Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:48:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1807136 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15045 on: April 21, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »

Noodles and power, see It Follows and back me up on that movie.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15046 on: April 22, 2015, 12:43:35 AM »

U Turn (1997) 1080p - 9/10. This film noir parody is probably the funniest film Oliver Stone has made. He trots out all the noir tropes and has them play out in the blinding Arizona sun (which itself is a gag). J-Lo makes a great femme fatale, but the support players--Billy Bob Thorton, Nick Nolte, and a Jim-Thompson-level-bad-cop Powers Booth--keep things amped up for the hero, badly played (as usual) by Sean Penn. Hey, here's a film where Penn's inability to act is actually an asset. My favorite character, though, is the fake blind Indian played by Jon Voight. At one point he tells Penn: "Your lies are old ones, but you tell them pretty good." That could be the motto for the whole film.

I haven't seen this movie, but Sean Penn is a terrific actor. I think you are biased because you don't like his politics Wink He was great in Carlito's Way and Mystic River.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15047 on: April 22, 2015, 04:25:56 AM »

They Drive By Night (1940) Director: Raoul Walsh with Stars: George Raft, Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Alan Hale and some great character actors headed up by Roscoe Karns. This, Red Light along with Scarface are the three of Raft's films that I like, (though honestly I haven't seen all that much of them).

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:30:22 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15048 on: April 22, 2015, 05:01:06 AM »

Noodles and power, see It Follows and back me up on that movie.

I will! Unfortunately I just missed it in theater. I'll have to wait for the VOD release.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15049 on: April 22, 2015, 06:12:39 AM »

I haven't seen this movie, but Sean Penn is a terrific actor. I think you are biased because you don't like his politics Wink He was great in Carlito's Way and Mystic River.
He's always great until he opens his mouth.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15050 on: April 22, 2015, 06:28:16 AM »

He's always great until he opens his mouth.

I'm always great until I open my fly.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: April 22, 2015, 07:54:45 AM »

Yes, that's what your girlfriends have always told me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15052 on: April 23, 2015, 07:35:02 PM »

The Drum - 6/10 - Korda adventure film based on an A.E.W. Mason novel. Roger Livesey is a dashing British soldier serving the Raj; Valerie Hobson his fashionable wife; Sabu, the underage maharajah; brown-faced, scenery-eating villain Raymond Massey steals the film. Clunky plotting, full of cliches and stereotypes, but reasonably diverting. Sadly the picture quality on the Eclipse DVD is rather poor.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: April 24, 2015, 05:47:09 AM »

I just saw Tormento (1950) – TCM had shown it back to back with Chi E Senza Peccato (1952), but I DVR'd it and just got around to watching it now.

It's almost like the same friggin' movie. Both directed by Raffaello Matarazzo and starring Amedeo Nazzari and Yvonne Sanson and spouses kept apart for most of the movie (in CESP it's cuz one is in Canada and one in Italy; in Tormento it's cuz Nazzari is in prison on a false murder charge). Both involve a child born out of wedlock, being raised by Sanson as a single mother; both involve an evil old woman (the Contessa in CESP; in Tormento, it's Sanson's evil stepmom) making things miserable for Sanson, and in both movies Sanson has to leave the child in the care of others cuz she is too poor to take care of them. And both movies involve lots of nuns and heavy doses of religious stuff.

So I basically sat through the same movie twice.

I'm done with Matarazzo. Twice is more than enough.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: April 25, 2015, 07:18:28 AM »

Ex Machina (2015) – 7/10. Creepy mad scientist Oscar Isaac has invented artificial intelligence and housed it in the sexy body of Alicia Vikander (because if you could, you would, right?). Instead of banging her, though, Issac wants to find out if she’s really a conscious being—does she both know how to think and know that she knows—is she aware of herself? Issac brings in a young dude (Domhnall Gleeson--who?) to help. They decide that a simple Turing test isn’t adequate: the machine is so good it could simulate consciousness without really being conscious. They need something better. Young Dude interviews the android; the android interviews Young Dude back. The android makes a joke [evidence of AI, even stronger than what we usually get from subject “titoli”!]. Then during a power outage, when the pair cannot be seen or observed (on the mad scientist’s home entertainment system), the foxy droid intimates that all is not as it seems . . . or is she just playing Our Young Dude? This nicely photographed film includes shots of rustic Norway, where the action is supposedly set. The sonics are interesting.

SPOILER
: What the film comes up with as a test of female consciousness is simplicity itself. It turns out if your female AI lies to you, stabs you in the back, then leaves in search of a Bigger, Better Deal, it’s proof she thinks and acts just like a real woman. Q.E.D. END SPOILER

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15055 on: April 25, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »

Flashpoint (1984) - 4/10

Snoozer.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: April 25, 2015, 12:57:50 PM »

Everything Will Be Fine - Wim Wenders

Unexpected surprise, Wenders can still make an entertaining film, and actually this is his best since ... since ... an eternity. Well, since Wings of Desire (1987). It's poetic, it's realistic (sort of), it's sensitive, it's well acted, it's in 3-D. 9/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: April 25, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »

Crappy title, though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: April 26, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »

Maps to the Stars (2014) 1080p – 9/10. Forget Hollywood Babylon. Welcome to Hollywood Abaddon. David Cronenberg is our Virgil, introducing us to a Child Star From Hell (Evan Bird), a Has-Been Actress From Hell (Julianne Moore), a Psychologist/ Motivational  Speaker From Hell (John Cusack), and, in a cameo, a Carrie Fisher Who Just Looks Like Hell. And moving amongst them all is Mia Wasikowska, a burn-victim PA with a frightening agenda. They all see dead people, or most of them do . . . could it be because they’re, you know, from Hell (or going there soon?).  This is satire with real bite. Warning: children and dogs die in this film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: April 28, 2015, 07:05:02 AM »

I Am Steve McQueen (2014) - 6/10. How can you have a doc about the life and career of McQueen and not even mention Nevada Smith, Junior Bonner, An Enemy of the People, or The Hunter? I guess you can if all you want to do is prove that Steve was a racer who acted rather than an actor who raced (which is kind of what the movie is about--we get to see a lot of Steve's cars). Too bad the films aren't taken more seriously (they're just occasions for Steve to register his "cool"). I blame Chad McQueen, who is heavily interviewed and produced. Still, Steve is always fun to watch, even in old interviews, and those moments when he appears (bobbing up from within a sea of talking heads) are entertaining. And for those who want something more substantial there's always Mike Siegel's book.

Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM