Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 10:19:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764462 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14535 on: January 03, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »

Whiplash - 8.5/10

Hooha, film of the year?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14536 on: January 04, 2015, 02:16:20 AM »

Big Eyes (2014) - 5/10. 4K. A highly respectful--not to say hagiographic--telling of the Margaret Keane story, the woman who painted all those awful pictures of big-eyed children in the 50s and 60s. The script is by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, and the last time this writing duo teamed up with Tim Burton they produced Ed Wood. Could lightning strike twice? Sadly, no. Ed Wood was a bio pic with a delicious sense of irony--the tropes were observed (a young man with ambition overcomes obstacles and self-doubt to finally present his art to the world) but at the end of it all it was still a film about a guy who made terrible movies. There is no irony in Big Eyes--its just a bio pic. It looks nice, of course: Bruno Delbonnel provides some really, really pretty pictures. (For some reason there's a Lana Del Ray song in the middle--I hadn't realized she was so popular in the early 1960s). The filmmakers are so respectful of their subject--Ms. Keane is still living, she shows up in snaps of the cast during the end credits--that they dared not take liberties. And Ms. Keane is not very interesting. Her con artist husband, who took credit for his wife's paintings for many years, is potentially interesting, but the film is so in the tank for Ms. Keane that it cannot even present Walter Keane as clever or entertaining, even though he's played by Christoph Waltz. And this guts the picture of any dramatic interest. The climax of the film is a court case where Margaret sues her husband for defamation, and the judge decides to settle the matter with a painting contest. Since we already know Walter doesn't paint, the outcome is never in doubt. So much for an exciting finish. At the end there is vindication for Margaret and lots of congratulations all around. Burton made his film about the wrong Keane. [WARNING: Cheesy Journalistic Flourish Ahead] This reviewer gives Big Eyes two Big Nays.

I just saw this movie. It is shit. I give it a 4/10

and btw, I don't feel much sympathy for Margaret for not having received credit for her paintings for those 7 years or so until she "came out." She wasn't complaining when Walter was bringing in the big bucks passing her paintings off as his own. You may even argue she was a partner in a dishonesty/fraud, or maybe you can argue that she correctly believed that buyers wouldn't be as interested in art painted by a woman as that painted by a man. Whatever. Bottom line is, she wasn't complaining raking in the big bucks, and could have easily announced the truth to the world at any time. When she finally did announce it, good for her, and good for her that the truth finally came out, of course she deserved to win that case, cuz she was the true artist. But am I going to feel sorry for her that she had to live with that terrible secret for all those years? No way. She could have ended the secret anytime she wanted to but chose to keep it going and keep the money machine rolling. She made a choice and she gets the consequences.

And yes, the paintings shown in the movie (not sure if any of them are Margaret's real works) are shit.

Amy Adams is shit. Notice how she constantly nods whenever she speaks? Virtually every time she speaks, she is slightly nodding, or occasionally slightly shaking her head. Annoying as hell. Waltz is playing like a clown. Nothing interesting here. I didn't know Terence Stamp was still alive. I couldn't stand the colors here, trying to make it look like old postcards or something.

btw, in case I didn't mention it, this movie is shit.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14537 on: January 04, 2015, 04:22:05 AM »

Night Moves - Arthur Penn, 1975

After 5 years of doing mostly nothing Penn returned with an exemplary neo-noir, which reflects the mood of the Watergate years. The detective doesn't solve much, in fact his snoopery does make things only worse, not only for his case, but also in his private life. In the end he has lost his point of view.
The characters feel so true that it often seems they do not act, but they live their roles.

When I saw Night Moves first I had expected more things happening, more spectacle form the director of Bonnie and Clyde and Little Big Man, but in a silent way there is very much happening in this leisurely developed and exceptionally paced anti genre film. Getting better with every viewing, I never enjoyed it as much as now, and it has grown into a true 10/10 film.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14538 on: January 04, 2015, 04:50:54 AM »

After 5 years of doing mostly nothing Penn returned with an exemplary neo-noir, which reflects the mood of the Watergate years. The detective doesn't solve much, in fact his snoopery does make things only worse, not only for his case, but also in his private life. In the end he has lost his point of view.
The characters feel so true that it often seems they do not act, but they live their roles.

When I saw Night Moves first I had expected more things happening, more spectacle form the director of Bonnie and Clyde and Little Big Man, but in a silent way there is very much happening in this leisurely developed and exceptionally paced anti genre film. Getting better with every viewing, I never enjoyed it as much as now, and it has grown into a true 10/10 film.

Hum i will watch this.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14539 on: January 04, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »

It's been a looooooooooooong time since I've seen this. I didn't like it at the time, but I guess it's due for a re-watch. The only thing I really remember is that Hackman spends a heckuva lot of time on that damn boat . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14540 on: January 04, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »

It's been a looooooooooooong time since I've seen this. I didn't like it at the time, but I guess it's due for a re-watch. The only thing I really remember is that Hackman spends a heckuva lot of time on that damn boat . . .

Which he doesn't ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: January 04, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »

Better take a look at that last shot again (I just did on amazonPrime): Before collapsing, Hackman can't manage anything more than to set the controls of the boat so that it circles endlessly. In a sense, he'll be on that boat for eternity.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14542 on: January 05, 2015, 02:08:11 AM »

Of course, but in the film he's doesn't spent too much time on a boat (more in bed). But as you said, one might remember that.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14543 on: January 05, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »

Whiplash (2014) - 8.5 or 9/10
That's how you make a fucking movie!!! Like the rest of the year's best movies (Boyhood, Gone Girl) it has a knack for dangerously walking the line of breaking every genre cliche possible, and still is able to avoid every one of them.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14544 on: January 05, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »

Whiplash (2014) - 8.5 or 9/10
That's how you make a fucking movie!!! Like the rest of the year's best movies (Boyhood, Gone Girl) it has a knack for dangerously walking the line of breaking every genre cliche possible, and still is able to avoid every one of them.

There at least one other civilized man on this board.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14545 on: January 05, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »

There at least one other civilized man on this board.
My expectations were so low, too. The trailer made it appear to be another typical fucking hipster movie about the "power and passion of music". Well, it is kind of like that. Except fucking good. It had a rough start, a lot of the editing techniques and camera work felt like a rip-off of PTA ripping off Scorsese. But it reversed itself quickly. One of those movies that has noticeably great editing ...a very, very rare feat.

Also you mentioned Inside Llewyn Davis, which I rewatched for the fourth time this week. Now there's a film that gets better and better every time. It went from being one of my least favorite Coens at a 7-ish to one of their very best, an easy 9.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:52:06 PM by PowerRR » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14546 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »

Brighton Rock - 8/10 - Classic British crime flick with Richard Attenborough as the murderous Pinkie Brown. Based on a Graham Greene book, it's darker, grungier and more violent than the other Brit noirs I've seen.

I just saw this on TCM. I give it a 7.5/10

Part of this movie's charm is in how ridiculous it is, probably unintentionally. The pint-sized 17-year-old tough guy leading a mob that seems to be made up of sick old men; the crazy old woman always being in right place at the right time, or the wrong place at the wrong time if you're a gang member; a newspaper reporter's treasure hunt being used as a coverup; a gangster who has no qualms about killing marrying (rather than killing) a girl he doesn't like just to keep her from testifying against him even though she has shown no interest in ever testifying against him.
Also, I couldn't understand half the Cockney dialogue here, it was like watching a foreign-language film.

yes, this movie is an unintentionally funny watch. Good stuff. if you haven't seen it, catch it next time it plays TCM.

btw, looking on IMDB, I see it was remade in 2010 but that one has a very bad rating http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233192/?ref_=nv_sr_1 has anyone seen this 2010 remake?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14547 on: January 06, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »

I don't think this deserves it's own topic, but check out this beautiful tribute to work by Annapurna Pictures from the past 3 years. They essentially started with The Master and have since funded several fantastic independent films from excellent directors (most recently being Foxcatcher).

http://annapurnapics.com/films/

It's one of the most well-cut film tributes I've seen, despite being a sort of limited tribute to one company's productions.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14548 on: January 07, 2015, 08:47:22 AM »

The Warriors (1979) - 6/10
Silly

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14549 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »

I don't think this deserves it's own topic, but check out this beautiful tribute to work by Annapurna Pictures from the past 3 years. They essentially started with The Master and have since funded several fantastic independent films from excellent directors (most recently being Foxcatcher).

http://annapurnapics.com/films/

It's one of the most well-cut film tributes I've seen, despite being a sort of limited tribute to one company's productions.

Great one!

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM