Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:00:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762695 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15060 on: April 28, 2015, 07:05:02 AM »

I Am Steve McQueen (2014) - 6/10. How can you have a doc about the life and career of McQueen and not even mention Nevada Smith, Junior Bonner, An Enemy of the People, or The Hunter? I guess you can if all you want to do is prove that Steve was a racer who acted rather than an actor who raced (which is kind of what the movie is about--we get to see a lot of Steve's cars). Too bad the films aren't taken more seriously (they're just occasions for Steve to register his "cool"). I blame Chad McQueen, who is heavily interviewed and produced. Still, Steve is always fun to watch, even in old interviews, and those moments when he appears (bobbing up from within a sea of talking heads) are entertaining. And for those who want something more substantial there's always Mike Siegel's book.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15061 on: April 28, 2015, 07:38:51 AM »

The Age of Adaline (2015)

In 1937, Adaline Bowman, a 29-year-old widowed mother, has an accident, dies and is revived, and is magically rendered impervious to aging. She'll forever live on and look 29 years old. As time goes by, her daughter grows up; soon enough, her daughter starts looking the same age as the mother, and people start wondering what's going on, and Adaline realizes that if anyone finds out, they'll turn her into a novelty act or a specimen or whatever, so she decides to run away to a new town every few years and start life anew with a different identity. Nobody knows her secret except her daughter. Now it's the beginning of 2015, Adaline is 110 years old, still looks like a beautiful 29-year old, her daughter is an old woman (played by Ellen Burstyn). Adaline has always avoided falling in love or having many friends (she has one blind friend) cuz she knows she can never share her secret with them. But then of course, she does meet a guy and starts getting feelings for him, which, to borrow from the IMDB description, "complicates the eternal life she has settled into."

Usually, this sort of material would be done as a comedy, but this movie does it as a drama.
I'm not into Fantasy movies at all I only saw the movie cuz the AMC theater listing says this is a Drama/Romance; it says nothing about the movie being a Fantasy. So I won't give a rating, but I'll say that I think that for what it is, the movie was done pretty well. In other words, if this sort of story interests you, then I think you may enjoy this movie.

Blake Lively is good as Adaline, but specific mention must be made of Harrison Ford in a supporting role he plays the father of the guy that Adaline falls in love with. Ford is absolutely terrific.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:47:00 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: April 28, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »

They could have adapted Zelazny's This Immortal but made this piece of crap instead. That's Hollywood for you: first they rip off a concept, then rip the guts out of it, then serve it up to the pablum-eating know-nothings of the 21st Century. What a world.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15063 on: April 28, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »

They could have adapted Zelazny's This Immortal but made this piece of crap instead. That's Hollywood for you: first they rip off a concept, then rip the guts out of it, then serve it up to the pablum-eating know-nothings of the 21st Century. What a world.

you've seen this?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: April 28, 2015, 01:18:01 PM »

The trailer.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: April 28, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »

The trailer.

Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15066 on: April 29, 2015, 05:50:02 AM »

When the Hemingway family were having their estate sale I went and purchased Ernest's built-in shit detector. Since that day, I can tell whether a film is any good after 30 seconds of screen time. I am never wrong.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: April 29, 2015, 06:20:06 AM »

The White Buffalo (1977) 1080p - 6/10. My brothers, when the great warrior goes out to seek his death he should find it, not some cheap-o animatronic steam-snorting white rug. Chief Dino did not come across with enough wampum, I guess, which means he must wander howling between the worlds for the rest of time. Still, the council he assembled was formidable: Bronson, Warden (never better), Pickens, Whitman, Carradine, Novak, Samson, Walker. The medicine they made was not strong, but the dialogue had a certain hackneyed charm I still enjoy. A 6/10 flick, but a 6/10 flick I will re-visit often.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15068 on: April 29, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »

Dirty Dingus McGee (1970) Director: Burt Kennedy Stars: Frank Sinatra, George Kennedy, Anne Jackson and a hot Louise Nettelton. Actually enjoyed watching this spoof, check out Nettelton as she transforms her character Prudence. 7/10  Afro

No Way Out (1987) Remake of The Big Clock magazine pub house replaced by the Pentagon its watchable 7/10

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:20:00 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15069 on: April 29, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »

The Last Frontier - 5/10 - A bunch of B Movie cliches ground into an inedible Western sausage. If it weren't for the scenery you wouldn't know Anthony Mann directed this.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: April 30, 2015, 06:06:22 AM »

The Mechanic (1972) - 9/10. Bronson is da man, and Jan-Michael Vincent turns in an Oscar-worthy impression of Groggy, years before Groggy was born. A very lean film--every one of its 100 minutes counts. And then, in the middle of this Michael Winner film, suddenly they go to Naples! A Winner film with a budget? Yes, and maybe once there were unicorns, also.
OK, maybe the "9" was a bit generous. But an "8" for sure. I guess I was just excited by the TT transfer, which makes the film look as good as ever without introducing an alternate color scheme, artificially sharpening details, turning everyone's complexion red. And, when I was defending the film to stanton I mentioned 4 explosions--but in fact, there are 6! And there's an incredibly nice bit with a car overturning--and disintegrating--down a slope. And this film has truly one of the greatest endings in cinema history.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15071 on: April 30, 2015, 02:17:43 PM »

Age of Ultron (2015) I can't actually find the will to go to this. I did read the quotes posted at IMDb, though, and as snappy banter they run about "7". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395427/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: April 30, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »

No Way Out (1987) Remake of The Big Clock magazine pub house replaced by the Pentagon its watchable 7/10

Yep Smiley

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15073 on: April 30, 2015, 02:45:11 PM »

The White Buffalo (1977) 1080p - 6/10. My brothers, when the great warrior goes out to seek his death he should find it, not some cheap-o animatronic steam-snorting white rug. Chief Dino did not come across with enough wampum, I guess, which means he must wander howling between the worlds for the rest of time. Still, the council he assembled was formidable: Bronson, Warden (never better), Pickens, Whitman, Carradine, Novak, Samson, Walker. The medicine they made was not strong, but the dialogue had a certain hackneyed charm I still enjoy. A 6/10 flick, but a 6/10 flick I will re-visit often.

Yep Smiley

Nope  Wink

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15074 on: April 30, 2015, 03:57:44 PM »

I saw it on the big screen in Missoula, Mt. wasn't impressed either.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM