Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:36:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770921 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14805 on: February 18, 2015, 07:34:20 AM »

I know we've had the debate about what Indio is smoking. I don't know if that will ever be settled. I have no knowledge of that stuff and therefore no opinion.
Frayling decided it was Mary Jane, and then took Leone to task for not knowing the proper effects the stuff produces. But it's actually Jimson weed that causes hallucinations (i.e. flashbacks). The proper identification of the weed obviates Frayling's objections.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14806 on: February 18, 2015, 10:05:14 PM »

The fact that most shows keep something easy to follow in the foreground doesn't mean you don't have to work hard to get the juicy stuff.

I'm not saying that TV can't have something deeper going on (though 95% of shows probably don't have anything beneath the surface), but the familiarity with the characters and the overall plot of the show (for a lack of a better phrase) is what makes TV incredibly easy to ingest. Movies are completely different, I couldn't watch Leone's final three movies in one day but could have no problem rolling through a season or 10-11 hours of a TV show on a Sunday.

I'm not trying to say that TV is worthless by any stretch but I think it's misguided to think that both mediums are equals or do the same thing.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:41 AM »

Frayling decided it was Mary Jane, and then took Leone to task for not knowing the proper effects the stuff produces. But it's actually Jimson weed that causes hallucinations (i.e. flashbacks). The proper identification of the weed obviates Frayling's objections.

why do you say "hallucinations (i.e. flashbacks)"? Hallucinations don't necessarily involve flashbacks. I understand that there are many drugs that cause people to hallucinate; I've never heard that they cause flashbacks. (I do know that when one drinks alcohol, he can remember incidents from his past that he hasn't thought of in a long time. Though it doesn't cause hallucinations.) That link you provided mentions hallucinations, but I don't recall it saying anything about recalling the past. Have you seen anywhere where it says that Jimson weed makes people have flashbacks?

By the way, Indio's whole life seems to have been very influenced by that rape/suicide not just the flashbacks when he is smoking. He uses the stopwatch for every duel. He even has the final flashback when he has not been smoking his weed (although it's because Groggy asks him specifically what significance the watch has). He doesn't need the weed to remind him of that incident.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14808 on: February 19, 2015, 03:41:05 AM »

The hallucinating part of it is the no bullet holes or blood  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: February 19, 2015, 03:50:23 AM »

The hallucinating part of it is the no bullet holes or blood  Afro

when has Leone shown bullet holes or blood? I mean, he's used it sometimes (like to show the bullet hole in Indio's sister after she commits suicide, and to show the wound in Groggy when he is trying to kill Manco at the end) but plenty of shootings occur in Leone movies where you don't see any blood. Unfortunately.

This is Leone, not Peckinpah  Tongue

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14810 on: February 19, 2015, 04:03:48 AM »

when has Leone shown bullet holes or blood? I mean, he's used it sometimes (like to show the bullet hole in Indio's sister after she commits suicide, and to show the wound in Groggy when he is trying to kill Manco at the end) but plenty of shootings occur in Leone movies where you don't see any blood. Unfortunately.

This is Leone, not Peckinpah  Tongue

Yes, but DYS shows then the Peckinpah influence. Slow motion and spurting blood in the flashback.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14811 on: February 19, 2015, 04:20:35 AM »

Yes, but DYS shows then the Peckinpah influence. Slow motion and spurting blood in the flashback.

Lots of blood and bullet holes in OUATIA too.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14812 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:02 AM »

This is FAFDM we are discussing. The point is: the fact that there is no blood when Indio shoots Mortimer's brother-in-law in the flashback, is not unique in that or other Leone films. (The fact that Leone did show blood at other times doesn't change this. Considering the fact that Leone (at this point in his career) was frequenly showing no blood during a shooting, nothing unique should be learned from this scene just because there was no blood. Don't say, "The fact that there is no blood in this scene means X ..." because it can just as likely simply have no meaning, since Leone often had shootings occur without blood

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: February 19, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »

This is FAFDM we are discussing. The point is: the fact that there is no blood when Indio shoots Mortimer's brother-in-law in the flashback, is not unique in that or other Leone films. (The fact that Leone did show blood at other times doesn't change this. Considering the fact that Leone (at this point in his career) was frequenly showing no blood during a shooting, nothing unique should be learned from this scene just because there was no blood. Don't say, "The fact that there is no blood in this scene means X ..." because it can just as likely simply have no meaning, since Leone often had shootings occur without blood
I'm pretty sure CJ was just being funny. He wasn't advancing an actual argument.

And I was just suggesting that flashbacks can be a particular form of hallucination. I'm pretty sure that hallucinations come from images and what-have-yous stored in the mind. And memories would qualify. So a flashback would be a sub-category of hallucinations.

Such things fit better with Jimson weed. I haven't had a lot of MJ, but the one thing I remember from my few weed experiences was that my sense of time passing seemed to slow way down. And it turned me mean. But that was about it. No hallucinations.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: February 19, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure CJ was just being funny. He wasn't advancing an actual argument.

we discussed this all before....

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11362.0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14815 on: February 21, 2015, 10:57:57 PM »

Nightcrawler - 7/10 - An aesthetic marvel, beautifully shot and Jake Gyllenhaal's performance is excellent. Yet it's the kind of movie that makes a point (not an original point, either) and beats you over the head with it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14816 on: February 22, 2015, 03:18:58 AM »

Thieves Like Us (1974) Dir. Robert Altman, with Keith Carradine, Shelley Duvall, John Schuck, Bert Remsen, and Louise Fletcher.  Slow placed remake of They Live By Night. Stick with the original 6/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: February 22, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »

Nightcrawler - 7/10 - An aesthetic marvel, beautifully shot and Jake Gyllenhaal's performance is excellent. Yet it's the kind of movie that makes a point (not an original point, either) and beats you over the head with it.

IMO that beating over the head primarily occurs in the last few minutes, like I discussed here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12076.msg174944#msg174944
until then, I have virtually no complaints, (save for the minor issue of the sexual relationship between Gylenhaal and Russo that I discussed in that thread). Still I'd give the movie a higher rating than you did

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: February 23, 2015, 07:57:53 AM »

The perfect antidote for a TV movie awards show: real movies!

Ordet (1955) Criterion DVD. 10/10.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) 1080p - 9/10. I get more out of this every time. I just realized that when Sheriff Ali leaves the picture--looking backwards as he disappears into shadow--it complements his entry into the film, which he did facing forwards and emerging from mirage, which is, of course, light. The logic of images is a great thing to behold.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14819 on: February 24, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »

American Sniper 5/10

Very good SEAL commercial. If you succeed to put the moral issues aside, it's a good war film. An 7.5/10 that could have been 8+. But only a psycho would be able to put the moral issues aside.
The action scenes as well as the intimate husband/wife scenes are good. The direction is way above everything Eastwood did after Million Dollar Baby. I suspect his team helped a lot because it's a tough job, especially for a 85+ guy. A few scenes/elements that are borderline laughable: the very not nice sniper scenes, a couple lines, the "come back to us your familly need you" rants...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM