Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:25:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838768 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14625 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:26 PM »

What a fucking retard, some of the funniest and most poignant stuff is in that first hour, your loss... douchebag.   Afro
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14626 on: January 21, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »

But what about the ending of the bridge-crossing scene? Something is missing there. There were shots there they couldn't get, or lost, or something. It's very unsatisfactory the way it is.

Well that is what DVD Savant's review said:

Friedkin liked to dazzle interviewers with radical filmmaking statements. He once said that he purposely cut short the finish of Sorcerer's rickety bridge scene because he had decided that the way to maintain audience tension at a peak pitch was not to give nerve-rattling scenes a calming resolution. That's why the bridge crossing ends with a bizarre cutaway the very moment that the second truck's tires reach safety. Some theory -- the cut is so ragged that it looks like the film broke, or that something was censored.

However, as I posted elsewhere, I actually thought that was a really great cut that jolted you out of the scene while match cutting the two trucks really well.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14627 on: January 22, 2015, 01:52:15 AM »

Begin Again - 4/10

I have only seen the first 40 minutes or so. It's not a terrible movie, it contains some good ideas but overall it's a fail. The fake handheld camera doesn't work at all with the hollywoodian characters and dialogues. The film also greatly lacks deepness. The music isn't good at all. Knightley shows her (strong) limitation while she's supposed to tie the movie together.
Just see Once instead. You may or may not like it but at least the film is exactly what they tried to do.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: January 22, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »

The Last Emperor - 6.5/10
It's got the scope and imagery of a great, enormous epic... but unfortunately lacks the life that would be in a Leone, Visconti, or Lean. It's a really good impression of an epic but when I have to sit for 3 hours without caring about the characters, then it's just not worth the time. Bertolucci had more or less the same problem with Novecento, which was a better (and insanely longer at 5.5 hours) film supported by some A+ Morricone music.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:37:08 PM by PowerRR » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: January 22, 2015, 05:20:23 PM »

The Last Emperor - 6.5/10
It's got the scope and imagery of a great, enormous epic... but unfortunately lacks the life that would be in a Leone, Visconti, or Lean. It's a really good impression of an epic but when I have to sit for 3 hours without caring about the characters, then it's just not worth the time. Bertolucci had more or less the same problem with Novecento, which was a better (and insanely longer at 5.5 hours) film supported by some A+ Morricone music.
10/10 (for RRPower's comments, natch).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: January 22, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »

Saw AMERICAN SNIPER again. This movie gets a 9/10. I'll discuss it more in the movie's thread when I get a chance.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: January 23, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »

Winter's Bone (2010) - 5.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: January 23, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »

WINTER'S BONE is a terrific movie. Poor you Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: January 23, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »

All the Pretty Horses (2000) - 5/10
A mediocre movie adaptation tops its even shittier novel. It's a faithful adaptation, that really only cuts out Cormac McCarthy's page-long descriptions of literally nothing but ranchers putting on boots. Billy Bob's original cut was 4 hours, and I can only image that the studio forced him to cut boot footage - the rest of the novel is intact. As for the movie, it just feels and looks like a phony film for TV, or at least a high-quality Lifetime flick. Some good imagery though - not really due to talent associated with the film - but because America is just fuckin' beautiful.

According to everyone involved, obviously, the 4 hour cut is absolutely incredible. Yet I don't think the major flaws in the movie have to do with the length, I think it's more the generic style, mediocre writing/acting, and cheap-looking production. The score is one of the worst parts, like it was just ripped from some generic movie music public domain. Apparently an original score, which Billy Bob says was "haunting and brilliant", was replaced by the shit in it now.

I'm curious to see the cut version of OUATIA, especially with shitty generic music. Would it be as bad as All the Pretty Horses, or still a passable film? Who knows.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:30:49 PM by PowerRR » Logged
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: January 24, 2015, 12:36:46 AM »

Blackhat - 4/5

Mann has never been the best at showcasing relationships in recent years or maybe he just overlooks them for everything else. I really enjoyed the film. Hacking has always been something weird to see on the big screen but apparently this film is considered to be the best one to show it.  The action scenes are well choreographed like expected. The gunfire sounds fucking heavy. It seems weird that people are dismissing it but its well made to a point where it should be seen. Hong Kong looks fantastic in digital, I wished it took place all in Hong Kong. Colors are vibrant in those scenes but also the shots that Mann use of following the electric current of what's happening in the computer are also great. I really enjoyed the technical and plot side and even the performances for what they are. I haven't seen a ton of his films but I would place this on top of Public Enemies and Miami Vice before it would reach the bottom of his from best to weakest.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: January 24, 2015, 04:41:36 AM »

WINTER'S BONE is a terrific movie. Poor you Wink

I found it rather derivative and predictable most of the time. Jen Lawrence was good though. Smiley

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: January 24, 2015, 04:47:30 AM »

Mystery Road (2013) - 5/10

Being Aussie and the whole issue aside, the movie isn't very good. Most of the bits are weak, with some being embarrassingly dumb.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: January 24, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »

The Bride Wore Black (1968) 1080p - 10/10. Jeanne Moreau is The Bride (QT alert! QT alert!), a woman intent on exacting revenge on the five men responsible for the death of her husband--killed accidently on the very day of their wedding. Her victims are, in order of assassination, Claude Rich, Michel Bouquet, Michael Lonsdale, Charles Denner, and some bald guy. Jean-Claude Brialy, who knows some of the men, gradually becomes aware of the program and attempts to halt it. But he can't--Moreau is an implacable force. Her method is both variable and unvaried: approaching the men one at a time, she becomes an obscure object of desire to each, the better to discover their weaknesses. The killings are then improvised and made apposite. Ostensibly an homage to Hitchcock (with a source novel by Cornell Woolrich and a score by Benny Herrmann), Truffaut throws suspense under the bus from the beginning. Instead, each scene is new-wave-casual. It's as if we are watching Rohmer-style vignettes about men and women that all just happen to end in murder.  There is a light tone in many of the scenes, yet this is no Kind Hearts and Coronets. Truffaut makes fun of the male characters, but never of Moreau or her mission. In scenes with her victims she is inhuman, but between those scenes something of an authentic personality shines through. After dispatching Lonsdale, for example, and learning that another woman is suspected of the crime, she phones police--at the airline departure gate of the plane she is about to board--and clears the suspect with two terse but incontrovertible statements. Later there is even a confession scene in a church (she confesses to a priest but refuses to repent--the priest asks her, then, what she's hoping to find at the confessional--she replies, The strength to carry on). This amazing film has never before been adequately served on home video in North American markets--the old MGM DVD was a non-anamorphic letterboxed job! The new TT blu looks fabulous, and it makes the movie look like a color film from 1968, not one from 2015.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: January 24, 2015, 10:31:55 PM »

Boyhood gets a 9/10

further discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11903.msg176388#msg176388

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: January 25, 2015, 03:35:01 AM »

Killer Joe (2011) - 8/10

Unpredictably disturbing, devoid of any visually seducing features (Texas, zero), with great performances and a intense finish.

Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM