Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:29:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1841039 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14580 on: January 15, 2015, 10:20:08 AM »

Compulsion (1959) - 7/10

Richard Fleischer's retroactive swan song: a strange movie that starts as something completely different only to end like a regular courtroom drama (why, is there such a thing as a 'irregular' courtroom drama?). It is my humble opinion they should have continued till the end with the two slightly over-sauced but powerful young leads and without Orson Welles' character. + The 12 Angry Men connection.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:21:19 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14581 on: January 15, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »

Crime and Punishment (1935) 8/10 (TCM)

I've never read the book nor seen any other movie versions, so I am just judging this movie on its own merits.

Edward Arnold is great as always, here playing Inspector Porfiry; as is Peter Lorre, here playing Raskolnikov. Directed by Josef Von Sternberg.

If this movie had been made a few years later, it would be considered a noir; this is a noir in every way. Lots of the shadows we expect from noir. As well as the themes.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14582 on: January 15, 2015, 08:45:59 PM »

Too Much, Too Soon (1958) 6/10

The story of Diana Barrymore, daughter of John Barrymore. She hadn't known her farther for years, then reconnected with him, as he was in his waning years, broke and drunk. Eventually he drinks himself to death, and then Diana herself embarks on a self-destructive lifestyle, throwing away her acting career, drinking, going off with abusive men, etc.

The first half or so of the movie is enjoyable, Errol Flynn does a nice job as John Barrymore. (I haven't seen the latter in too many films [Grand Hotel is the only one I can think of] so I can't tell you if Flynn does a good impersonation of him, but) it's a nice performance, especially cuz Flynn himself was a handsome famous actor in decades past but at this point looks much older; so he looks the part.
But once Flynn is gone, the movie goes downhill. Dorothy Malone (who will turn 90 on Jan. 30) is very pretty and does a decent job as Diana Barrymore, but at the end the movie just kinda gets tiresome, again and again with the drinking and bembarrassing jobs and abusive men, etc. This movie was directed by Art Napoleon, who is no artist and no Napoleon. A better directing job could have made this a good movie.
Though really, do you give a damn about people born with a silver spoon (or any spoon) and just drink themselves into abusive lifestyles? Should I care about her cuz her name is Barrymore?

btw, the real-life Diana Barrymore died two years after the movie was released.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14583 on: January 16, 2015, 02:10:31 PM »

While waiting for the blu of Winter Sleep, I decided to watch Ceylan's earlier film on home video:

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia / Bir zamanlar Anadolu'da (2011) 9/10. 1080p. An investigative team looks for a body in the Anatolian steppe, a task that requires a night and a morning. While they do their not-quite-routine work, the team members chat among themselves.

The first half of the movie is filmed at night. Ostensibly, all the source lighting is provided by the headlights of three vehicles. In fact, though, the filmmakers also make use of the old "full moon" conceit. I almost forgive them because of the beautiful landscape images they create for the picture. But I must dock them a point on my rating.

In an interview on the BD disc I viewed, Ceylan admits he used some of Chekhov's stories for the film. I wish he'd give us the titles of these up front. Even in interviews he's very coy about it. He cops to Chekhov's but won't name the specific stories. I then have to run through all the possible sources until I find them. It's maddening.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: January 16, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »

Das merkwürdige Kätzchen/Strange Little Cat (2013) - 7/10. A German family (who have a cat and dog) spend the day preparing a supper for relatives. The film eschews melodrama in order to accurately present quotidian reality. Traditional plotting is jettisoned. Set ups are simple: the camera is always locked down and characters enter and leave frames (or just remain stationary). There are no bullshit camera movements: ridiculous tracking shots, ostentatious pans. Beautiful still-lifes--of those there are plenty.
First DVD viewing (as there is no domestic Blu-ray). What's up with the cat?

Gone Girl (2014) - 5/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Immaculate images and a very interesting sound design. The plot is utter shite. What's up with the cat?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14585 on: January 17, 2015, 03:51:48 AM »

Two Wow's yesterday...

Hell's Angels (1930) director Howard Hughes, with Stars: Ben Lyon, James Hall, and Jean Harlow. A great film about aviation in WWI, featuring quite a few early biplane combat sequences, a zeppelin bombing raid on London, and Jean Harlow in what is now my favorite role of hers. The story is a it predictable but the cockpit POV's are excellent. Watched a restoration (some colorized segments) from a Netflix DVD 8/10

Shaft (1971) called the first blaxploitation flick, fuck that and it's derogatory connotations (think Leone vs the majority of Spaghetti Westerns as a reference), its actually a great PI film directed by Gordon Parks (acclaimed photojournalist  for Life magazine from the late 40s through late 60s) shot in a very noir-ish style by Urs Furrer. The shots of NYC, Times Square, The Village, Harlem circa 1970 are gorgeous. Richard Rountree is great, score by Issac Hates is iconic, It hits on all cyinders. 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14586 on: January 17, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »

Shaft (1971) called the first blaxploitation flick, fuck that and it's derogatory connotations (think Leone vs the majority of Spaghetti Westerns as a reference), its actually a great PI film directed by Gordon Parks (acclaimed photojournalist  for Life magazine from the late 40s through late 60s) shot in a very noir-ish style by Urs Furrer. The shots of NYC, Times Square, The Village, Harlem circa 1970 are gorgeous. Richard Rountree is great, score by Issac Hates is iconic, It hits on all cyinders. 10/10
Thanks. Blu-ray ordered.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14587 on: January 17, 2015, 03:23:23 PM »

Garde à Vue - 9/10

I love this film. Michel Bouquet in his best role. Ventura and Romy are are the top of their game. Audiard wrote his best dialogues ever: for once they don't just sound cool, they mean something.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14588 on: January 18, 2015, 01:43:34 AM »

The English Patient (1996) 5/10

First viewing. Believe it or not

Godalmotherfuckingmighty, I just spent 2 hours & 46 minutes tearing my hair out and waiting for the movie to end. All I could think of was Elaine from Seinfeld "Quit telling your stupid story about the stupid desert and just die already!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qalNX5G94

The flashback scenes looked pretty – this was a movie that did a good job with the yellow/gold/brown colors; and the acting was very solid all around. But I didn't find this interesting at all. I found it torturous.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: January 18, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »

I hated The Wild Bunch, liked Straw Dogs but it put me to sleep at times. What'll get me to have a new outlook on Peckinpah: Cable Hogue, Cross of Iron, Pat Garrett, Alfredo Garcia? Haven't seen any of them yet.

Starman - 8/10
There should be more Hollywood movies like this. Jeff Nichols says his next movie will borrow a lot of Carpenter's style from this one.

Burn After Reading - 6.5/10
The Clooney/Pitt bedroom scene is probably where most of the points come from. Not the Coens best but pretty entertaining and silly.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: January 18, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »

Dreamcatcher (2003) - 2.5/10

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:36:32 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14591 on: January 18, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »

The English Patient (1996) 5/10

First viewing. Believe it or not

I believe ya.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I tried watching that on DVD more than a couple of times some 10 years ago and never succeeded.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14592 on: January 18, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

I believe ya.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I tried watching that on DVD more than a couple of times some 10 years ago and never succeeded.

I'm wondering how long it'll be before DJ says, "WELL YOU SHOULDA TRIED IT ON BLU RAY!"

Pay him no mind. I did watch the blu-ray. That doesn't make a bad movie good  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14593 on: January 18, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »

I don't like the film. Groggy does for some reason (Perhaps the reason is Kristin Scott Thomas). I like Ms. Scott Thomas myself (to say nothing of Juliette Binoche, also in the film), but neither actress is enough to save the film for me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14594 on: January 18, 2015, 05:11:21 PM »

I hated The Wild Bunch, liked Straw Dogs but it put me to sleep at times. What'll get me to have a new outlook on Peckinpah: Cable Hogue, Cross of Iron, Pat Garrett, Alfredo Garcia? Haven't seen any of them yet.
Holy crap, who let you on this board?? Shocked

Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM