Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:32:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759340 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14610 on: January 19, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »

The Sorcerer - 7/10
First viewing, on TV, French version.
The script of the Clouzot film is way, way, way better. Here, the characters don't work for a second. But the action scenes, the atmosphere and some great almost documentary moments are absolutely incredible.
Some of the action scenes work. But what about the ending of the bridge-crossing scene? Something is missing there. There were shots there they couldn't get, or lost, or something. It's very unsatisfactory the way it is.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14611 on: January 19, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »

The Last Hurrah (1958) 4/10

An unbearable piece of shit.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14612 on: January 19, 2015, 11:36:49 PM »

10 RILLINGTON PLACE 8.5/10

I was quite busy last week, but now that i have the time, I wanted to talk a little more about 10 RILLINGTON PLACE
First of all, TCM will be showing the movie on Jan. 28, at 11:15 PM EST, as part of a Richard Attenborough tribute http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2015-01-28

if you haven't yet seen this movie, be sure to check it out. It is a very good movie, very well-acted. Very good performances by Ricard Attenborough and Judy Gleeson; great performance by John Hurt. And btw, Hurt has an amazing voice.

SPOILER ALERT FOR REST OF POST

The one area in which I think the movie doesn't quite succeed is in showing the Hurt character to be of low intelligence. We know that he doesn't make much money and likes to make up stories about himself, and he mentions that he can't read or write, but in his conversations/interactions in the first half of the movie, he really doesn't come off as being stupid important.  Then, later in the movie, once he is accused of the murders, and all he can do is stare blankly and say, "Christie done it," again and again, it doesn't make sense. Cuz he really seems to be of decent intelligence in the first half of the movie.

They should have done more in the first half to show that he is very unintelligent.

(For a movie that successfully shows a character to be stupid to explain how perhaps he could be humiliated, a very good example is EIGHT MEN OUT: that movie did a great job showing Shoeless Joe Jackson out to be unintelligent, and we feel for him that he didn't know what he was getting himself into.)

But otherwise I have no criticisms of this movie; it is really good and reeeaaalllyy creepy. This is one of those movies that you think about a long time after you see it.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: January 20, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - 6.5/10
That rating would be a lot higher if the first hour wasn't so goddamn boring (fell asleep once and spent some considerable time paying almost no attention to the movie until the graveyard scene). Warren Oates was excellent. His character reminds me of Gould's Long Goodbye Marlow except or the anti-western instead of the neo-noir. I'm in the minority where I think Peckinpah's slow motion cuts are more distracting and annoying than cool. Good ending. This is leagues better than The Wild Bunch though and not quite as boring as Straw Dogs.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:25:35 PM by PowerRR » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14614 on: January 21, 2015, 02:22:20 AM »

You can try to watch Ride The High Country, a gentle and melancholic film about ageing westerners in a changed west.

Apart from that I advise you to stay away from any other Peckinpah film.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14615 on: January 21, 2015, 02:31:00 AM »

The Getaway is a safe choice. I haven't seen it for years but Steve McQueen is the action film Dustin Hoffman. Everybody likes him.

I heard that Friedkin wanted McQueen for The Sorcerer. McQueen demanded the film to be shot in the US and a lot of money. Friedkin said no. He now regrets it because "A cluse-up of Steve McQueen is worth more than anything else."

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: January 21, 2015, 02:37:00 AM »

See JUNIOR BONNER. It's a good movie. And not violent (except for rodeo riders getting bucked). McQueen plays a rodeo rider. Family melodrama during a rodeo weekend.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: January 21, 2015, 02:38:54 AM »

I also watched Sorcerer last Monday. Better than expected, in parts odd, but just like Clouzot's film not great. Both 7/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14618 on: January 21, 2015, 03:00:13 AM »

Sorcerer isn't a bad movie, it's probably worth that 6.5 - 7: it's biggest problem is its title which is completely and very dishonestly misleading if added to the fact it was directed by Friedkin.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: January 21, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »

The best philosophy would be to watch movies without knowing anything about them in advance. Which is impossible. In my case at least 60 % of the movies are ruined this way.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: January 21, 2015, 03:18:48 AM »

Some of the action scenes work. But what about the ending of the bridge-crossing scene? Something is missing there. There were shots there they couldn't get, or lost, or something. It's very unsatisfactory the way it is.

The European version of that scene ends with a shot of the bridge crashing into the river.

Despite only running 90 min the European version contains about 15 - 16 min of material unseen in the US 122 min version. It's a differently cut film which eliminates most of the prologue scenes (only some pieces appear late in the film as short flashbacks). Some of the different footage tells us important bits about the characters.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: January 21, 2015, 03:23:19 AM »

The best philosophy would be to watch movies without knowing anything about them in advance. Which is impossible. In my case at least 60 % of the movies are ruined this way.

yes, I try my best not to know anything at all about a movie's story before watching it. Not even a one-line plot synopsis. I find out other stuff like what genre it is, who's acting in it, who's directing, etc., in order to know whether or not I should watch it. But as for story, I never like to know anything. Because even the most basic plot synopses give away at least the first half-hour of the movie. Much better when I don't know anything at all about what's going to happen.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: January 21, 2015, 09:02:03 AM »

The European version of that scene ends with a shot of the bridge crashing into the river.

Despite only running 90 min the European version contains about 15 - 16 min of material unseen in the US 122 min version. It's a differently cut film which eliminates most of the prologue scenes (only some pieces appear late in the film as short flashbacks). Some of the different footage tells us important bits about the characters.
Huh. I guess I need to see the European cut . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: January 21, 2015, 09:35:51 AM »

Huh. I guess I need to see the European cut . . .

That's not easy.

The US version, which is the DC, was now professionally dubbed for TV. This raises the chance for a release, which then maybe will include the European version.

The 20 min prologue which introduces the 4 main characters in their former life is somehow more or less superfluous, while some of the European only scenes would add some extra layers to story and characters. In the European version the oil well was blown up by guerrillas (freedom fighters for some, evil terrorists for d&d), which also stole the company's nitroglycerin. And Rabal to Scheider explains that he decided by lot whom he wanted to kill in order to take his place. The lot chose Scheider, but he decided to kill another one.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14624 on: January 21, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »

I want to try Cross of Iron next!!!! One day, at least

Man on the Moon (1999) - 9/10
Now that's certainly the most fun I've had watching a biopic, as it remains more of a comedy than a "rise and fall" drama. Some cliches in the formula, with the only one could have been avoidable being the "he was passionate about comedy as a kid" thing.

Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM