Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:54:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764915 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14460 on: December 19, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »

How often do you 3 see movies together?

Here we are, dj, cj, and dd (Joan & I were finishing up a Noir shoot we started last year hence the trench & the fedora):

dd & dj:

and our fourth member:

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »

And a historical valuable photo with the poster of the film which no one will ever see.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: December 19, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »

uggghhh both pictures you got of me are while I am laughing. CJ is the only guy I know who doesn't say 1-2-3 go before taking a picture. At the risk of sounding like a high-school girl, I think these are the two worst pics ever taken of me.

No hard feelings  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14463 on: December 19, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »

High school girl.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14464 on: December 19, 2014, 10:31:23 PM »

Whatta buncha hunks

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: December 20, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »

Winter Sleep (2014) - 10/10. Sub-Chekhov in Cappadocia, or 3-hours-plus of people talking. But it's OK because it was filmed with the Sony F65. There's one nighttime sequence that I swear was shot without any illumination whatsoever, just silhouettes against the night sky: detail was lacking, but there was an image there, something that never could have been achieved on film.  At other times, in scenes with plenty of light, colors and details are impressively realistic. Depth-of-field is also often very good. I cannot discount the possibility that some CGI was used. Storywise things take their time as characters--often in monologues--reveal themselves. Tension is manifest among all the characters, between the main character and a boy with a rock, between the main character and his wife, between the main character and the man he employs, between the main character and the local school teacher, between the main character and the local imam, between the main character's sister and the main character's wife, between the main character's wife and a family she wants to help. There are no good guys and no bad guys; everyone has their reasons.

This is, of course, an art film, so Mr. RRPower should stay far, far away.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: December 20, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »

lol I watched the first hour and I thought it was excellent. I'll watch the whole thing from the beginning soon enough

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: December 20, 2014, 06:52:48 PM »

Mr. Turner (2014) - 8/10. There are times when this seems like the most beautiful film ever made, especially when the filmmakers, through a combination of photography and CGI, reproduce some of Turner's most impressive paintings and then have characters from the story walk about in them. In the joining scenes where this doesn't happen, however, the viewer is free to reflect on the plot, at which point he realizes there isn't much to it. Just a series of episodes in the life of a guy who had it easy and knew a lot of eccentric people (evidently Victorian Englishmen and women were all nuts).

I'm not a Mike Leigh person. I've only ever seen one other of his films, and that was Topsy-Turvy (1999), which, I was given to understand, was not typical. However, I enjoyed that film about Gilbert & Sullivan, so when I heard Mr. Leigh was doing a project about another 19th century talent, I thought it would be worth a look. And it was. But the comparison with TT, which the new film invites, does not show Mr. Turner to advantage.

Part of the problem is that Mr. Leigh's interests don't seem to have changed much in 15 years. In Mr. Turner we get the inevitable What Will They Think of Next scene (in this case over the advent of photography; in TT there were two, one about the telephone and one concerning the fountain pen). MT has scenes demonstrating the unusual relationship between the artist and his father; TT also has an amusing encounter between Gilbert and his dad. MT documents the way in which Turner cruelly used and abandoned his housekeeper; TT ends with an indirect indictment of Gilbert by his wife for his neglectful treatment or her. MT shows members of the Royal Academy in collegial circumstances; TT has the cast of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company demonstrating their camaraderie. And so on.

TT had the good fortune of being about creators of both spectacle and sound, so there was plenty of audio-visual goodness to lavish on scenes. Paintings, naturally, are visual only, but MT has a decent score, sufficient to supply any sonic deficiencies.

But MT's great failing is it's plot, and that is not a problem in the earlier film. Indeed, TT begins with a classic dilemma: the heroes, at the height of their success, appear bored with their work and each other. Will they be able to carry on? The second half of the film shows how Gilbert is able to solve the problem, first by receiving inspiration to write a new work, then by writing The Mikado and passing it on to Sullivan, who in turn gets excited, etc. We see the whole process of mounting a show until we get to opening night and the duo's greatest success, which restores the relationship. It's all BS--there was never any such crisis in the real careers of G&S and The Mikado was not the catalyst for a revitalized partnership. But the fiction provided the film with the necessary dramatic arc.

Mr. Turner, by contrast, has no great conflict to work through. The film begins with the artist at the height of his success, but he is not bored--and he just goes on to more success. Yes, he has setbacks--people he knows die, for example--but such things don't touch him much. He just gets on with his work. He's lonely, and then one day he meets a woman--rather pedestrian stuff, this. Eventually his health deteriorates and after a long while he dies. The end. Well, thanks for all the nice paintings. Which one were you again, Constable? No, that's right . . . Turner.

Timothy Spall is sure to get a lot of plaudits for his performance in the title role, but much of that performance consists of grimaces and grunts. He is adequate, I suppose, although I know nothing of the historical man he is personating. But when I think of Topsy-Turvy, and Mr. Spall's wonderful turn there as actor-singer Richard Temple--well, it's too frustrating to dwell upon. But did I mention that Mr. Turner looks very nice?

This is, of course, a film about art, so Mr. RRPower should stay far, far away.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:58:04 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: December 21, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »

Flirting with Disaster (1996) - 8.5/10
Jauja (2014) - 6/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: December 21, 2014, 11:53:53 AM »

The Horsemen (1971) - 5/10

As the story without a story continues to meander, all the pride, ancient customs and other related stuff becomes increasingly and redundantly annoying.

Maybe cause they're hard people living a hard life that this movie end up as a hard nut to break.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14470 on: December 22, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »

THE GUNFIGHTER (1950) 9.5/10
One of the ten greatest AW's of all time - and perhaps the least mentioned among them.
I am a happy little boy today. Nuthin like the day you see a great movie for the first time (or for the second time, if the first time was a very long time ago, as in this case Smiley )
Extensive discussion in that movie's thread.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: December 22, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »

Falling Down (1993) - 5/10
Really weak characters and mediocre performances for such a character-based movie.

Dumb and Dumber To (2014) - 5/10
Typical bad sequel.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14472 on: December 22, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »

Birdman, Or: The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance - 8/10 - Didn't like the story overmuch. Loved the acting, music, script and camerawork.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14473 on: December 22, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »

THE GUNFIGHTER (1950) 9.5/10
One of the ten greatest AW's of all time - and perhaps the least mentioned among them.
I am a happy little boy today. Nuthin like the day you see a great movie for the first time (or for the second time, if the first time was a very long time ago, as in this case Smiley )
Extensive discussion in that movie's thread.

Yeah that's an awesome flick. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: December 22, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »

Birdman, Or: The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance - 8/10 - Didn't like the story overmuch. Loved the acting, music, script and camerawork.
Did I hear you right? You "loved the . . . music"? Huh. I guess there's hope for you after all.

The story, such as it is, is the least consequential element of the film (what's up with that ending?). It's just a structure, AFAICT, from which to hang all the other good things you mention. So people who are hung up on the film's message are just being asinine.

Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM