Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:35:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1829957 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14475 on: December 23, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »

Dumb and Dumber (1994) - 8.5/10
There's Something About Mary (1998) - 8/10

The humor is clearly hit-or-miss, but the Farrelly brothers have proven to at least be excellent storytellers. Even their most cliche stories and structures feel somewhat different. I've been very impressed and entertained by their work, more so than I was when I was younger. I had seen both before but appreciate them more now - and how did I never notice how fucking hot Cameron Diaz is?

'71 (2014) - 7.1/10
Really good indie war thriller. Not really getting much attention, but it definitely deserves more. Better than a lot of movies this year. Check it out.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:04:41 AM by PowerRR » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14476 on: December 23, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »

There's Something About Mary (1998) - 8/10

The humor is clearly hit-or-miss, but the Farrelly brothers have proven to at least be excellent storytellers. Even their most cliche stories and structures feel somewhat different. I've been very impressed and entertained by their work, more so than I was when I was younger. I had seen both before but appreciate them more now - and how did I never notice how fucking hot Cameron Diaz is?

Ahh, that shit brings me back. I saw There's Something About Mary when I was 13 (long before The Patriot was ever a glimmer in Mel Gibson's eye) and was smitten - by the movie and Cameron Diaz. Musta watched it five or ten times and dreamed about that girl day and night.
I remember we once had a school party and I put hair gel on my ear.

Now I don't think Diaz is that hot, but she'll always be my first love  Kiss

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: December 23, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »

Ahh, that shit brings me back. I saw There's Something About Mary when I was 13 (long before The Patriot was ever a glimmer in Mel Gibson's eye) and was smitten - by the movie and Cameron Diaz. Musta watched it five or ten times and dreamed about that girl day and night.
I remember we once had a school party and I put hair gel on my ear.

Now I don't think Diaz is that hot, but she'll always be my first love  Kiss
I thought you hated comedies.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: December 23, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »

Time goes by, things change, things you once liked may not interest you anymore. Like comedies. And Cameron Diaz.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: December 23, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »

Strange Days (1995) - 4/5

I didn't care much for the reveal of who the bad guy was but other than that, I really enjoyed this. Especially Angela Bassett's role.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: December 24, 2014, 01:58:35 AM »

I thought you hated comedies.

Now we know why ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: December 24, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »

Hickey & Boggs (1972) - 8/10. 1080p. Bill Cosby and Robert Culp, together again for the first time. Or: I Spy meets The Rockford Files (a couple years before Garner's show), but with lots of fire-fights thrown in. Man, does this flick throw a lot of lead! There are shootouts at The Colesium, the parking lot at Dodger's Stadium, finally Zuma beach (or thereabouts). And what a cast! Among a host of character actors we see Robert (Mary Hartman! Mary Hartman!) Mandan, Bill Hickman (he not only drives in this one, he pilots a chopper), Tom Signorelli, Vincent Gardenia, Ed Lauter (blink and you'll miss him), James Woods, and Michael Moriarty (having what appears to be a lot of fun at the end with an M-60).  Cosby and Culp play PIs in a world that's passed them by (a character has a line about PIs being no more than process servers anymore). The script is by Walter Hill, the direction was by Culp himself (his only ever, erm, foray as a film director). The new blu is very pleasant to look at.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: December 24, 2014, 05:41:33 PM »

MY COUSIN RACHEL 7/10

Olivia de Havilland's hairstyle in this movie may be the ugliest I have ever seen in my life. It would have been better if her head were shaved clean.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: December 25, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »

MY COUSIN RACHEL 7/10

Olivia de Havilland's hairstyle in this movie may be the ugliest I have ever seen in my life. It would have been better if her head were shaved clean.
Another drunk heard from. Why don't you sober up before posting?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: December 25, 2014, 08:15:11 AM »

Another drunk heard from. Why don't you sober up before posting?

Heaven forbid to say about word about de Havilland ('s hairstylist!) No way a person in his right mind could do that, alcohol musta been the reason  Roll Eyes

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: December 25, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »

American Sniper (2014) - 9/10. Respectful bio-pic of a guy who killed a lot of people in Iraq. Well photographed for the most part (there's one nighttime sequence with ridiculous lighting, but most of the picture is shot in the day) and featuring one of the best cutting jobs I've ever seen--things move along very nicely. Although largely a sniper duel, there are plenty of heavy fire-fights scattered throughout. Funny, a character plays the same joke on a loved one here as was done in Hickey & Boggs (the old flushing-the-toilet-whilst-someone-is-in-the-shower routine). It's one thing that American humor hasn't changed much in 40 years--but toilet technology? Apparently, not much R&D is being done on that front.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: December 25, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »

Heaven forbid to say about word about de Havilland ('s hairstylist!) No way a person in his right mind could do that, alcohol musta been the reason  Roll Eyes
I don't care if you don't like the hairstyle. I'm questioning whether that's really ALL there is to say about the picture.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: December 25, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »

I don't care if you don't like the hairstyle. I'm questioning whether that's really ALL there is to say about the picture.

This is not a thread where you have to write full reviews.
A rating is enough, a rating plus a thought or two is definitely enough.
I love how you pretend this is about me picking one obscure thing out of a movie, when this is actually about you feeling insulted that I dared say a bad word about your girlfriend Ms. Havilland.

What I'm still trying to decide is, which is uglier, this hairstyle on Olivia's head or the hair in (Insert Name of European actress here)'s armpits ...  Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: December 25, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »

Glad to hear American Sniper was good.

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday - my train from Long island was delayed over half an hour yesterday because ... a windshield wiper was broken   Grin Truth is, I couldn't have made it anyway; I was carrying my laptop in my bag and wouldn't have wanted to carry it around in the rain, and I was dead tired anyway, barely had any sleep the night before, during which time I got scratched by a cat (they call it a scratch, but it is really a cut. Just like from a knife. Friggin' deep   Grin )

So, while you were greatly enjoying American Sniper on the big screen, I was having a decent time with My Cousin Rachel on a laptop on the train. First approx. half hour of that was pretty awful, I thought about shutting it off; but once Burton starts falling for her, the movie becomes good. Somehow I have a hard time with the personalities shining through behind all that costuming and makeup and stiffness of the period piece.

I'm not certain this was one of de Havilland's best performances maybe I just missed the subtlety but I do think that a really good lead male could have made this a better movie. IMO Burton is maybe a little better than average here but that's all; a really good performance by the lead male could have improved the movie.

Ooops, without even realizing it or setting out to do so, I've now said more about My Cousin Rachel than just de Havilland's hair. Though that'll always be the first, second, and third thing that come to mind when I think of this movie   Sad

p.s. There is no truth to the rumors that My Cousin Vinny is a queer remake of My Cousin Rachel.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: December 26, 2014, 01:13:29 PM »

First approx. half hour of that was pretty awful, I thought about shutting it off; but once Burton starts falling for her, the movie becomes good. Somehow I have a hard time with the personalities shining through behind all that costuming and makeup and stiffness of the period piece.

I'm not certain this was one of de Havilland's best performances maybe I just missed the subtlety but I do think that a really good lead male could have made this a better movie. IMO Burton is maybe a little better than average here but that's all; a really good performance by the lead male could have improved the movie.
I can go along with a lot of this. It was maybe Burton's first movie. He needed to develop--and he did. The subtlety in de Havilland's performance has to do with her motivation. We don't really know what she's thinking most of the time, and that's what generates and keeps our interest.  Does she do what she does just for the money? Or does she care, at least on some level, for the Richard Burton character as well? And WTF was Burton trying to pull at the end? The psychology of the characters--and our understanding of that psychology--is what makes the film. But elsewhere, Drink, you've stated that you're not interested in psychology, so I can understand this film not doing much for you. Or character studies in general. Or films about humans.

Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM