Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 12:38:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767304 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14640 on: January 25, 2015, 03:35:01 AM »

Killer Joe (2011) - 8/10

Unpredictably disturbing, devoid of any visually seducing features (Texas, zero), with great performances and a intense finish.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: January 25, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »

Inland Empire - 6/10
Like The Trial, this film has the logic of a dream... a nightmare. And I really hope that's all that Lynch intended, which from quick trivia snippets, seems to be the case. If there's some point or specific meaning buried in there, it certainly isn't worth looking for. It's an extremely well done experiment in creating the atmosphere and feeling of a nightmare in film form. Atmospherically, I've only seen two films that accomplish this just as well: one I hated, Waking Life, and one I love, The Trial. So did this need to be 3 hours long? Not even fucking close: it's the definition of self-indulgent. However, considering this movie is nearly incoherent, it's surprising how quick the 3 hours goes by. It's an entertaining experiment in insanely good directing and acting, but lacks the structure and narrative for me to consider it more than a fun experiment. Laura Dern gave an incredible performance, or 3... or whatever the fuck she was doing, it looked good. It's my least favorite Lynch movie but not horrible. Looks ugly shot on a standard def camcorder, but it helps the creepy tone.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:55:59 AM by PowerRR » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14642 on: January 25, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »

Killer Joe (2011) - 8/10

Unpredictably disturbing, devoid of any visually seducing features (Texas, zero), with great performances and a intense finish.

Lots of really floppy scenes (the fight with the two guys in motorcycle...) but every Matthew line and the incredible final sells the thing.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: January 25, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

Say, couldn't you guys not always add the director's name to the film title?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:59 PM »

Edge of Tomorrow - 7/10
Or Live Die Repeat, or whatever. I had a lot of fun watching this and enjoyed the Groundhog Day device making it a relatively unique action flick. It gets real generic at the end, but the movie doesn't try too hard to be any deeper than a standard video game... I think DJ cited this as a flaw, but I appreciate its simplicity. Generally well-cut popcorn flick that's probably not too memorable in the long run but worth watching.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: January 26, 2015, 01:43:22 AM »

Lots of really floppy scenes (the fight with the two guys in motorcycle...) but every Matthew line and the incredible final sells the thing.

Yeah the visual angle of those scenes was pretty amateurish - a shame since the lines/jokes are hilarious and the pacing without fault..

Matthew McConaughey I don't usually fancy, but here he earns his bucks. You never kinda know what he's gonna do or say next, and yeah, the finale fits to it all like a crown.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: January 26, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »

The Dogs of War (1980) 1080p - 8/10. 118 minute cut. This film has two things going for it: a step-by-step tutorial on how to stage a coup; and Christopher Walken, who in this case is insolence incarnate. Also, there's Belize, playing the part of a West African sh*thole--it's one helluva performance. Shot by Jack Cardiff, the nighttime assault is, unhappily, swathed in B.S. lighting. The TT blu looks pretty good nonetheless. Vive la mort ! Vive la guerre ! Vive le sacré mercenaire !

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: January 27, 2015, 01:14:16 AM »

Senso (Visconti, 1950-whatever) - 8/10
Great film. Could be masterful if the melodrama wasn't so distracting. But, hey, what can yah do? It's both romantic and dark, and not visually beautiful but at least visually unique. A dulled own but fitting color palette. Half the film shows great restraint with melodramatic acting, the other half doesn't so much. The dialogue is always way over the top, but still elegant. All the cons contradict themselves with pros. I may be a bit drunk because of the New England storm (drinking on SLWB - am I turning into D&D?), but that's more or less as accurate as I can get. It's nowhere close to how good Rocco & His Brothers and The Leopard are, but Visconti has yet to let me down.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14648 on: January 27, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »

Matthew McConaughey I don't usually fancy, but here he earns his bucks. You never kinda know what he's gonna do or say next, and yeah, the finale fits to it all like a crown.

In this particular movie, he's the only guy who could have said most of the lines of his character. The best example is his first scene with the daughter. His answers are often monosyllabic and the information they give come as much from the text (brilliantly written) as from the way he tells them:
"Yeah..."
"I heard..."
and the like.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: January 27, 2015, 07:57:53 AM »

Senso (Visconti, 1950-whatever) - 8/10
Great film. Could be masterful if the melodrama wasn't so distracting.

Uh, since the whole film is a melodrama, I have no idea what you could be distracted from. The insistent call of your bladder? Your mom telling you to shovel the driveway?

A dulled down but fitting color palette.

I sure hope you were watching the Criterion Blu-ray.

Half the film shows great restraint with melodramatic acting, the other half doesn't so much.

Whatever.

I may be a bit drunk because of the New England storm
To each his own, but I usually get drunk because of alcohol. (I've never tried getting smashed on a storm. Do you have to take it with ice, or can you take it neat?). Everything here closed down at 11a.m. yesterday, and it remains to be seen when things will reopen. My hooch of choice yesterday was Steven Soderbergh's favorite beverage, Singani 63, a Bolivian brandy made from muscat grapes. Today I think I'm gonna switch back to my default bourbon, Blanton's.

It's nowhere close to how good Rocco & His Brothers and The Leopard are, but Visconti has yet to let me down.
You've definitely got something to look forward to then.

To everybody on the U.S. eastern seaboard enjoying the winter weather, Have a very ICE day!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: January 27, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »

Harper (1966) - (near) 7.5/10

Paul Newman with a neat performance accompanied by a great cast of supporting characters and Lauren Bacall playing the role that was like tailor-made for her, the story that isn't that bad at all and solid directing with not bad pacing or action... yet something seems missing to make it great... What is it?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: January 27, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »

The Jacket (2005) - 4/10

Seen before.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: January 27, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »

Uh, since the whole film is a melodrama, I have no idea what you could be distracted from. The insistent call of your bladder? Your mom telling you to shovel the driveway?

I sure hope you were watching the Criterion Blu-ray.

Whatever.
To each his own, but I usually get drunk because of alcohol. (I've never tried getting smashed on a storm. Do you have to take it with ice, or can you take it neat?). Everything here closed down at 11a.m. yesterday, and it remains to be seen when things will reopen. My hooch of choice yesterday was Steven Soderbergh's favorite beverage, Singani 63, a Bolivian brandy made from muscat grapes. Today I think I'm gonna switch back to my default bourbon, Blanton's.
You've definitely got something to look forward to then.

To everybody on the U.S. eastern seaboard enjoying the winter weather, Have a very ICE day!
Haha no need to dissect an admittedly drunk, rambling review. I rephrase sober: I don't generally care too much for melodramatic style, and even though Senso goes over the top sometimes, it generally restrains the style and also has a unique tone of its own. Some scenes don't feel too melodramatic at all, but others top Doug Sirk. It's not as colorful and vibrant as other melodramas of the era, but still pretty - which I appreciated a lot. I watched the Criterion SD.

Once Upon a Time in the West - 10/10
I never really liked Cheyenne's theme, and it plays a lot. Claudia Cardinale, very hot. Very few movies, if any, have such a perfect narrative balance of both character and plot development.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:40:37 PM by PowerRR » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: January 28, 2015, 01:23:10 AM »

The Earrings of Madame de ... 9/10

Second viewing. Good times. Now I wanna see Letter from an Unknown Woman again, too  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14654 on: January 28, 2015, 01:41:09 AM »

Cash Truck (2004) - 6.5/10
Now that's a good French genre film. I hadn't seen one in years, if not decades. It's even really well shot! A few plot turns and some characters would need some more work but that's a film I'd recommend.

Chopper (2000) - 6/10
The first feature film by Andrew Dominik, who later on directed The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Killing Them Softly. He also wrote The Killer Inside Me.
Well it feels like a cheap first feature but is still interesting and even gets pretty exciting at times. I never thought I'd say so some day, but Eric Bana is terrific.
The whole thing made me think about Bronson by Nicolas Winding Refn, because both were:

- low cost
- prison films
- inspired by the life of a real character
- done in a fancy way
- breaking most writing convention (for the sake of being noticed)
- used as a breakthrough by an emerging director

In both cases, it seems to have worked.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:53:05 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM