Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:27:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1841024 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14940 on: March 28, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »

Apart from the unhighsmithian end.

How's the ending in the book? More like the 1999 version?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14941 on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:27 PM »

Fanny (2013) 7.5/10

French movie, directed and written by Daniel Auteuil, who also plays one of the main roles.

I did not like the first half at all, I was seriously considering shutting it off, but I stayed with it and am happy I did; I enjoyed the second half (starting with the scene in which fanny walks up to the church) very much. Jean-Pierre Darroussin is good as Panisse, Victoire Bélézy is very good as Fanny, and Daniel Auteuil is spectacular as César. If I could split the movie, I'd say the first half was like a 5/10 and the second half like an 8.5/10! But if I have to give the movie a rating, I'll give it a 7.5/10. (Another instance demonstrajavascript:void(0);ting how ratings are just the beginning of a discussion  Wink )

This movie has really good music, by Alexandre Desplat.

I don't believe anybody here has ever mentioned this movie; the only one whom I'd guess may have seen it is n_l. Waddaya say, man? Have you seen this? You have to keep me abreast of the latest happenings in French cinema; I'm always on the lookout for good French movies  Wink

---

UPDATE: So I am doing some reading about this movie; it turns out that the movie is actually adapted from the second installment of a trilogy of plays, known as The Marseilles Trilogy, by Marcel Pagnol (1895–1974). The first installment, called Marius, was also made into a movie by the same team that made Fanny and released at the same time, in 2013; the last installment, which hasn't yet been released, will be called César.

So I just watched the first movie in the trilogy, called Marius. I liked it. I realize now that the reason I didn't like the first half of Fanny may well have been that I didn't see Marius first. At the time, I didn't realize I was missing anything, it didn't seem like any plot holes, I had no idea that it was the second in a trilogy; but looking back now, I can see that I probably would have enjoyed the first half of Fanny more if I had seen Marius first. So, disregard the rating I gave Fanny. I don't think I should rate these movies, since I screwed up the order of watching the installments; I'll just say that they're good enough that you should check them out if you have a streaming service (I watched them on Netflix); I wouldn't recommend you run out and by the BRD. Oh, and if you watch them, watch them in order: first Marius, then Fanny  Smiley

I'll watch the third movie in the trilogy, called César, whenever it is released http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1872100/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:47:45 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14942 on: March 29, 2015, 02:42:56 AM »

How's the ending in the book? More like the 1999 version?

He gets away with murder (and with the money). Otherwise it would have become difficult to write several sequels.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14943 on: March 29, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »

Fanny (2013) 7.5/10

French movie, directed and written by Daniel Auteuil, who also plays one of the main roles.

I did not like the first half at all, I was seriously considering shutting it off, but I stayed with it and am happy I did; I enjoyed the second half (starting with the scene in which fanny walks up to the church) very much. Jean-Pierre Darroussin is good as Panisse, Victoire Bélézy is very good as Fanny, and Daniel Auteuil is spectacular as César. If I could split the movie, I'd say the first half was like a 5/10 and the second half like an 8.5/10! But if I have to give the movie a rating, I'll give it a 7.5/10. (Another instance demonstrajavascript:void(0);ting how ratings are just the beginning of a discussion  Wink )

This movie has really good music, by Alexandre Desplat.

I don't believe anybody here has ever mentioned this movie; the only one whom I'd guess may have seen it is n_l. Waddaya say, man? Have you seen this? You have to keep me abreast of the latest happenings in French cinema; I'm always on the lookout for good French movies  Wink

---

UPDATE: So I am doing some reading about this movie; it turns out that the movie is actually adapted from the second installment of a trilogy of plays, known as The Marseilles Trilogy, by Marcel Pagnol (1895–1974). The first installment, called Marius, was also made into a movie by the same team that made Fanny and released at the same time, in 2013; the last installment, which hasn't yet been released, will be called César.

So I just watched the first movie in the trilogy, called Marius. I liked it. I realize now that the reason I didn't like the first half of Fanny may well have been that I didn't see Marius first. At the time, I didn't realize I was missing anything, it didn't seem like any plot holes, I had no idea that it was the second in a trilogy; but looking back now, I can see that I probably would have enjoyed the first half of Fanny more if I had seen Marius first. So, disregard the rating I gave Fanny. I don't think I should rate these movies, since I screwed up the order of watching the installments; I'll just say that they're good enough that you should check them out if you have a streaming service (I watched them on Netflix); I wouldn't recommend you run out and by the BRD. Oh, and if you watch them, watch them in order: first Marius, then Fanny  Smiley

I'll watch the third movie in the trilogy, called César, whenever it is released http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1872100/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

I'll never watch this turd Cheesy

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14944 on: March 29, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »

Did you even try watching one? There's some good acting here. The story can be sort of soap-opera like, but each movie is short (like 1:30 or 1:40). Whether the third one is overkill or not, I'll have to wait and see.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14945 on: March 29, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »

Did you even try watching one? There's some good acting here. The story can be sort of soap-opera like, but each movie is short (like 1:30 or 1:40). Whether the third one is overkill or not, I'll have to wait and see.

No I never tried. I hate everything I've seen/heard about them. Stick with the real Pagnol Wink
By the way have you seen jean de Florette and Manon Des Sources (Claude Berry adapting Pagnol's books)? And La Gloire de mon Père and Le château de ma mère (Robert adapting Pagnol's books)? What you like about the Auteuil films already was in these films, but, you know, without the turd part. They're really good, although some people on the board disagree.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14946 on: March 29, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »

No I have not seen those movies. I know that some movie versions of these plays have been made previously, but I haven't seen any of them. I know there were some made in the 30's and a version of FANNY was made in 1961 with Charles Boyer and Maurice Chevalier.
The movies you are talking about, which ones are those? When were they made?
Anyway, if you like good acting, the writer-director who also plays the role of Cesar, he is terrific. If you have Netflix streaming, check it out, won't cost you anything.
The only other movie I have seen with him is My Favorite Season, but now I wanna watch more of his movies.
I am not certain that you'd love these movies, but they are certainly not turd!
So, now you have heard something about them that says they are NOT turd Wink

Anyway, you have to keep me abreast of good French dramas. Unfortunately they rarely play in theaters in NY and you don't hear about them in America, so I have to rely on you to point out when a good movie is released on BRD. Merci beaucop Smiley

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14947 on: March 30, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »

He gets away with murder (and with the money). Otherwise it would have become difficult to write several sequels.

Fair enough.

No I have not seen those movies. I know that some movie versions of these plays have been made previously, but I haven't seen any of them. I know there were some made in the 30's and a version of FANNY was made in 1961 with Charles Boyer and Maurice Chevalier.
The movies you are talking about, which ones are those? When were they made?

Here are the films I'm talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Florette
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manon_des_Sources_(1986_film)

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Father%27s_Glory_(film)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Mother%27s_Castle_(film)

(for some reason, the last ")" sign refuses to be included in the link so you'll have to copy and paste the url with the ")" in your address bar so that you can see the pages)

Anyway, if you like good acting, the writer-director who also plays the role of Cesar, he is terrific. If you have Netflix streaming, check it out, won't cost you anything.
The only other movie I have seen with him is My Favorite Season, but now I wanna watch more of his movies.
I am not certain that you'd love these movies, but they are certainly not turd!
So, now you have heard something about them that says they are NOT turd Wink

He's Daniel Auteuil. He has a part in the Jean de Florette film I'm mentioning, which incidentally kick-started his career while still being his very best work. He's an interesting guy but owes most of his jobs to his charisma more than his talent (I'm not saying he's a bad actor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Auteuil

You may have seen him in other films.

Anyway, you have to keep me abreast of good French dramas. Unfortunately they rarely play in theaters in NY and you don't hear about them in America, so I have to rely on you to point out when a good movie is released on BRD. Merci beaucop Smiley

Haha I'm pretty sure Stanton watches more recent French movies than I do. I'm easily turned off by technical laziness in filmmaking.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:04:21 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14948 on: March 30, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »

Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book - 7/10 - 1990's live action Disney flick with Jason Scott Lee as Mowgli, protecting his animal friends, an Indian treasure and gal pal Lena Headey from sniveling Brit Cary Elwes. John Cleese and Sam Neill also star. More a mish-mash of Tarzan and King Solomon's Mines than Kipling, but very entertaining.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:41:39 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14949 on: April 01, 2015, 06:22:57 AM »

Day of Anger (1967) 1080p - 7/10. First time viewing--I've been waiting all my life for the Blu, I guess. And man, does it look good (too bad that bum Leone doesn't rate this level of respect). I watched the longer cut with Italian audio and I enjoyed the film much more than most Spaghettis--there were a few moments, though, where the plot had me scratching my head. OK, so LVC wants his $50,000 and Al Mullock knows who to finger--why don't they do a deal? LVC can go after the guys in question and, if successful, he can give a cut to Al (waiting in Mexico). Of course, LVC could cut Al out completely, but Al wouldn't be any worse off than he is now, so why not take the chance? At the very least, LVC would wreak some vengeance on Al's betrayers--why wouldn't he be down with that? And then he'd also know who had all the money if he wanted to come after LVC later. So why does Al want LVC dead before the guy has a chance to run his revenge mission? And what kind of strategy is it to send the gang away and face LVC by yourself? Another thing--when LVC hits town the $50,000 seems to no longer be on LVC's mind. OK, maybe he figures shaking the whole establishment down and setting himself as the new man in charge is a more profitable way to go--but shouldn't we get some kind of indication that his thinking has developed?

Characters are not well limned, but that allows for the dynamics of the situation to change suddenly, a good thing. I liked the fact that everyone was so inscrutable (vis-à-vis each other). And of course, it's always fun when old friends like Al or Benito Stefanelli drop in to get killed. (I especially liked the duel-on-horseback using ball-and-powder rifles--great, great bit.) Apparently Valleri only shot for 2 weeks in Spain and then finished the bulk of the picture in Rome. As a result, his town scenes look a bit fake, and the over-lit interiors are rather annoying (if only the director had seen some Leone films, he'd have known what was possible with dimly lit rooms). Maybe he was going for an AW look, though. Anyway, on balance I liked the look of the film, and the presentation on disc is superb. There are two kinds of people, my friend: those who give fuck-all for cinema, and those who own this release.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14950 on: April 01, 2015, 04:39:32 PM »

So you're saying we should buy the disc even if we dislike the movie? I think I'll pass.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:57:57 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14951 on: April 01, 2015, 05:11:09 PM »

So you're saying which should buy the disc even if we dislike the movie?

That's what DJ has been saying in almost of every post of his in the last five years: The movie sucks, but you're a loser if you don't own the BRD  Grin

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14952 on: April 01, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »

ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS

story is sorta clever but I didn't like the movie much. Way too many voiceovers, which are very annoying. Voiceover is the worst possible way to tell a story. If it is used once or twice, I'll live with it. But a movie with lots of voiceovers is not a good movie.

6/10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14953 on: April 02, 2015, 02:18:49 AM »

ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS

story is sorta clever but I didn't like the movie much. Way too many voiceovers, which are very annoying. Voiceover is the worst possible way to tell a story. If it is used once or twice, I'll live with it. But a movie with lots of voiceovers is not a good movie.

6/10

Depends very much on how the voice over is used. If it tells you what you see on the screen (like in Sunset Boulevard Wink ) it is a bit disappointing. And in novel adaptations it really can become annoying.

But in other films the voice over can be part of the narrative strategy. Like in A Clockwork Orange where it can make identify you with a character you better should hate.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14954 on: April 02, 2015, 03:11:26 AM »

SUNSET BLVD. does not use voiceover (as I am using the term here); it uses narration, which is a whole different thing. Narration is someone (whether or not a character in the movie) speaking to the audience directly. Voiceover, as I am using the term, is when you see the character and then hear a voiceover of him say his thoughts. Basically, when a movie wants us to know what a character is thinking, and he is alone so he can't state his thoughts to anyone, we see his face and then hear his voice speaking his thoughts. That is what I mean by voiceover, and as a rule they are almost always annoying and the worst way to tell a story. The filmmakers have to find a better to way to let us know the character's thoughts - e.g., by having him say them to another character; by knowing how to impart thoughts without dialogue, which a good filmmaker can do; or or by having a good use of narration, such as with SUNSET BLVD. Tongue Also DETOUR, much of the narration is telling us the character's thoughts, but because he is saying it directly to the audience, it is narrated and it is goo, whereas somehow I find it very annoying when they just do it as a non-narration voiceover.
Needless to say, narration is also often used very poorly, and bad use of narration has screwed up many movies. But there is also great use of narration - including several Billy Wilder movies; DOUBLE INDEMNITY may be the greatest use of narration ever, and SUNSET BLVD. is great too, IMO. But with non-narration voiceover, there is no such thing as a good use of it. The only storytelling device as bad is having a character talk to himself. That is when you know a filmmaker is really incompetent: when he tells the story through characters talking to themselves and/or stating their thoughts in non-narration voiceovers.

Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM