Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:00:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838476 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14490 on: December 26, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »

Big Eyes (2014) - 5/10. 4K. A highly respectful--not to say hagiographic--telling of the Margaret Keane story, the woman who painted all those awful pictures of big-eyed children in the 50s and 60s. The script is by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, and the last time this writing duo teamed up with Tim Burton they produced Ed Wood. Could lightning strike twice? Sadly, no. Ed Wood was a bio pic with a delicious sense of irony--the tropes were observed (a young man with ambition overcomes obstacles and self-doubt to finally present his art to the world) but at the end of it all it was still a film about a guy who made terrible movies. There is no irony in Big Eyes--its just a bio pic. It looks nice, of course: Bruno Delbonnel provides some really, really pretty pictures. (For some reason there's a Lana Del Ray song in the middle--I hadn't realized she was so popular in the early 1960s). The filmmakers are so respectful of their subject--Ms. Keane is still living, she shows up in snaps of the cast during the end credits--that they dared not take liberties. And Ms. Keane is not very interesting. Her con artist husband, who took credit for his wife's paintings for many years, is potentially interesting, but the film is so in the tank for Ms. Keane that it cannot even present Walter Keane as clever or entertaining, even though he's played by Christoph Waltz. And this guts the picture of any dramatic interest. The climax of the film is a court case where Margaret sues her husband for defamation, and the judge decides to settle the matter with a painting contest. Since we already know Walter doesn't paint, the outcome is never in doubt. So much for an exciting finish. At the end there is vindication for Margaret and lots of congratulations all around. Burton made his film about the wrong Keane. [WARNING: Cheesy Journalistic Flourish Ahead] This reviewer gives Big Eyes two Big Nays.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:07:32 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: December 26, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »

The Interview - 5/10
I slept through probably half the movie on and off. It was fun, a few chuckles here and there, but generally not that great.

Happiness - 9/10
My second viewing in the past couple months. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Still excellent and hilarious

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: December 27, 2014, 01:30:03 AM »

The Way (2010) - 6/10

The sort of movie you know before watching it, and it still doesn't affect whether you like it or not: you either do or do not.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: December 27, 2014, 08:32:25 AM »

The Missouri Breaks (1976) - 7/10. Nicholson is great, Harry Dean's haircut is fantastic, the girl, Kathleen Lloyd, is good, Randy Quaid doesn't die nearly early enough. Brando is nuts, of course, but no more eccentric than any run-of-the-mill character you'd find in a Coen Bros movie. The gang does some stupid things--if you know you've got a regulator to contend with, wouldn't you want to deal with him before you rustle the padrone's cattle? So those idiots got what they deserved then, the end.

I guess maybe this is the first time I realized the film doesn't take place in Missouri (yeah, I know, I'm a bit slow).

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14494 on: December 27, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »

I Saw The Devil - 5.5/10
Interesting. It's unfortunately as subtle as the Korean film it is, but the concept is good and these guys know how to put the capital in Genre film: thriller and action sequences are highly cinematographic. This is a know-how Hollywood lost to Asia a couple decades ago. But when it comes to dialogues and intimate scenes, they're still stuck in the 20's.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:47:05 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: December 27, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »

The Gambler (2014) - 9/10. As I watched it unspool today it was shaping up to be the movie of the year. But at the last minute the filmmakers blinked and went for a feel-good ending, destroying the nice existential dread they'd been quietly building until then. Oh well, we still get a lot of great performances, by Mark Wahlberg, John Goodman, Jessica Lange, the guy who played Omar in The Wire. There's some nice writing, too, but I guess this is a remake so some of that may have come from James Toback's original script for the '74 film. This new film is visually impressive, and I kept wondering, as I watched, who the DP was. Turns out it's Australian Greig Fraser, the man also responsible for the look of Zero Dark Thirty, Killing Them Softly, and Foxcatcher. Seems like this cinematographer is a bigger talent than any of the directors he's worked for (which is almost always the case in Hollywood these days).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: December 27, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »

But elsewhere, Drink, you've stated that you're not interested in psychology, so I can understand this film not doing much for you. Or character studies in general. Or films about humans.

This was in the thread for Shadow on the Wall http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12118.msg175823#msg175823 and you obviously didn't read what I wrote, cuz I specifically said that I meant that I don't enjoy movies that are about a psychologist curing a patient, and that I did not mean that I don't enjoy so-called psychological movies. Here are the exact words I said: "I don't find psychology that interesting I don't mean "psychological movies" like those of Elia Kazan and Martin Scorsese; I mean literally, movies involving a psychologist trying to cure a patient "

anyway, RE: My Cousin Rachel, SPOILER ALERT yes that is definitely an interesting story, in that from a few minutes after de Havilland appears until a couple of minutes before the movie ends, we are convinced she is absolutely treacherous; and by the end of the movie, we aren't sure Burton explicitly says that at the end, when he says he still wonders what she was thinking so I guess it was not an easy part for her to play, cuz she is never supposed to let on what she is really feeling. But I probably enjoyed this least of all her performances that I've seen. Definitely can say the same for Burton, though I've only seen three of his other movies: The Sandpiper, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, and Where Eagles Dare. Just looked at IMDB and noticed that Burton got an Oscar nomination for his performance in My Cousin Rachel. I obviously disagree with that; this performance was one that 50 other actors could have given.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: December 27, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »

Lone Star (1952) 7.5/10

Further discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12119.0

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: December 28, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »

Two Days, One Night (2014) - 7.5/10
My main problem with this movie is that tonally, it's dramatic enough to feel like it's a film about rape...murder...death... cancer...when it's actually about a woman in jeopardy of being laid off from work for for subjectively unfair reasons. It's humorless and overwhelmingly depressing/dramatic for its subject matter. This tone would work if it were a life or death situation and the woman has no chance of finding more work... but she's clearly smart enough and experience enough to land another job in no time. Outside of this problem, it's a very well-told and tense story with probably the best female performance this year from Cotillard.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: December 28, 2014, 12:06:58 PM »

Two Days, One Night (2014) - 7.5/10
My main problem with this movie is that tonally, it's dramatic enough to feel like it's a film about rape...murder...death... cancer...when it's actually about a woman in jeopardy of being laid off from work for for subjectively unfair reasons. It's humorless and overwhelmingly depressing/dramatic for its subject matter. This tone would work if it were a life or death situation and the woman has no chance of finding more work... but she's clearly smart enough and experience enough to land another job in no time. Outside of this problem, it's a very well-told and tense story with probably the best female performance this year from Cotillard.
Thanks. I'll be sure to avoid this one.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14500 on: December 28, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »

The Imitation Game - 7.5/10 - Benedict Cumberbatch plays Alan Turing as an autistic genius who singlehandedly wins World War II. This is pretty typical biopic stuff: the filmmakers downplay Turing's homosexuality, focusing on his oddball personality and wartime achievements instead. There's an unnecessary flashback structure that adds dubious suspense to the big reveal (which isn't a reveal to anyone familiar with him). Cumberbatch is good, Keira Knightley is passable, Charles Dance and Mark Strong have meaty supporting parts. I hear it's historically inaccurate but I don't know enough to care or comment.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:21:41 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: December 28, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »

The Gambler (1974) 7/10. A literature professor (James Caan) with a gambling addiction alienates loved ones as he plays a game of brinksmanship with mobsters. The basis for the 2014 movie of the same title, this is the less interesting of the two films as it pretty much just limns the conventions of a self-destructive-behavior story (the new film is more Dostoyevskian (until it isn't)). There are pleasures to be had here, though, including cameos by Jimmy Woods, Stuart Margolin, M. Emmet Walsh, and Vic Tayback. Meatier roles go to Paul Sorvino and Lauren Hutton. Also of interest is period location work in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Jersey, and, for a brief moment, Vegas. Free streaming available to amazon Prime members: http://www.amazon.com/Gambler-James-Caan/dp/B005DNPEZA/ref=tmm_aiv_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-2&qid=1419732018

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:55:17 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14502 on: December 28, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 5/10

Overall, it's a fail: weird structure, huge pacing and editing problems, good ideas are often spoiled by dialogues, editing or the terribly commercial-like photography... but nice try with a few good moments. The ending was even a bit touching.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: December 28, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »

1. Colt .45 (1950) 6/10

Further discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8612.msg175858#msg175858

2. Penny Serenade (1941) 7.5/10

Irene Dunne has always been one of my favorite actresses from the first 15 years or so of the sound era. Edgar Buchanan is real funny here. Cary Grant didn't annoy me here like he usually does. He has one scene of just him speaking pleading his case before an adoption judge, a long scene of just Grant speaking straight in which he is (I never thought I'd say this about him) absolutely amazing.

SPOILER ALERT

It's an interesting format flashbacks through the records playing songs, remembering how love blossomed and then fell apart but I was really hoping that the movie would have to stick with it, ending on that sad note, rather than going for the typical Hollywood happy ending. However, the ending they did go with didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would. I was expecting that Grant would merely shown up at the end and say, "I love you" and they'd end on a kiss basically telling us that all the sadness we have been watching throughout the movie is thrown away in one minute and I would have really hated that. But as it happened the adoption agency says they have another child, and Grant and Dunne resolve to raise another child and work through their problems, and ends walking through the doors of the child's room that didn't bother me.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: December 29, 2014, 03:50:01 AM »

Saw The Wolf of Wall Street streaming on Netflix, entertaining, especially the Quaalude segment and all the naked wimnez, (no wonder it was well recieved, duh) probably never watch it again though and could have been an hour shorter. 8/10

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:14:53 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM