Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:01:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 967 968 [969] 970 971 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1841471 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14520 on: December 30, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »

Force Majeure (2014) - 8/10
Quite similar to Linklater's Before Midnight, but goes a bit deeper into survival instincts beyond masculine and feminine rolls of a marriage. One of the better movies this year. In terms of serious, long conversations it's like Winter Sleep-lite

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14521 on: December 30, 2014, 07:13:41 PM »

The Theory Of Everything (2014) Director: James Marsh, Stars: Eddie Redmayne, Felicity Jones, Tom Prior 8/10 SAG screener but ditto, I'll probably never watch it again.
How sappy and biopic-ish is this one? Will I gag at the conventions of overdone structure? How much does it rely on a disability to tell a "truly inspirational", totally Oscar-bait story?

Just looking at the Golden Globe drama nominees I dread watching this (disabilities), Imitation Game (gays... and war), and Selma (black people). I can only assume they were all nominated over better films just for their political subject matters. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. But all three trailers sure give that impression.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:16:45 PM by PowerRR » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14522 on: December 30, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »

How sappy and biopic-ish is this one? Will I gag at the conventions of overdone structure? How much does it rely on a disability to tell a "truly inspirational", totally Oscar-bait story?

I can only assume they were all nominated over better films just for their political subject matters.

The same ol same ol, basically, I was expecting more science.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14523 on: December 30, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »

The Judge (2014) Director: David Dobkin Stars: Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall 8/10 SAG screener but I'll probably never watch it again.

ugghh, this was a very crappy movie. The story is one you've seen a million times and they didn't miss a cliche'. Grown man with daddy issues who never comes home is forced to come home for his mom's funeral, forced to deal with his dad and his daddy issues and his family problems and childhood he ran away from ... oh wait, he  also has a dysfunctional marriage of his own ... oh wait, he also is a lawyer on a big case and has to keep calling his work and saying "I'll just be here for a few more days" ... oh wait, he has an ex-girlfriend still living back here who has a kid who doesn't know who her father is  ... oh wait, daddy didn't love him ....

Everything we've seen a hundred times, this movie does again. And not any better than we've seen it a hundred times. Actually, often much worse.

I can't find my review of this cuz our search engine SUCKS but I gave it a 5/10 or a 5.5/10. I don't know how anyone can give this movie an 8/10

and I don't know why with some people, when they review a movie for the first time, half of what they are worried about is whether or not they're gonna see it AGAIN. Like, I won't be watching this AGAIN. Or, I may even rate it higher when I see it AGAIN . Or, I'll have a hot babe in my arms when I watch this AGAIN. etc etc.. shouldn't a review state your feelings on how you felt about the movie when seeing it NOW rather than predicting what's gonna happen when you do/don't see it AGAIN? Wink

UPDATE: I managed, after an insane amount of effort and creative searching, to find my two original posts about THE JUDGE:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg174209#msg174209

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg174218#msg174218

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:19:34 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14524 on: December 31, 2014, 04:10:14 AM »

The story is one you've seen a million times and they didn't miss a cliche'. Grown man with daddy issues who never comes home is forced to come home for his mom's funeral, forced to deal with his dad and his daddy issues and his family problems and childhood he ran away from ... oh wait, he  also has a dysfunctional marriage of his own ... oh wait, he also is a lawyer on a big case and has to keep calling his work and saying "I'll just be here for a few more days" ... oh wait, he has an ex-girlfriend still living back here who has a kid who doesn't know who her father is  ... oh wait, daddy didn't love him ....

Everything we've seen a hundred times, this movie does again. And not any better than we've seen it a hundred times. Actually, often much worse.

I see where you are coming from...   

I always avoid these kind of movies totally like the plague, so the shit you have issues with doesn't bother me that much since its like a new slate (I don't have anything to stack them up against nor will I unless going to the cinema and being chained to a seat becomes a big part of my life) and they are free, ditto with The Theory of Everything, the "little" people out there in the dark have to pay to watch something, lol.

I didn't turn them off, they told their stories. Let me explain it this way, Drama as a genre for me is about 5/10, Musicals are a 1/10, so to put it in that light the films are a 8/10 (to me, and only because I don't watch any films of this type so what the fuck do I know anyway?) in a 5/10 genre that I couldn't give a shit about.

Now dj on the other hand is a cinema whore comparatively watching EVERYTHING so he would have a better grasp on what "familydramadie" or disabil/handicapadie did this or that better. To give you perspective I think the last disability film I remember watching was My Left Foot (1989) the last dysfunctional family drama August: Osage County (2013), which I didn't like at all.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14525 on: December 31, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »

I see where you are coming from...   

I always avoid these kind of movies totally like the plague, so the shit you have issues with doesn't bother me that much since its like a new slate (I don't have anything to stack them up against nor will I unless going to the cinema and being chained to a seat becomes a big part of my life) and they are free, ditto with The Theory of Everything, the "little" people out there in the dark have to pay to watch something, lol.

I didn't turn them off, they told their stories. Let me explain it this way, Drama as a genre for me is about 5/10, Musicals are a 1/10, so to put it in that light the films are a 8/10 (to me, and only because I don't watch any films of this type so what the fuck do I know anyway?) in a 5/10 genre that I couldn't give a shit about.

Now dj on the other hand is a cinema whore comparatively watching EVERYTHING so he would have a better grasp on what "familydramadie" or disabil/handicapadie did this or that better. To give you perspective I think the last disability film I remember watching was My Left Foot (1989) the last dysfunctional family drama August: Osage County (2013), which I didn't like at all.

three that come to mind off the top of my head are AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, AN UNFINISHED LIFE, and ON GOLDEN POND

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14526 on: December 31, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »

ugghh, this was a very crappy movie. The story is one you've seen a million times and they didn't miss a cliche'. Grown man with daddy issues who never comes home is forced to come home for his mom's funeral, forced to deal with his dad and his daddy issues and his family problems and childhood he ran away from ... oh wait, he  also has a dysfunctional marriage of his own ... oh wait, he also is a lawyer on a big case and has to keep calling his work and saying "I'll just be here for a few more days" ... oh wait, he has an ex-girlfriend still living back here who has a kid who doesn't know who her father is  ... oh wait, daddy didn't love him ....
Great review. No, I don't need to see this one even once.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14527 on: December 31, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »

I should point out that when done well, even recycled shit can be enjoyable. For example, I believe I gave AN UNFINISHED LIFE (with Jennifer Lopez and Robert Redford) a 7.5/10 - it's recycled but done well. So, a familiar story in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean the movie is crap. But THE JUDGE doesn't miss a single cliche' and nothing is done better than before. Duvall gives a very good performance, some other good performances but that is really all I can say positive about this movie. It's really a waste of time.
True, I watch Dramas much more than CJ, maybe for him it was new. But it seems to me that any movie fan should catch 100 cliche's here. The screenwriter should be sued for plagiarism.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14528 on: December 31, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »

Marathon Man (1976) - 6/10

A missed chance like few others.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14529 on: January 01, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »

Marathon Man (1976) - 6/10

A missed chance like few others.
Well said.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14530 on: January 01, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »

Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965) - 6/10

Unusual and captivating enough for more or less 2/3 of its running time, it turns plain bizarre and insulting as it ultimately implodes in the end. Interesting for me was to watch Olivier play such an uncharismatic (although high-billed) character. Noel Coward has a minor interesting role.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14531 on: January 01, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »

Well said.

Since what isn't a missed opportunity in this film is still really great so that's a solid 8/10 to me. Many scenes are the best of their kind:

- nobody ever shot a better "trapped and the baddies are coming" scene than the bathroom one
- the torture scene has only been topped by Reservoir Dogs
- the murder attempt in the hotel is the best of its kind
- the restaurant scene (when the brother exposes the girlfriend) is a classic
- and many others

And you can criticize as much as you want the plot holes, the half backed political stuff and the bad final since the two following lines alone grant that movie a place in the top 100 movies ever made:

- "is it safe?"
- "god you're pretty."

The Lego Movie 7.5/10
Could have been a 8 or even a 9 if they had not so terribly missed the live action scenes.
If they ever do a The Playmobile Movie, I'll rate it 10/10 on IMDB before I watch it.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:16:57 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14532 on: January 03, 2015, 08:16:10 AM »

Since what isn't a missed opportunity in this film is still really great so that's a solid 8/10 to me. Many scenes are the best of their kind:

- nobody ever shot a better "trapped and the baddies are coming" scene than the bathroom one
- the torture scene has only been topped by Reservoir Dogs
- the murder attempt in the hotel is the best of its kind
- the restaurant scene (when the brother exposes the girlfriend) is a classic
- and many others

And you can criticize as much as you want the plot holes, the half backed political stuff and the bad final since the two following lines alone grant that movie a place in the top 100 movies ever made:

- "is it safe?"
- "god you're pretty"

Rewatched it yesterday. I'm leaning now toward 8.5.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14533 on: January 03, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »

Le signe du lion (1962) - 6/10. 1080p. Eric Rohmer's first feature. An American in Paris, with aspirations to be a composer, is leading a somewhat bohemian life. Believing he is about to receive a substantial inheritance, he becomes a bit too profligate. When the inheritance doesn't come through, he's destitute; worse, it's August, so all the friends he usually sponges off are out of town. Soon he's locked out his apartment. Without money he can't even buy food, and he is too inept to steal successfully. He wanders about Paris, by day and by night, trying to survive. The film spends a little too much time on this, especially since, this being a Rohmer film, nothing incredibly bad can happen to the guy (he's saved at the eleventh hour by a stroke--maybe 2 strokes--of luck). This is the most frightening film ever made! I could easily picture myself in the guy's situation--in Paris, broke, with no one to depend upon. I am never, ever going to Paris! And I'm never gonna watch this film again.

Charlie Bubbles (1967) - 10/10. I can watch this film again and again. It's a shame there's no Blu-ray for it, but the Freemantle DVD (Region 2) looks really, really great. Albert Finney stars and directs--odd Finney never directed another film, but I guess when you hit one out of the park on your first at bat, I could see how you might not want the screw around with your average. Great support throughout the film by a host of actors including Colin Blakely, a very young Liza Minnelli, Billie Whitelaw, and an amazing child actor who plays Finney's son. And it's all brilliantly shot by Peter Suschitzky (no B.S. lighting here!).

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:56:33 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14534 on: January 03, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »

Whiplash - 8.5/10

Hooha, film of the year?

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 967 968 [969] 970 971 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: