Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:20:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767594 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14565 on: January 09, 2015, 09:00:39 PM »

Inherent Vice - 9/10
Second viewing. I was partially wrong with my first assessment ...much better on a second viewing (nobody listen to DJ!!!). I still think it spends a bit too much time on plot in a way that detracts from its greater meaning, but a second viewing helps to A) follow the story better and B) focus on the true core of the film (or, not the plot, but Doc's relationships, historical and cultural relevance, the film's humor, and fantastic use of music). I also criticized it for a lack of strong visuals before ...again, I'm wrong. Much like The Master, it's 80% close-ups with some pretty shots in between (from the Pacific Ocean to California sunlight and Doc + Shasta's tracking shot through the rain). But even the close-ups are gorgeously detailed. Even the narrator, who I thought was awkwardly placed the first time, gives the movie a much "groovier", hazy, dreamy feel than without.

So yes, all is well in the world again and it looks like PTA still can do no wrong.  One of the best movies of 2014. Not without its flaws - the plot focus and a pretty slow first 30 minutes - but a gorgeous, romantic, funny movie.

For the record, half the people I saw it with fucking hated it. Other half loved it.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:07:09 PM by PowerRR » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14566 on: January 10, 2015, 08:56:10 AM »

Glad to see the World is back spinning around the Sun.

Nymphomaniac Vol. 1 - 2/10
lol

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: January 10, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »

Mr. Baseball (1992) - 5/10

But it's great.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14568 on: January 11, 2015, 04:50:10 AM »

Her - 7.5/10

At last! I really wanted to see this one. Well it has qualities and flaws. The main thing going for it is that it's a touching and believable love story. The main flaw is that it's just a regular, basic love story. It could have been much more if they had emphasized the "a computer with consciousness is more efficient than the human brain" thing instead of wasting too much time on "it doesn't have a body".

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:57:00 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: January 11, 2015, 08:20:35 AM »

The Equalizer (2014) - 4/10

I understand movie making is - in the end - just business. One has to earn money to make new products to stay afloat. Like any other business. What I don't understand is why this movie had to be more than 2 hours long, with the last approx. 40 min being totally pointless 'action' (just plain violence). I mean who cares, really? All the answers have been answered 15 000 times before in various other media, why not make it an honest action movie without false pretenses? This movie is 99.8 % cliche anyway. Cuttin' the running time in half would (have) be(en) a great start. And the ending... was that for real? I'd have given it a 5.5 without that nonsense, but now I can't be merciful. Pity, again, it could have been a 6.5 - 7 out of 10 entertaining dreck one re-watches every now and then.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:22:00 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: January 11, 2015, 03:14:46 PM »

Rosemary's Baby - 8/10
Great film, surprised it took me so long to get to watching it.

High Fidelity - 5.5/10
Eh. John Cusack has a very punchable face.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14571 on: January 11, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »

Hot Fuzz - 9/10
20th viewing.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: January 12, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE 8.5/10

10 RILLINGTON PLACE 8.5/10

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:58:50 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: January 12, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »

The Gravy Train AKA The Dion Brothers (1974) - 6.5/10

The sorta movie that offers no real answers, nor poses any real question for that matter - the sorta movie they don't make anymore. Now everything has to be cleared before the credits roll, everybody has to be satisfied. Here they roll with skit-serious sketches into a hectic finish: it's not much but I wasn't bored. This is the type of movie that shows what I've been thinking all along - those were better days for making movies. Now primarily episode-ists such as Stacy Keach or Frederic Forrest (whom only movie goers will remember from anything aside Coppola's Apocalypse Now) back then could snatch an interesting and suiting leading role every now and then. With Keach being overall a somewhat better actor, everybody, nevertheless could find his place on the reel. I could be wrong, but can't help thinking that.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: January 12, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »

TAK3N (2015) - 4/10. "Dear Luc Besson, Olivier Megaton, and Europa Corp., I watched your movie. Shaky-cam, spastic cutting, a plot straight from TV--I do not have words to adequately convey how I feel about what I saw. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a lifetime of cinema viewing. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money back and apologize now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make certain you become D&D's next date-victim."

Haha, well played. Should I even bother with the first one?

High Fidelity - 5.5/10
Eh. John Cusack has a very punchable face.

I like HF but it would have been much better if it was simply just a hang-out type movie that took place in a record store. Those scenes were the best and this is Jack Black's magnum opus. I thought the main actress was miscast, and the love interest scenes were average. But after seeing this review this made me think of and rewatch...

Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)

SPOILERS ABOUND

It's hard to accurately rate this because I bought this soundtrack when I was 12 years old before seeing the movie and it played a pretty dramatic role in shaping my music taste. I eventually saw the movie and always loved it.

While the script is flawed, the characters and dialog really shine. The love interest scenes are probably the best in the movie - Cusack and Driver have great chemistry. There are also a lot of memorable minor characters (Dan Aykroyd is great), I can't really think of any character that isn't effective in one way or another. As for the aforementioned flaws, there is a big shootout and explosion in a convenience store that should have been better plotted, though it's entertaining so it's not a big deal.

There are a couple other minor stuff like this (like the leads kissing after not seeing each other for ten years or Piven's character not having a lengthy conversation with Cusack before and after moving the corpse) but the main flaw is how rushed the third act is, it's really a shame. As soon as Cusack's character finds out that his long lost love's father is the person he's been hired to kill, the script literally takes us into the final shootout without some great sequences of Cusack confronting Driver and Mitchell Ryan's character and have other events occurring before the climax.

There also needed to be an explanation for why the other hitman didn't knock off Mitchell Ryan's character. If they wanted the movie to be short, why not have Cusack's character accidentally find out that Mitchell Ryan was the target when trying to track down Minnie Driver, it would have made sense to go the coincidence route with a legit reason for Cusack to be tracking down his love interest, he has stalker-ish qualities anyway.

With all that said, this is a very genuine, likable movie with a ton of great scenes. It works as a dark comedy, action movie and romantic comedy. While the ending is disappointing, it's a fun ride to get there. If the plot was tweaked, this would be a masterpiece of some sort. It's streaming on netflix if any of you haven't seen it. It's definitely worth seeing.

An undeserving 9/10, probably an 8 if not for the childhood connection.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:28:44 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: January 12, 2015, 07:02:51 PM »

The High Wall (1947) Robert Taylor, suffering from a recurring brain injury, appears to have strangled his wife. Having confessed, he's committed to an understaffed county asylum full of pathetic inmates. There, Dr. Lorrison (Audrey Totter) is initially skeptical about his story but she begins to doubt his guilt, nice rainy noir atmosphere. 7/10

The Tattered Dress (1957) Very provocative opening noir-ish sequence of Elaine Stewart in the "tattered" dress of the title followed by a standard courtroom drama, too bad it fizzled out like it did, with  Jeff Chandler, Jeanne Crain, Jack Carson. 6.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: January 12, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »

Knute Rockne, All American (1940) 7/10

Pretty enjoyable (sometimes unintentionally funny) despite (or perhaps because of) a rather hilariously bad performance by Pat O'Brien. (Plus a great huge fake nose).
I've never heard the real Rockne talk so I don't know if O'Brien was imitating him correctly; if he was, maybe I shouldn't criticize O'Brien. But to me, this was the one O'Brien performance where it felt like he was trying to act (and I mean that in a negative sense) ...  I generally enjoyed this despite the lead character being pretty bad rare for a biopic.
Ronald Reagan is good in his famous supporting role as George Gipp, aka The Gipper.

One thing I'd have done differently, IMO this is big: we shouldn't have seen Gipp give Rockne his "win one for the Gipper" final request until Rockne gives the speech in the locker room: In the hospital, we should have just seen Gipp whisper something in Rockne's ear but not hear what he says; and then later, when Rockne is telling the team about it in the locker room when they are losing, he should have said, "And this is what Gipp told me ..." And then either A) Rockne should have said the speech, or B) we could have seen a flashback of Gipp saying it in the hospital. (Option A is probably preferable, cuz we don't know if Gipp ever really said that; some people think Rockne made it up to inspire the team. So having Rockne say it keeps it as a question of whether or not Gipp actually said it.) But either way, the line shouldn't have been revealed till Rockne reveals it to the team.
But as the movie does it, we see Gipp saying it in the hospital, and then in the locker room, when Rockne repeats the exact speech Gipp said, there is no suspense, cuz we already know it; he's just repeating something we already heard.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:12:24 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14577 on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »

Knute Rockne, All American (1940) 7/10

Pretty enjoyable (sometimes unintentionally funny) despite (or perhaps because of) a rather hilariously bad performance by Pat O'Brien. (Plus a great huge fake nose).
I've never heard the real Rockne talk so I don't know if O'Brien was imitating him correctly; if he was, maybe I shouldn't criticize O'Brien. But to me, this was the one O'Brien performance where it felt like he was trying to act (and I mean that in a negative sense) ...  I generally enjoyed this despite the lead character being pretty bad rare for a biopic.
Ronald Reagan is good in his famous supporting role as George Gipp, aka The Gipper.

One thing I'd have done differently, IMO this is big: we shouldn't have seen Gipp give Rockne his "win one for the Gipper" final request until Rockne gives the speech in the locker room: In the hospital, we should have just seen Gipp whisper something in Rockne's ear but not hear what he says; and then later, when Rockne is telling the team about it in the locker room when they are losing, he should have said, "And this is what Gipp told me ..." And then either A) Rockne should have said the speech, or B) we could have seen a flashback of Gipp saying it in the hospital. (Option A is probably preferable, cuz we don't know if Gipp ever really said that; some people think Rockne made it up to inspire the team. So having Rockne say it keeps it as a question of whether or not Gipp actually said it.) But either way, the line shouldn't have been revealed till Rockne reveals it to the team.
But as the movie does it, we see Gipp saying it in the hospital, and then in the locker room, when Rockne repeats the exact speech Gipp said, there is no suspense, cuz we already know it; he's just repeating something we already heard.

Here are some photos of Knute Rockne
http://goo.gl/JYNa5T

Here are some photos of O'Brien playing Rockne
http://goo.gl/NmR7b8

I think they did a good job of making O'Brien resemble Rockne. The fat nose, the overcoat, and the homburg  Wink

When I have some time, I am going to try to look through some of the Knute Rockne/Notre Dame videos on YouTube, to see if there is any audio of Rockne's real voice, so that I can see if O'Brien did a good imitation in the movie.

Btw, I have a couple of friends, they are cousins, their grandfather played for Rockne at Notre Dame. And I believe that the scout who discovered him playing high school football and recruited him to come to Notre Dame and play for Rockne, was one of the Four Horsemen, who by that time was done playing and was working for Rockne as a scout  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:49:07 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: January 13, 2015, 12:05:11 AM »

Comet - 5/10
Highly flawed with gag-worthy overwritten dialogue and really cheap digitized-looking cinematography, but an oddly likable movie.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14579 on: January 13, 2015, 03:24:09 AM »

Enemy - 6.5/10
Pretty good, pretty pointless, pretty outdated. It's cool to see they're still doing these films.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM