Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:16:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831661 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14730 on: February 10, 2015, 06:10:05 AM »

Gomorra: La serie (2014) 1080p - 8/10. Season One: all 12 episodes. I was hoping this was going to be like The Wire, but the focus here is squarely on the crooks. So it's mostly about jockeying for power within a crime family. Mid-series there's a bit of meandering, but things tighten up nicely for the finale. I liked the fact that no character, however prominent, was safe--anyone could die in any episode. Not a lot of realism here (haven't the characters ever heard of bodyguards? Isn't a hands-on approach to everything counter-productive? And if Naples were really this dangerous, would you ever see civilians--especially film production crews--out on the streets?). But no one watches this for realism, I gather, just to see the body count rise. Season Two begins shooting this month.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14731 on: February 10, 2015, 06:22:48 AM »

Gomorra: La serie (2014) 1080p - 8/10. Season One: all 12 episodes. I was hoping this was going to be like The Wire, but the focus here is squarely on the crooks. So it's mostly about jockeying for power within a crime family. Mid-series there's a bit of meandering, but things tighten up nicely for the finale. I liked the fact that no character, however prominent, was safe--anyone could die in any episode. Not a lot of realism here (haven't the characters ever heard of bodyguards? Isn't a hands-on approach to everything counter-productive? And if Naples were really this dangerous, would you ever see civilians--especially film production crews--out on the streets?). But no one watches this for realism, I gather, just to see the body count rise. Season Two begins shooting this month.

The (wannabe) realism was the point of the (heavily overrated) film (that everybody forgot about a few years ago). I don't think I'll give the show a chance, especially since Better Call Saul just started. By the way, why the hell are you wasting your time on a random TV show (that no one will remember next year) when you've not watched the 5 seaons of Breaking Bad twice? I garantee you the writers behind Gomorra: La Série watched each episode at least 5 times.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:25:34 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14732 on: February 10, 2015, 06:54:13 AM »

The (wannabe) realism was the point of the (heavily overrated) film (that everybody forgot about a few years ago).
It is possible the film was overrated. I still thought it was good and have re-watched it several times. I will re-watch it again in the future.
I don't think I'll give the show a chance, especially since Better Call Saul just started
I will watch Better Call Saul when it comes to Blu-ray.
By the way, why the hell are you wasting your time on a random TV show (that no one will remember next year) when you've not watched the 5 seaons of Breaking Bad twice?
I watched the first couple of episodes of season #1 back in the day--it wasn't my thing and I gave up on it.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14733 on: February 10, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »

It is possible the film was overrated. I still thought it was good and have re-watched it several times. I will re-watch it again in the future.

Most individual scenes were very good.

I will watch Better Call Saul when it comes to Blu-ray. I watched the first couple of episodes of season #1 back in the day--it wasn't my thing and I gave up on it.

Like with many good series, the best stuff comes later. This is a series they stopped when at its peak: season 5 is the most perfect TV show season ever. But if you don't like S01E01, don't waste your time with it (or Better Call Saul). I fell in love during the opening sequence, which made me hold on during the weaker mid-seasons (1 2 3 4).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:00:39 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14734 on: February 10, 2015, 07:01:25 AM »

Like with many good series, the best stuff comes later. This is a series they stopped when at its peak: season 5 is the most perfect TV show season ever. But if you don't like S01E01, don't waste your time with it. Or Better Call Saul.
Better Call Saul is about, I understand, a sleazy lawyer. I can get with a show about that.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14735 on: February 10, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »

Quai des Orfèvres (1947) Director: Henri-Georges Clouzot, Stars: Louis Jouvet, Simone Renant, Bernard Blier. Jenny Lamour (Simone Renant) wants to succeed in music hall. Her husband and accompanist is Maurice Martineau (Bernard Blier), a nice but jealous guy. When he knew Jenny is making eyes at Brignon, an old businessman, in order to get some engagements, he looses his temper and threatens Brignon with death. But Jenny went anyway to a rendez-vous at the old man's, who is murdered the same evening. The criminal investigations are lead by Inspector Antoine (Louis Jouvet). From Netflix 8.0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14736 on: February 10, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »

The Long Goodbye is often a parody (and in parts incredibly funny), with some characters being caricatures and others mere noir projections, while Night Moves has instead very believable characters and situations, the actors seem to be what they act. Both are clearly anti-genre films, but both use a very different angle for their pessimistic revisions. I can't imagine Penn for The Long Goodbye either, even if Penn injected parody and comedy very successful to otherwise serious films before in Bonnie and Clyde and in Little Big Man. And these 2 have several scenes which I put over everything Altman has ever done.

Night Moves is a silent film, and one which people tend to underrate. There is a lot under the easy looking surface.

I don't see TLG anything like you do. In my mind, it's a man-out-of-time story in a pretty realistic world. Gould's Marlowe isn't all that different from his character in California Split and the Wades are 3-D characters. If Altman can make 3 Women, he can make Night Moves - and a much better version imo.

All That Heaven Allows (1955)

I watched the bluray for the first time...and wow. I've always really liked Sirk but he's a director that I think more highly of as time passes. For what this movie is, it's basically flawless outside of the accident scene that was tacked on in the last five minutes creating a suspense that wasn't needed. But it's a small gripe, this is a beautiful movie. The lighting, framing, editing, costumes and set design are all the tops. While the script is better than most admit, it just shows you how important directors really are.

I used to complain about the casting of Jane Wyman in this and Magnificent Obsession, but I now understand what Sirk was thinking. Wyman has this repressive quality and she was probably the closest to the 'every woman' you could find at the time (as far as Hollywood actresses go). And with this picture being aimed at Housewives, you can see how that quality was (probably) recognized with the way that Rock Hudson is photographed. In many scenes, especially early on, he was filmed like the leading actress.

10/10

I'm bummed that criterion hasn't released Written on the Wind and Magnificent Obsession on bluray yet. If their transfers are comparable to this, the wait will suck even more.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:17:21 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14737 on: February 11, 2015, 02:34:25 AM »

I don't see TLG anything like you do. In my mind, it's a man-out-of-time story in a pretty realistic world. Gould's Marlowe isn't all that different from his character in California Split and the Wades are 3-D characters. If Altman can make 3 Women, he can make Night Moves - and a much better version imo.

Wade is a believable character, as is Terry Lennox. The others are mostly caricatures, but I mean this very positive. They are no mere caricatures, they still are in a strange way believable too, they all work in the film's context very well. TLG and NM and Chinatown, these are the 3 great neo-noirs of the 70s, maybe of every decade. I set them above every "real" noir, above The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Kiss Me Deadly.

If you think that the Altman of 3 Women could have made NM, then you don't see what I see in NM. An impossible notion for me. 3 Women is a cold and artificial film, the contrary of what makes NM move.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:24:53 AM by stanton » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14738 on: February 11, 2015, 03:37:40 AM »

I set them above every "real" noir, above The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Kiss Me Deadly.

You are out of your mind with that statement.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14739 on: February 11, 2015, 06:24:26 AM »

Don't Look Now (1973) 1080p - Story: 3/10; Filmmaking: 10/10. HUGE SPOILER: The film ends with a killer dwarf for no other reason, apparently, than no one expects one. You weren't expecting a killer dwarf, were you? Ha, here ya go! Zero preparation for the character. Zero explanation. But it's weird, so it helps maintain the unsettling vibe that runs throughout the film. HUGE SPOILER ENDS. Otherwise, the film is really well made, a masterpiece of camerawork and cutting (it maybe uses a few too many zooms). Peckinpah doesn't get enough credit as a influence, though: the scene in the restaurant when Julie Christie faints is definitely School-of-Sam slo-mo, and the justly famous sex scene was undoubtedly inspired by the let's-go-swimming bit in The Getaway.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14740 on: February 11, 2015, 08:41:51 AM »

Courtesy of TCM's 31 Days of Oscar:

1. Battleground (1949) 7.5/10

Solid WWII film directed by William Wellman about the Siege of Bastogne

2. I Take This Woman (1940) 7.5/10

First Heddy Lamarr film I've seen. The woman was a bueat and she could act, too  Afro
Spencer Tracy plays a doctor – everything is wonderful while he is making no money working in a clinic for the poor, then he loses his morals by going to the "uptown" hospital dealing with the rich and their usual problems – infidelities, suicides, etc. – and then he reclaims his morals by going back to the poor hospital. This theme is the usual silly caricature, poor people good, rich people bad, but the movie is mostly enjoyable.

3. The Cabin in the Cotton (1932) 7/10

I'd never heard of the leading actor, Richard Barthelmess (second-billed) and it's obvious why. No clue how this guy got the lead in any movie. Decent movie, anyway – with a very young Bette Davis first-billed – about the tensions between the poor cotton pickers and the rich landowners in the South. Opening text says that the movie's attempt isn't to take sides, only to "pictorialize" the tensions, but it's quite clear that this movie – made by the socially conscious Warner Bros., is on the side of the poor cotton pickers.

4. Grand Illusion (1937) 9/10

First viewing

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:53:42 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14741 on: February 11, 2015, 09:22:22 AM »

I'd never heard of the leading actor, Richard Barthelmess
OMG, see some movies! You've never seen Only Angels Have Wings? It's one of Hawks' best. Drop everything and get hold of that title is some form. It's essential! You pontificate about film after film, and then it turns out you haven't even seen some of the most essential ones! How can you make comparisons when you have nothing to compare with? How did you even get on this board?

Tirade aside, yeah, Barthelmess was nothing special. But very few of those 30s male actors were any good. Gable was about the only one of interest. A few, like Grant and Bogart, worked in the 30s but didn't come into their own until the 40s. The 40s is where you start getting good leading men, especially post-war.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14742 on: February 11, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »

Don't Look Now (1973) 1080p - Story: 3/10; Filmmaking: 10/10. HUGE SPOILER: The film ends with a killer dwarf for no other reason, apparently, than no one expects one. You weren't expecting a killer dwarf, were you? Ha, here ya go! Zero preparation for the character. Zero explanation. But it's weird, so it helps maintain the unsettling vibe that runs throughout the film. HUGE SPOILER ENDS. Otherwise, the film is really well made, a masterpiece of camerawork and cutting (it maybe uses a few too many zooms). Peckinpah doesn't get enough credit as a influence, though: the scene in the restaurant when Julie Christie faints is definitely School-of-Sam slo-mo, and the justly famous sex scene was undoubtedly inspired by the let's-go-swimming bit in The Getaway.

I admit I was thinking about giving it another chance these days, but this seems to be more or less what I thought when I saw it some 5 years ago. The interpretation that the dwarf should be some sort of connection to the couple's dead daughter mixes with the plot like oil does with frozen yogurt. It could have been a leprechaun just as well, or a dream.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14743 on: February 11, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »

Whiplash (2014) - 8/10 (maybe more after a re-watch)

It's great that every once and a while a movie pops out whose creator(s) understand that all the stories of this world have already been told, over and over, and hence doesn't club you in the brain trying to tie every nod of the plot and amplify every personal crisis putting it on a giant poster. One great plus is that here you have a character who, in the midst of all this, actually takes care for himself, without sacrificing his energetic, naiveness-driven enthusiasm. Although it all starts like it always starts...

Great performances by the two leads, the younger being more visceral and unpredictable, in a good sense.

I'll add that I don't know and don't care much about jazz, which makes this accomplishment all the greater. Actually, to make it worse, jazz seems to be one of the very few dimensions of music I truly and sincerely dislike.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:42:21 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14744 on: February 11, 2015, 03:25:45 PM »

OMG, see some movies! You've never seen Only Angels Have Wings? It's one of Hawks' best. Drop everything and get hold of that title is some form. It's essential! You pontificate about film after film, and then it turns out you haven't even seen some of the most essential ones! How can you make comparisons when you have nothing to compare with? How did you even get on this board?

Tirade aside, yeah, Barthelmess was nothing special. But very few of those 30s male actors were any good. Gable was about the only one of interest. A few, like Grant and Bogart, worked in the 30s but didn't come into their own until the 40s. The 40s is where you start getting good leading men, especially post-war.

RE: 30's actors, I am a big fan of Cagney and Robinson among leading men (plus a few supporting actors like Thomas Mitchell)

funny thing about Barthelmess in this movie – in some scenes he has lipstick and in some he doesn't. It's pretty glaring  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM