one that doesn't make sense narratively. But that really doesn't bother me as much as the lack of character and unbearably dull story.

Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM