Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 01:02:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 969 970 [971] 972 973 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759682 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14550 on: January 07, 2015, 12:55:46 PM »

Selma (2014) - 4/10
An excellent portrayal of MLK that I don't think will ever be topped.

But, I am utterly disgusted at film criticism being overtaken by white guilt. There is literally no other reason for this to maintain a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with over 80 reviews. It is simply not good enough for that many reviewers to SERIOUSLY give it a "fresh" rating (look at the IMDb score in comparison - clearly there's a divide). It is dull, conventional, garbage. It hits every point of what you'd expect from this kind of film. The cinematography. The structure. The "this is where they are now" ending captions. The recyclable music. Oprah's in it. Of course, fucking Oprah is in it. I saw this movie like 15 times in Mrs. Warren's 7th grade black rights classes. That was almost ten years ago. This is the same film, and it still sucks.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14551 on: January 07, 2015, 03:02:54 PM »

Non-stop - 4/10

The trailer was terrible but the film does the job, at least until the ridiculous resolution. I would never had watched the whole thing any other day of the year, but today was a tough one, and, once again, for the most part, it does the job.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14552 on: January 07, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »

Selma (2014) - 4/10
An excellent portrayal of MLK that I don't think will ever be topped.

But, I am utterly disgusted at film criticism being overtaken by white guilt. There is literally no other reason for this to maintain a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with over 80 reviews. It is simply not good enough for that many reviewers to SERIOUSLY give it a "fresh" rating (look at the IMDb score in comparison - clearly there's a divide). It is dull, conventional, garbage. It hits every point of what you'd expect from this kind of film. The cinematography. The structure. The "this is where they are now" ending captions. The recyclable music. Oprah's in it. Of course, fucking Oprah is in it. I saw this movie like 15 times in Mrs. Warren's 7th grade black rights classes. That was almost ten years ago. This is the same film, and it still sucks.

Grin

Remember how the idiots promoting The Alamo went on an Oscar marketing campaign which basically was, if you don't vote for The Alamo then you're pissing on the graves of all those heroes.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14553 on: January 08, 2015, 08:10:19 AM »

Big Eyes (2014) - 7.5/10
Definitely liked it more than the other SLWB reviewers. It follows some pretty specific biopic trite, but in a humorous way that pisses me off a lot less than the MLK movie I just watched. More than most biopics, it feels more like a fictional narrative than a historical retelling ...but does hit quite a few cliches on its way. It's a fun, energetic, fast-paced two hours that I think stands out more than a majority of Burton's work. If he's not gonna do stuff the quality of Ed Wood or Pee-Wee anymore ...I'm certainly content with this, because I'd still rank it on his upper tier of movies.

Burton made his film about the wrong Keane.

And that's what stops it from being truly great. His character has 1000x more potential to be fleshed out over Amy Adams', but unfortunately there's an even focus on the two that doesn't make either quite interesting enough.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14554 on: January 08, 2015, 01:33:37 PM »

The Warriors (1979) - 6/10
Silly

Yep, but taken everything in consideration it should be worth more than a 6-er.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14555 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »

The Rainmaker (1997)
- somewhere between 5 and 6 out of 10

I was watching this the whole evening and didn't even realize it. Nuff said.

Hmmm... I watched this before in one piece? Huh

Anyhow, The Rainmaker indeed makes some rain fall, but it's distinguishable from many others like one rain from another, in November. A certain visual flare is present but nevertheless the story as well as much of the characters seem pretty thin, and predictable. I would, all in all, grant it a 6.5 (maybe even a 7) out of 10, on a very sunny day.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14556 on: January 08, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »

Big Eyes (2014) - 7.5/10
Definitely liked it more than the other SLWB reviewers. It follows some pretty specific biopic trite, but in a humorous way that pisses me off a lot less than the MLK movie I just watched. More than most biopics, it feels more like a fictional narrative than a historical retelling ...but does hit quite a few cliches on its way. It's a fun, energetic, fast-paced two hours that I think stands out more than a majority of Burton's work. If he's not gonna do stuff the quality of Ed Wood or Pee-Wee anymore ...I'm certainly content with this, because I'd still rank it on his upper tier of movies.

You didn't mention anything about the color ... Rather blatantly tries to look like old postcards. I thought it was pretty damn awful. The color and the movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14557 on: January 08, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »

History Is Made at Night (1937) 7/10

Kind of odd... Mostly a love story between Jean Arthur and Charles Boyer, involving a society people and divorces and jealous spouses and murder, etc. ... Then some comedic scenes with an Italian chef who seems to be in love with Boyer, call it a gay subtext. Then the story moves to a ship and largely steals the story of the  Titanic. I won't say anything further, I won't spoil anything.

Enjoyable movie, some of the stuff that's funny is probably unintentional.

Saw it on TCM. The print is pretty bad. This movie's never had a normal Region 1 DVD release. Chck it out next time it's on TCM.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:47:33 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14558 on: January 08, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »

The Gambler (2014) - 7.5/10
Much better than the reviews, and something I can definitely see myself liking more on a second watch. My viewing conditions were not ideal and I think it hindered how much I enjoyed the film. Absolutely worth watching. Fuck the Selma-loving critics and dumb IMDb voters. Listen to me and davejenkins (or just me... maybe that 9 is a bit high).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14559 on: January 08, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »

Maybe IMDB should allow users to give two ratings for each movie: The regular rating of how much you currently liked the movie, and a second rating of how much you think you'll like the movie on your next viewing  Evil

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14560 on: January 09, 2015, 06:00:14 AM »

TAK3N (2015) - 4/10. "Dear Luc Besson, Olivier Megaton, and Europa Corp., I watched your movie. Shaky-cam, spastic cutting, a plot straight from TV--I do not have words to adequately convey how I feel about what I saw. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a lifetime of cinema viewing. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money back and apologize now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make certain you become D&D's next date-victim."

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14561 on: January 09, 2015, 06:51:55 AM »

The Gambler (2014) - 7.5/10
Much better than the reviews, and something I can definitely see myself liking more on a second watch. My viewing conditions were not ideal and I think it hindered how much I enjoyed the film. Absolutely worth watching. Fuck the Selma-loving critics and dumb IMDb voters. Listen to me and davejenkins (or just me... maybe that 9 is a bit high).
On reflection, yeah. Probably an "8" is more like it (I really hate the ending).

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14562 on: January 09, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »

Snowpiercer (2013)
- 3/10

I wanted to stop... but didn't have the courage.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14563 on: January 09, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »

Snowpiercer (2013)
- 3/10

I wanted to stop... but didn't have the courage.
Why did you even start? The trailer alone shows that this is a total POS.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14564 on: January 09, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »

There are a few good ideas that justify watching it. Like when they stop fighting to celebrate the new year. But yes it's bad.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 969 970 [971] 972 973 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM