Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:10:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762581 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15015 on: April 11, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »

The best De Broca I've seen (not that I've seen a lot). You'll like it a lot. It's an incredibly fast paced movie for 1964.
Have you seen the one they did after that, Up to His Ears? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_to_His_Ears It's ok not as good. Characters, dialogues, story, editing, camerawork, The Man From Rio beats it everywhere.
That seems to be the general consensus. Oh well, the two films come packaged together in the US release coming Tuesday. The first one, if it's as good as you say, will probably leave me wanting more, and the sequel, even if it isn't up to the first's level, will be a nice extra to have.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: April 11, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »

The best De Broca I've seen (not that I've seen a lot). You'll like it a lot. It's an incredibly fast paced movie for 1964.
Have you seen the one they did after that, Up to His Ears? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_to_His_Ears It's ok not as good. Characters, dialogues, story, editing, camerawork, The Man From Rio beats it everywhere.

Cartouche is the best of the De Brocas with Belmondo.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15017 on: April 11, 2015, 01:04:51 PM »

The second one (it's a different character so not exactly a sequel) is still worth it.

Stanton: I saw Cartouche as a kid and didn't like it. It sure deserves a real viewing one of these days!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: April 12, 2015, 08:38:31 AM »

The Clouds of Sils Maria (2014) 1080p - 6/10. While secluded in beautiful Sils Maria, an aging star of stage and screen (Juliette Binoche) and her PA (Kristen Stewart) run lines for a play the star is considering for her next project. The play is one the actress assayed at the beginning of her career, her first triumph. At that time she played a young schemer who manipulated the feelings of an older professional woman. Now she is being asked to play the older woman, a role she dislikes. Real tensions arise between the star and her PA as they rehearse.

Apparently, everyone in the entertainment industry is a solipsistic asshole. The actress here is an asshole, her PA is an asshole, the director is an asshole, the co-star (convincingly played by Chloë Grace Moretz) is an obnoxious asshole, the co-star's boyfriend is an asshole, the various photographers, agents, journalists, hangers-on, etc. are all assholes. Why should any of us care about any of these creatures, or the industry in which they thrive?

Recently there have been a spate of films about annoying entertainers. Llewyn Davis was an asshole, but he was an interesting asshole. Birdman was an asshole, but he was an amusing one (and he was Birdman!). But the characters in Sils Maria are just assholes. At the end of the film I was muttering, "Off with their heads."

Olivier Assayas, one of my favorite directors, does some good things in the film. He shoots on beautiful locations. He interestingly interpolates footage from one of Dr. Fank's mountain films. He plays tricks with super-imposition, edits well, rescues the fade-out from disuse. But he does other things badly. The lines from the play-within-the-film are insipid (Assayas wrote the film as well as directed it), not credible as the work of a highly regarded playwright. Worse, the play has supposedly been around for decades, but the language sounds like it was written in 2013 (the play was probably originally written in German--maybe it's a new English translation?). The satirical scene from an ersatz Sci-Fi film the characters watch doesn't play at all (no way would this have been done in 3-D, let alone get released). Music selection is usually Assayas's strong suit, but he blows it here. Apparently he wanted a mostly classical score (he allows one Primal Scream song), but he reached for clichés, Pachalbel and Handel. When Handel's Xerxes was used in The Makioka Sisters in 1984--scored for synthesizer!--it was refreshing. Thirty years later it just sounds tired.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the director's next film--"a heist action thriller" with De Niro and Robert Pattinson. Assayas apparently believes he's the French Steven Soderbergh.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15019 on: April 12, 2015, 09:15:13 AM »

He also believes he can put every Twilight actor to good use - he actually can.

Also, we could use a French Soderbegh.

The SciFi erzatz is the worst thing in the movie. The best thing is the acting, which is really top notch.

You didn't comment on the way he crosses the play and the film. The concept is overused but that's the first time I see it coming together so smoothly. Mainly because the script is smart enough to keep strong differences between the two: you always know that a bit from the play is going to be found back in "reality", but you're always surprised at who it happens to. It is the reason why I find your rating harsh.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: April 12, 2015, 09:25:58 AM »

You didn't comment on the way he crosses the play and the film. The concept is overused but that's the first time I see it coming together so smoothly. Mainly because the script is smart enough to keep strong differences between the two: you always know that a bit from the play is going to be found back in "reality", but you're always surprised at who it happens to. It is the reason why I find your rating harsh.
Well done, yeah, but it bored me to death. I've been taken down that road too many times.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15021 on: April 12, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »

Did you see it in theater? I wonder how the scene where she drives in the montain with lots of super-imposition works on a little screen. It worked very well in theater. It shouldn't work at all because it's the kind of stuff that doesn't work.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:44:38 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: April 12, 2015, 04:16:06 PM »

The "1080p" tag I put on my review means I watched the Blu-ray (in this case, the French Blu-ray). I got tired of waiting for it to show up here in cinemas.

I thought the super-impositions were interesting and worked pretty well (I have a 46" screen and I sit pretty close to it). I was glad Assayas decided to put a Primal Scream tune under the images at that point--I really needed a break at that point from the "good taste" soundtrack that had been operating up until then.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: April 13, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »

Thief (1981) haven't seen this in quite a while, noir-ish with great cinematography, 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: April 13, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »

It Follows (2014)

Everyone needs to see this who hasn't yet. It's basically the Halloween of the current generation. The electronic score is amazing, as is the atmosphere and the cast of fresh faces is very refreshing. There is this thick tension throughout the entire movie where you feel like something big is going to happen at any moment and the false frights (for a lack of a better phrase) are completely earned. While the 3rd act may not be perfect this is an excellent piece of filmmaking, from all aspects. There is absolutely zero producer or hollywood stank on this movie, it's a great throwback to the classic 70s horror films without a trace of pastiche.

And basically all of the problems that most complain about in horror or modern horror aren't to be found, but I don't want to go into details because it will contain spoilers.

9/10

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:57:17 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15025 on: April 14, 2015, 04:32:20 AM »

Escape in the Fog (1945) Director: Budd Boetticher Stars: Otto Kruger, Nina Foch, William Wright. Woman (Foch) has a dream in which she is standing on the San Francisco Bay Bridge walkway and being accosted by a policeman who asks if she's there to kill herself soon after he departs a car stops nearby and she witnesses a scuffle and screams as a man is about to be knifed and presumably dumped off the bridge she screams and awakens. Upon awakening events play out that make the dream come true. Lots of fog and atmosphere it's watchable 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15026 on: April 14, 2015, 06:05:52 AM »

A Dream of Kings (1969) 4/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: April 14, 2015, 11:39:02 AM »

Escape in the Fog (1945) Director: Budd Boetticher Stars: Otto Kruger, Nina Foch, William Wright. Woman (Foch) has a dream in which she is standing on the San Francisco Bay Bridge walkway and being accosted by a policeman who asks if she's there to kill herself soon after he departs a car stops nearby and she witnesses a scuffle and screams as a man is about to be knifed and presumably dumped off the bridge she screams and awakens. Upon awakening events play out that make the dream come true. Lots of fog and atmosphere it's watchable 6/10
Sounds like Cornell Woolrich territory. I think I've actually seen this, but I don't remember anything about it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15028 on: April 14, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »

Sounds like Cornell Woolrich territory. I think I've actually seen this, but I don't remember anything about it.

Sounds like one but it's not writing credit is listed as Aubrey Wisberg (original screenplay). Nina looks cute in it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15029 on: April 14, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »

L'Homme de Rio - 8.5/10

I had not seen it in ages and had forgotten almost anything. Great Tintin adaptation that heavily influenced Spielberg when he did the first Indiana Jones.
Savant weighs in on the new Blu: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4786rio.html

Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM