Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:51:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770044 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14595 on: January 18, 2015, 05:11:21 PM »

I hated The Wild Bunch, liked Straw Dogs but it put me to sleep at times. What'll get me to have a new outlook on Peckinpah: Cable Hogue, Cross of Iron, Pat Garrett, Alfredo Garcia? Haven't seen any of them yet.
Holy crap, who let you on this board?? Shocked

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: January 18, 2015, 05:17:42 PM »

American Sniper (2014) - 9/10. Respectful bio-pic of a guy who killed a lot of people in Iraq. Well photographed for the most part (there's one nighttime sequence with ridiculous lighting, but most of the picture is shot in the day) and featuring one of the best cutting jobs I've ever seen--things move along very nicely. Although largely a sniper duel, there are plenty of heavy fire-fights scattered throughout. Funny, a character plays the same joke on a loved one here as was done in Hickey & Boggs (the old flushing-the-toilet-whilst-someone-is-in-the-shower routine). It's one thing that American humor hasn't changed much in 40 years--but toilet technology? Apparently, not much R&D is being done on that front.
When I found out I could see this again in IMAX I didn't waste any time getting down to the local multi-plex. Here are my impressions of my second viewing:
American Sniper (2014) - 9/10. Respectful bio-pic of a guy who killed a lot of people in Iraq. Well photographed for the most part (there's one nighttime sequence with ridiculous lighting, but most of the picture is shot in the day) and featuring one of the best cutting jobs I've ever seen--things move along very nicely. Although largely a sniper duel, there are plenty of heavy fire-fights scattered throughout. Funny, a character plays the same joke on a loved one here as was done in Hickey & Boggs (the old flushing-the-toilet-whilst-someone-is-in-the-shower routine). It's one thing that American humor hasn't changed much in 40 years--but toilet technology? Apparently, not much R&D is being done on that front.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: January 18, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »

I don't like the film. Groggy does for some reason (Perhaps the reason is Kristin Scott Thomas). I like Ms. Scott Thomas myself (to say nothing of Juliette Binoche, also in the film), but neither actress is enough to save the film for me.

Yes, both actresses are very good, but this is not a good movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: January 18, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »

Holy crap, who let you on this board?? Shocked
That doesn't answer my fucking question, jenkins!!!!

T.H. did.

American Sniper - 8.5 or 9/10
Fucking excellent, but with some cliches thrown in here and there. First 20 minutes was pretty painful.

"Boy, I can tell that one day, you're gonna be a good shot!" (gag me)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: January 18, 2015, 08:50:54 PM »

First 20 minutes was pretty painful.

who let you on this board??!!

stick to bashing Peckinpah

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: January 18, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »

who let you on this board??!!

stick to bashing Peckinpah
Lol it followed the biopic formula almost worse than Selma did. All I could do was laugh at cliche after cliche (reflecting on childhood experiences to foreshadow future career), Southerner stereotype and bad jokes ("yeah well, when's the wedding, cowboy? YeEHAAWW), and the Conservative propaganda (Oh, news footage? I WILL FIGHT FOR MY COUNTRY). I even politically agree with the movie, and I still feel like FOX News paid the screenwriter to add in blatantly Pro-America scenes so that they could rightfully promote teh film. When 9/11 happened on TV, I was shocked the movie didn't launch into an inspirational action montage.

But I guess creating that typical "Yeehaw, hoo-ha, I wanna join the army" stereotype helps the movie/character in the long run. It eventually got amazing and stayed that way through pretty much the rest of the movie. So it's okay. A bit iffy on the ending because a lot of the dialogue in that last scene feels forced, but it's forgivable, and the rest of the movie is so good that it doesn't matter. I especially love the dust storm scene toward the end.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14601 on: January 18, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »

Lol it followed the biopic formula almost worse than Selma did. All I could do was laugh at cliche after cliche (reflecting on childhood experiences to foreshadow future career), Southerner stereotype and bad jokes ("yeah well, when's the wedding, cowboy? YeEHAAWW), and the Conservative propaganda (Oh, news footage? I WILL FIGHT FOR MY COUNTRY). I even politically agree with the movie, and I still feel like FOX News paid the screenwriter to add in blatantly Pro-America scenes so that they could rightfully promote teh film. When 9/11 happened on TV, I was shocked the movie didn't launch into an inspirational action montage.

But I guess creating that typical "Yeehaw, hoo-ha, I wanna join the army" stereotype helps the movie/character in the long run. It eventually got amazing and stayed that way through pretty much the rest of the movie. So it's okay. A bit iffy on the ending because a lot of the dialogue in that last scene feels forced, but it's forgivable, and the rest of the movie is so good that it doesn't matter. I especially love the dust storm scene toward the end.

lots of people were inspired to join the armed forces after terrorist attacks. Call it a cliche', but it's a reality.

and btw, I don't think the movie is making much of a political statement. Obviously, Kyle firmly believes in what he is doing, no doubt whatsoever, but I think Eastwood is sort of presenting his autobiography and not pushing a political view. You have a couple of lines here or there (probably from the book, which I never read) showing that Kyle firmly believes in what he is doing, but I certainly didn't feel like this was a flag-waving "message movie." I think this is more about one man's story than about a political message. We clearly know this man's political view, but it isn't harped on or pushed down our throats, and it isn't the point of the movie. I absolutely wouldn't say this is a political movie or a Fox news movie or whatever

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14602 on: January 18, 2015, 09:49:46 PM »

lots of people were inspired to join the armed forces after terrorist attacks. Call it a cliche', but it's a reality.

and btw, I don't think the movie is making much of a political statement. Obviously, Kyle firmly believes in what he is doing, no doubt whatsoever, but I think Eastwood is sort of presenting his autobiography and not pushing a political view. You have a couple of lines here or there (probably from the book, which I never read) showing that Kyle firmly believes in what he is doing, but I certainly didn't feel like this was a flag-waving "message movie." I think this is more about one man's story than about a political message. We clearly know this man's political view, but it isn't harped on or pushed down our throats, and it isn't the point of the movie. I absolutely wouldn't say this is a political movie or a Fox news movie or whatever
Ultimately I agree with you, but I think the beginning and maybe one or two scenes in the middle push too strongly on a "Fuck yeah let's join the Army" message. It's not necessarily something I disagree with, but something that's distracting in a storytelling sense. Overall the movie has pretty strong restraint in the "political message" sense and I agree that it's more focused on character, which is what I think makes it so great.

And I think the movie does an excellent job of portraying southerners who are inspired to join the army (yee-haw, cowboys and rodeo, gunz, i'ma fite furrr my country, and I love country music, cuz I'm an amuricaaaan). It's realistic and probably true to life to Chris Kyle. But the way it's presented at the beginning sometimes makes it feel like propaganda.

I also have a personal, deep-rooted hatred for people who are overly proud and arrogant about being in the army. So don't listen to me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: January 19, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »

Ultimately I agree with you, but I think the beginning and maybe one or two scenes in the middle push too strongly on a "Fuck yeah let's join the Army" message. It's not necessarily something I disagree with, but something that's distracting in a storytelling sense. Overall the movie has pretty strong restraint in the "political message" sense and I agree that it's more focused on character, which is what I think makes it so great.

And I think the movie does an excellent job of portraying southerners who are inspired to join the army (yee-haw, cowboys and rodeo, gunz, i'ma fite furrr my country, and I love country music, cuz I'm an amuricaaaan). It's realistic and probably true to life to Chris Kyle. But the way it's presented at the beginning sometimes makes it feel like propaganda.

I also have a personal, deep-rooted hatred for people who are overly proud and arrogant about being in the army. So don't listen to me.

I think you're talking about the bar scene where all the guys are trying to pick up Sienna Miller by bragging that they are in the military. But Kyle himself is not like that ... and that's why she does end up going out with him. In fact, the movie IS making fun of those guys in that scene.
Overall the movie is not like that at all, like a bunch of tough guys boasting that they are in the army.

You want it both ways. You keep making fun of this "go to the army fight for my country" thing but the in the next breath always say "but I don't disagree with it." You sound like you either couldn't make it into the army or you never tried but feel a little guilty about it.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: January 19, 2015, 10:43:02 AM »

I think you're talking about the bar scene where all the guys are trying to pick up Sienna Miller by bragging that they are in the military. But Kyle himself is not like that ... and that's why she does end up going out with him. In fact, the movie IS making fun of those guys in that scene.
Overall the movie is not like that at all, like a bunch of tough guys boasting that they are in the army.

You want it both ways. You keep making fun of this "go to the army fight for my country" thing but the in the next breath always say "but I don't disagree with it." You sound like you either couldn't make it into the army or you never tried but feel a little guilty about it.
No. I'm just saying the way a lot of the beginning is set up, it feels like a recruitment movie targeted toward a very specific Southerner / wanna-be southerner "rootin' tootin' cowboy Amurica" mentality that I'm mocking (in the same way how recruitment stations were set up in theaters when Top Gun premiered, the tone at the beginning of American Sniper made me feel like I'd exit the theater to see recruiters waiting). I support anyone who wants to fight for the country - not my thing - but I'm glad they're out there. No guilt or repressed feelings of failure there. In a storytelling sense, I just felt like this was a bit distracting. I wasn't even thinking of the bar scene, but I think the younger Chris Kyle still represents that stereotype that I mock. Obviously that's part of his character and development, I just think it's portrayed a bit too blatantly.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14605 on: January 19, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »

American Sniper - 8.5 or 9/10
Fucking excellent, but with some cliches thrown in here and there. First 20 minutes was pretty painful.

"Boy, I can tell that one day, you're gonna be a good shot!" (gag me)
But look with what economy we get through all the backstory material in 20 minutes. We begin with sniper overwatch in Iraq. We cut on Chris Kyle taking a shot at an Iraqi to young Kyle felling his first deer. We cut to a school yard fight as we hear Kyle's father in voice-over begin espousing his sheep/wolves/sheepdog philosophy before cutting to the dinner table scene. We cut to adult Kyle in a cowboy hat. We cut to a rodeo where Kyle does some business while his brother watches. We cut to their drive home. We get the cheating-girlfriend scene. We cut to Kyle and his brother watching the news report about the embassy bombings. We cut to Kyle down at the recruiter's office signing up. We cut to SEAL training (funniest stuff since Full Metal Jacket). We cut to meeting cute in the bar. Back to more SEAL training. Back to the romance. Then 9-11 on the TV. Cut to the wedding and the deployment call (in the same scene!). Cut to Tour One.

Most of this stuff isn't interesting (although the Sheepdog philosophy is thematically important) but has to be gotten through for the rest of the film to work. I was truly impressed with the alacrity with which this material was handled. Right there I wanted to stand up and salute.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: January 19, 2015, 11:04:19 AM »

No. I'm just saying the way a lot of the beginning is set up, it feels like a recruitment movie targeted toward a very specific Southerner / wanna-be southerner "rootin' tootin' cowboy Amurica" mentality that I'm mocking
Dude, Kyle was from Texas. He's not a southerner or a westerner (although Texas could be described as being in both the South and the West). He's a Texan. Maybe you missed the joke in the film about the difference between red-necks and Texans? Most Texans I'm pretty sure would be insulted to be called southerners.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14607 on: January 19, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »

Fair enough. Ignore me. I'm a dumb ass.

Go see American Sniper.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14608 on: January 19, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »

A Most Violent Year - 7.5/10
I just posted my opinion in the film's thread.

The Sorcerer - 7/10
First viewing, on TV, French version.
The script of the Clouzot film is way, way, way better. Here, the characters don't work for a second. But the action scenes, the atmosphere and some great almost documentary moments are absolutely incredible.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: January 19, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »

let's move the discussion on AMERICAN SNIPER to that film's thread; don't wanna spoil nuthin for nobody

Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM