Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:32:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759742 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14910 on: March 16, 2015, 04:24:40 AM »

Lady On A Train (1945) Deanna Durbin, mystery fluff with Dan Duryea, and Ralph Bellamy. New York Central train stops on Park Avenue viaduct (Metro North nowadays) Deanna spots murder taking place in adjacent apartment window and proceeds to solve crime. 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14911 on: March 16, 2015, 06:07:58 AM »

Haven't seen any others. Stroszek? Land of Silence and Darkness? Heart of Glass?
Definitely Heart of Glass (which is probably my fave). All Herzog is interesting, so see whatever you can. You haven't yet seen Even Dwarves Started Small? Must be experienced at least once.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14912 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:12 AM »

Noah Baumbach 3-fer at Lincoln Center, a kind of loose trilogy (according to the official line):
Kicking and Screaming (1995) 35mm - 6/10. Losers graduate college and then find it difficult to move on. Seems like a student film, where the students involved first saw Whit Stillman's Metropolitan and decided they could put on the same kind of show. Some of the dialog is amusing.

The Squid and the Whale (2005) 35mm - 5/10. Two brothers watch as their parents split up, then take sides. If the earlier film was Too Much Stillman, this one shows the hand of Wes Anderson (who in fact co-produced). Too much hysteria. All the way through I was thinking, Rushmore did a lot of this better.

While We're Young (2015) DCP - 7/10. A childless middle-aged couple (Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts) meets a pair of twenty-somethings(Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried) and re-discover their youth (sort of). But the youngsters are not entirely what they seem . . . . This time the filmmaker I kept thinking of was Woody Allen. Didn't we already make fun of foreign mystics in Annie Hall? Didn't we already have the intellectual-on-film-being-edited in Crimes and Misdemeanors? The couple are in the documentary filmmaking biz, and we get to see things about the industry that are kinda cool, but just as Baumbach gets close to making a statement about integrity and truth in filmmaking he pulls his punch. In the Q&A afterwards he admitted that he wasn't really interested in the topic, he just needed a profession for his characters that was visually interesting. For him the film was just about the relationship between the two oldsters. Which is OK, but no more than that.

Why do I keep trying with Noah Baumbach? Because a few years ago he made Greenberg, one of the funniest films of the millennium. I keep hoping lightning will strike twice, but it is looking less and less likely.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14913 on: March 19, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »

Ride the Pink Horse (1947) 1080p - 4/10. Man, what a disappointment! A dull story dully told. And Robert Montgomery is a hopeless actor. The device of the little Mexican girl (Wanda Hendrix) who follows the hero around is annoying and serves no purpose. Yeah, there's some good photography, but it's mostly of sets. I can think of 100 other crime films of the period I prefer.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14914 on: March 19, 2015, 07:59:21 AM »

Ride the Pink Horse (1947) 1080p - 4/10. Man, what a disappointment! A dull story dully told. And Robert Montgomery is a hopeless actor. The device of the little Mexican girl (Wanda Hendrix) who follows the hero around is annoying and serves no purpose. Yeah, there's some good photography, but it's mostly of sets. I can think of 100 other crime films of the period I prefer.

I'm telling you, man, join Netflix and/or iTunes or one of many other movie-rental services, and stop buying BRD's before you've seen the movie. You'll save a lot of money that way by not buying a BRD until you know you like the movie. Rent the movie first, and if you like it you can then buy the BRD.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14915 on: March 19, 2015, 08:52:26 AM »

I'm telling you, man, join Netflix and/or iTunes or one of many other movie-rental services, and stop buying BRD's before you've seen the movie. You'll save a lot of money that way by not buying a BRD until you know you like the movie. Rent the movie first, and if you like it you can then buy the BRD.
You see everything in terms of money. I, perhaps because I'm older, see everything in terms of time. It's faster and easier to buy things. Also, if I rented I would try to watch too much. As I can't buy everything, buying helps me discriminate, and this also saves time.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14916 on: March 19, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »

What about space? you must need a whole room for all those movies. even I have way too many (400-500 probably)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14917 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »

You see everything in terms of money. I, perhaps because I'm older, see everything in terms of time. It's faster and easier to buy things. Also, if I rented I would try to watch too much. As I can't buy everything, buying helps me discriminate, and this also saves time.

Why is it faster and easier to buy things? The same few clicks it takes to purchase a disc on Amazon can be spent adding that title to your Netflix queue.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14918 on: March 19, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »

What about space? you must need a whole room for all those movies. even I have way too many (400-500 probably)

DJ is a millionaire and has a mansion. One of the outbuildings on his property serves as a special movie man-cave. Money and space mean nothing to him  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14919 on: March 19, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »

Why is it faster and easier to buy things? The same few clicks it takes to purchase a disc on Amazon can be spent adding that title to your Netflix queue.
Maybe. But when is the disc going to show up? With amazon I know the exact day, even the hour, and can plan accordingly.

Space is a problem, but one of a much lower order of magnitude. If you can convince me that Netflix would save me any more time I might be persuaded to modify my habits. Otherwise . . .

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14920 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »

Do you think I would like this? I normally don't blind buy but I might have to break it for this one.

FWIW I find Lady in the Lake to be unwatchable because of the decision to shoot everything in POV.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14921 on: March 20, 2015, 06:02:43 AM »

Do you think I would like this? I normally don't blind buy but I might have to break it for this one.

FWIW I find Lady in the Lake to be unwatchable because of the decision to shoot everything in POV.
But once you see Montgomery on screen for an entire feature, you may feel nostalgic for LitL. Pink Horse is a really bad film. I don't know your tastes, but I recommend you rent it first.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14922 on: March 20, 2015, 06:04:38 AM »

Naked Lunch (1991) 1080p - 10/10. Still the funniest movie ever made. And note, Drink, it isn't even a comedy.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14923 on: March 20, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »

I recommend you rent it first.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Grin Grin Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14924 on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »

Too bad I liked it quite a bit http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11282.msg156631#msg156631

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM