Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:53:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769296 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15030 on: April 14, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »

It's basically the Halloween of the current generation.

So that means it can be safely skipped.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15031 on: April 15, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »

So that means it can be safely skipped.

How do you hate Halloween?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15032 on: April 15, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »

Great build-up, boring when Michael actually starts killing people.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15033 on: April 16, 2015, 04:19:16 PM »

Five minutes to Live (Door To Door Maniac) (1961) Stars: Johnny Cash, Donald Woods, Cay Forester 5/10 on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KxUJ_so5S8

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15034 on: April 17, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »

Street Kings (2008) - 3/10

Like I've seen it all before somewhere, sometimes... hmm...

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15035 on: April 18, 2015, 07:31:09 AM »

House of Games (1987) not as good as I'd heard watchable 6.5-7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15036 on: April 18, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »

King Solomon's Mines (1950) - 8/10 - Hasn't much to do with the novel until the last 20 minutes, but an excellent adventure flick regardless.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 5/10 - My favorite movie when I was 8 years old. There's not much to commend it as an adult, except the score and Pete Postlethwaite.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:25:02 PM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15037 on: April 19, 2015, 02:54:24 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044495/

Chi É Senza Peccato ... (1952) 6/10

I saw this Italian movie on TCM; in English, its title means "He Who Is Without Sin ..." (The movie has a Region 2 DVD release, but nothing on Region 1.)

cast, courtesy of wikipedia

Yvonne Sanson: Maria Dermoz
Amedeo Nazzari: Stefano Brunot
Françoise Rosay: Contessa Lamieri
Enrica Dyrell: Laura Morresi
Mario Ferrari: John Morresi
Anna Maria Sandri: Lisetta Dermoz
Gianni Musy: Dario

This is a disappointing melodrama, because I think the story has some potential to be made into a good movie, but it wasn't handled very well. The movie was directed by Raffaelo Matarazzo; screenplay by Aldo De Benedetti from the novel "Geneviève" by Alphonse de Lamartine.

So here is the basic plot - there are two settings, one in Canada and one in Italy:

The movie opens in a camp of Italian immigrants working in the lumber industry in Winnipeg, Canada. Stefano is one of these poor, hardworking immigrants, trying to save enough money to bring his fianceé, Maria, over from Italy. Stefano's boss, John, informs him that tough immigration restrictions will make it difficult for Maria to come to Canada before they are married, so John advises Stefano to marry Maria by proxy while she is in Italy; then, once she is his wife, she will have no problem being allowed into Canada. Meanwhile, in Italy, Maria is concerned about joining Stefano in Canada because she has a young sister, Lisetta, to look after; but eventually Maria agrees, and marries Stefano by proxy, and Maria is all set to go to Canada, when she learns that Lisetta has become pregnant by Dario, the grandson of Contessa Lamieri. The Contessa doesn't want anyone to know that her grandson has impregnated the poor Lisetta, so she sends Dario away to Argentina; she has Lisetta give birth in secret, then has the midwife dump the baby in a church. Meanwhile, Maria doesn't want Stefano to know anything about this, so she keeps giving Stefano excuses for why she has to delay coming to Canada. Then, Maria gets falsely accused of abandoning the baby – she doesn't want to say what really happened because she wants to protect her sister. Oh, and Stefano's boss's wife, unhappy in her marriage, keeps trying to seduce Stefano .......

and on and on the melodrama goes. I'm not trying to say that this is some kind of insanely original incredible Oscar-worthy script; I'm just saying a good movie could have been made from it, by a good director. I think that this material has the potential to be handled well and made into a good movie, but this really was not made well. There are lots of twists and turns to the story and the movie kind of just makes them happen, relying on the story to keep you interested, but in a melodrama like this you have to give the story time to develop, have slow scenes and dramatic music, to kind of build up the emotion, but this is kind of reading like a straight script; the actors read the lines, the story has one twist, then another, then another, it's like the director is relying on the script itself – all the twists and turns – to keep the viewer interested, rather than actually MAKING a movie. The script and acting are good, but the directing is bad. As a general matter, I think the script is probably one of the least important aspects of any movie – how the movie is made is what matters. To paraphrase Roger Ebert, what's important is not what a movie is about, but how it is about it. You can't just take a good novel, have the actors read the lines, and assume that will be a good movie.

Oh, and by the way, Yvonne Sanson is beautiful. I think she looks like Olivia de Havilland, but prettier http://goo.gl/a0KBss

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:03:33 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15038 on: April 19, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »

I haven't seen this particular movie, but I've seen 4 others by this director, and all are pretty much the way you've described this one: all plot and acting, little else. But that is exactly what you want in this kind of movie. What you are calling "directing" I would call mediation: a director interposing himself between the material and the audience to either dilute the essence of the drama or add a competing style. That is absolutely not what the audience for this kind of picture desires. They want their melodrama unadulterated. That means plenty of plot twists coming fast and furious, and acting choices that go to "11." The film should be as far away from reality as it is possible to get without falling into burlesque. Naturalism is fine, but that's another course on a different menu. It's possible you haven't developed the taste for what you've just sampled--like the chap who says he can't enjoy the caviar because it smells fishy. Anyway, from your description, it sounds to me like the film you've just seen should get a "10."

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15039 on: April 19, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »

Well, if you think you'll like it so much, there is a Region 2 DVD on Amazon. (That's an old question as to whether it'll work in your BRD player Smiley )

I am not necessarily looking for some major auteurism with fancy camera angles or whatever; I just want to feel like it is a movie rather than a script-reading session.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15040 on: April 19, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »

The Missing (2014) 7/10 - 1080p. A Starz/BBC production: 8 episodes. This is a crime drama about a UK couple whose boy goes missing while the family is on holiday in France. The series is organized around two interweaving time lines: the disappearance and the events immediately following, which occur in 2006, and the resolution of the case, which takes place in 2014 (there's also a bit set in 2009 that comes late in the series). The switching between past and present is well done and keeps things interesting. I perceived that the series would have a problem, though: since it was obvious that the case would go cold in 2006, requiring it to be resumed in 2014, I wondered how interest could be sustained for the 2006 material. Obviously, there'd be a number of red herrings to get through, and the fact that they'd be red herrings was going to be obvious and lead to tedium. But the producers found a way around this problem--by making the couple not merely victims, but people with secrets of their own. So there'd be plenty of reveals in both time periods. And they threw in a lot of ancillary characters who have something to do with the case but also have lives of their own by which sub-plots could be developed. It works pretty well, but it's still a lot of time to get through, and there was a certain amount of padding added, especially late in the day. And some of that padding consists of characters telling others "profound" TV truths. Still, it's more interesting than most of what's available on TV--and the ending is really worth waiting for.

Some will argue that this is an anti-vacation show, but I insist that it is merely an anti-French-vacation show. Evil

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15041 on: April 19, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »

I am not necessarily looking for some major auteurism with fancy camera angles or whatever; I just want to feel like it is a movie rather than a script-reading session.
But how can that be? Nazzari and Sanson are such hams!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15042 on: April 19, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »

Ruby Sparks - 8/10 - Paul Dano's a writer who envisions his perfect girlfriend (Zoe Kazan). She comes to life, but proves to have her own personality - so he keeps rewriting her backstory to make her more compliant. Very much an indie comedy, from the artsy protagonists to the French pop songs on the soundtrack, but works better than most. If only for being a savage deconstruction of the genre's plague-spot, the Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

Khartoum - 7/10 - 3rd viewing. Looks spectacular in HD, but still messy. The script is talky and the casting odd: I can buy Heston as Gordon if I must, with Ralph Richardson and Nigel Green making the most of extended cameos, but Laurence Olivier the minstrel Muppet and Richard Johnson's woodenness? Pass. The basic story's compelling, the battles incredible, and Frank Cordell's music excellent, but still feels like it should be much better.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15043 on: April 20, 2015, 04:22:43 AM »

Captain Phillips (2013) - 6.5/10

I guess my biggest problem with it is that I don't really care for any of the characters, as the movie doesn't seem to himself. That, and the shaky cam - you can't shoot the whole movie on it, what's the point?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15044 on: April 20, 2015, 06:41:58 AM »

Captain Phillips (2013) - 6.5/10

....and the shaky cam - you can't shoot the whole movie on it, what's the point?

Exactly I really am starting to hate it.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:49:57 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM