Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 02:10:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843051 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14745 on: February 12, 2015, 05:19:36 PM »

The King of Marvin Gardens - 5/10 - Pretentious crap with good acting.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14746 on: February 12, 2015, 05:52:19 PM »

The King of Marvin Gardens - 5/10 - Pretentious crap with good acting.

I remember I once saw this on TCM and I just shut it off after half an hour; it was bad

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14747 on: February 13, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »

The interpretation that the dwarf should be some sort of connection to the couple's dead daughter mixes with the plot like oil does with frozen yogurt. It could have been a leprechaun just as well, or a dream.
The whole ESP angle is extremely dated. Also, the idea that having "second sight" might not really give you an advantage is better handled in The Shining.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14748 on: February 13, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »

European Vacation (1985) - 6/10

Has a few moments.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14749 on: February 13, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »

I remember I once saw this on TCM and I just shut it off after half an hour; it was bad

It took me two tries to get through it. I liked enough scattered things to warrant that 5/10 instead of, say, 2/10 but it doesn't amount to anything.

Have you seen Five Easy Pieces?

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14750 on: February 13, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »

Sauve qui peut (la vie)/Every Man For Himself (1980) 1080p - 3/10. This was the first Godard film I ever watched, in a cinema, when it first toured the U.S. I hadn't remembered much about it--only that it had these gratuitous slow-motion effects, and that there was a female character who liked to cycle. After watching this film, more than 30 years ago, I never bothered with any other Godard films for 2 decades. Re-watching the film yesterday on Criterion Blu-ray (10/10) reminded me why.

AHAHAHAH. Spot on. But 3/10 is still too generous.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14751 on: February 14, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »

Better Call Saul - season 1 episodes 1 & 2 - 9/10

This is exactly as well done, written and played as the last season of Breaking Bad (ie the best tv show season I've ever seen). The pacing is slow: they spend a lot of time on character development and background information before anything to move. Lots of very smart ways to insist on little but how telling details. The photography is gorgeous and often goes into neo noir territory. It results in a more adult show than its older brother and could very well end up being better. It's probably already the best spin off ever but I'm not too well versed in tv shows to be too affirmative about that.
Oh and also Saul Goodman is already among the greatest protagonists I've seen (tv or cinema). Now let's see if he can continue to be developed just like Walter Walt was but so far, the Coen brothers can be really jealous.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14752 on: February 14, 2015, 03:21:37 AM »

Shaft's Big Score (1972) first sequel to Shaft, subverts the original's PI Shaft into some type of James Bond like clone, too much glitz, too much extended action, gone is the gritty bowels of NYC feel of the original, too bad 6/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14753 on: February 14, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »

Better Call Saul - season 1 episodes 1 & 2 - 9/10

This is exactly as well done, written and played as the last season of Breaking Bad (ie the best tv show season I've ever seen). The pacing is slow: they spend a lot of time on character development and background information before anything to move. Lots of very smart ways to insist on little but how telling details. The photography is gorgeous and often goes into neo noir territory. It results in a more adult show than its older brother and could very well end up being better. It's probably already the best spin off ever but I'm not too well versed in tv shows to be too affirmative about that.
Oh and also Saul Goodman is already among the greatest protagonists I've seen (tv or cinema). Now let's see if he can continue to be developed just like Walter Walt was but so far, the Coen brothers can be really jealous.

So fucking good. Agreed with almost everything - but I don't think it'll be quite as good as BB. I just can't imagine anything being that good. Judging from those 2 episodes though, it's off to an even better start.

I'm done with movies for now. TV is just better and easier. Face it... why sit through a boring 2 hours of crappy characters when I could just watch  50+ hours of a TV show with excellent characters? I feel like I've seen all the good movies. It's like one in every 20 that I might give an 8. That's 40 hours of movies for something that's worth talking about. It's not too hard to find an excellent show that starts off with a bang and keeps going for months of viewing time.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14754 on: February 14, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »

The China Lake Murders (1990) - 6/10

OK for a TV movie I guess, good performances, should have been a lot better though.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14755 on: February 14, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »

I'm done with movies for now. TV is just better and easier. Face it... why sit through a boring 2 hours of crappy characters when I could just watch  50+ hours of a TV show with excellent characters? I feel like I've seen all the good movies. It's like one in every 20 that I might give an 8. That's 40 hours of movies for something that's worth talking about. It's not too hard to find an excellent show that starts off with a bang and keeps going for months of viewing time.

This is crazy talk, and why are you acting like you can't gain anything from re-watching films? If I had a choice between either being able to watch all the movies I've already seen and TV, I'll easily take movies without even hesitating.

I can go on a nice rant on this subject but Bret Easton Ellis says it better than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRkWbAGB3DU&t=1m52s

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:05:40 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14756 on: February 14, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »

This is crazy talk, and why are you acting like you can't gain anything from re-watching films? If I had a choice between either being able to watch all the movies I've already seen and TV, I'll easily take movies without even hesitating.
Absofuckinglutely!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14757 on: February 14, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »

I can go on a nice rant on this subject but Bret Easton Ellis says it better than I can.

The thing is, the science, pleasure and excellence of storytelling is now on TV, not in movies. What has happened on TV in recent years is exactly what we lost in movies in the early 90's.

For the record, I need both worlds. And we're living an amazing time where pretty much everything from 6 second Vines and 2min YouTube videos to 3 hours movies and 40 hours TV shows are available whenever, wherever, however you want. So I'm taking all of (the best of) it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14758 on: February 14, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »

What he says about the best movies is true about the best tv shows. I can watch some episodes of Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks or The Persuaders over and over. Also, the "personal visual style" from Breaking Bad or True Detective is exactly as good as the one you can find in the best films.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14759 on: February 14, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »

Wow, I had never before had any interest in Mad Men, but after hearing Bret's rave, I can't get to it fast enough.

Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM