Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 07:56:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767792 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15105 on: May 11, 2015, 11:47:48 AM »

I've only seen the 1935 version – with Peter Lorre as Raskolnikov and Edward Arnold as the Inspector; directed by Josef von Sternberg – and I liked it very much.
The property has been adapted many times. Apparently, there is also a 1935 French version (with Harry Baur, set in Russia) but I haven't seen it.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15106 on: May 13, 2015, 01:11:07 AM »

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (6 part TV mini-series) 9.5/10

One of the best things I've seen since Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul - highly recommended.

The director Andrew Jarecki has been working on the Robert Durst story for 10 years and the movie "All Good Things" he made in 2010 starring Ryan Gosling Kirsten Dunst and Frank Langella is also worth a look since it fills in some of the blanks about Robert's relationship with his father and his life with Kathy before her disappearance. The film makers had 3 options regarding Susan Berman's murder and chose the wrong one but five years ago the director wasn't aware of the facts which have now emerged about the case.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15107 on: May 13, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »

X [The Man With the X-Ray Eyes] (1963) 1080p - 7/10. Ray Milland: "The city... as if it were unborn. Rising into the sky with fingers of metal, limbs without flesh, girders without stone. Signs hanging without support. Wires dipping and swaying without poles. A city unborn. Flesh dissolved in an acid of light. A city of the dead." Rickles: "As many naked women as my poor eyes can stand!" Matthew 5: "And if thine eye offends thee . . . pluck it out." Roger Corman: "That's how you do it on 250,000 dollars."

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15108 on: May 13, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »

Onibaba (1964) - (near a) 7/10 (depending on the weather)

Not a horror but a visually interesting (Japanese) historical drama with quite a few psychological underlinings, not as original now but I presume quite fresh back then. Also narrated in a simple, honest, nevertheless inspired way, without too much spice. Worth a look.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15109 on: May 13, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

Onibaba (1964) - (near a) 7/10 (depending on the weather)

Not a horror but a visually interesting (Japanese) historical drama with quite a few psychological underlinings, not as original now but I presume quite fresh back then. Also narrated in a simple, honest, nevertheless inspired way, without too much spice. Worth a look.
I prefer the follow-up, Kuroneko (The Black Cat), which is visually richer.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15110 on: May 13, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »

The Spy in Black - 7/10 - Early Michael Powell film featuring Conrad Veidt as a German U-Boat captain working to sabotage the British fleet at Scapa Flow. Not bad, more interesting as a thematic precursor to 49th Parallel/Colonel Blimp/etc.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15111 on: May 14, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »

I prefer the follow-up, Kuroneko (The Black Cat), which is visually richer.

I have it on my schedule Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15112 on: May 14, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »

Laurence Anyways - Xavier Dolan, 2012

It started fascinating, but I still needed some time to get into the movie, but later it sucked me in. 9/10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15113 on: May 14, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »

Mad Max 2- 7/10
I liked it, but could've been like an hour shorter. Not enough story to sustain 90 minutes of repetitive action.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15114 on: May 15, 2015, 05:52:16 AM »

Mad Max 2- 7/10
I liked it, but could've been like an hour shorter. Not enough story to sustain 90 minutes of repetitive action.
Huh, I wonder how you're going to like Fury Road, which doesn't have enough story to sustain 120 minutes of repetitive action.

Anyway:
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 2D - 7/10. Meh, it's OK.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15115 on: May 15, 2015, 05:58:30 AM »

The long action scene (but short compared to modern films) at the end of MM2 is well made, even if relying more on spectacular stunts than on cinematic composition. The plot with the usual redeemer stuff and most (but not all*) characters are of no particular interest, but the action holds it together.

* the kid is allright (and totally not annoying btw) as is the helicopter pilot and of course the guy with the boomerang in his head

7/10 for The Road Warrior

6,5/10 for the first Mad Max

edited for slandering reasons by the author, turning this all into a slender thread

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:57:46 PM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15116 on: May 15, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »

The long action scene (but short compared to modern films) at the end of MM2 is well made, even if relying more on spectacular stunts than on cinematic composition.

It relies more on spectacular stunts AND incredible set design. The camerawork is at the service of the cars, weapons and the costumes. Which is probably why it's always been one of my favorite car chases.
For the plot: a great western. Not a good one, a great one. The helicopter pilot is one of the greatest movie characters ever. Lord Humungus is in my top 5 bad guys ever. The kid is great. The buffon that gets his finger cuts is pure cinema. Add Max himself as a great "Blondie meets Drive" man with no name variation. That's already more great movie characters than we've seen in the last 15 years of American films. The other characters aren't great as individuals but that's not where the work was put. They work perfectly as archetypes and more importantly they're defined by their costumes (which are the only costumes in a film that come close to Leone's level).

Did you count how many times "great" occurred in the previous paragraph? That must really be a great film.

RRpower is too young to remember how Western films are made so I'm not even answering him. Let's just say there is more heart in the 2 minutes of on-screen music box alone than in the full 3 hours of the Master (but 10 times less than in the doorway quote from Inherent Vice).

Mad Max - 5/10 (need a rewatch)
Road Warrior - 8+/10 (would be a 9 without the stupid Star Wars transitions)
Beyond Thunderdome - 4/10
Fury Road - 8+/10

For the record, an 8/10 means that's a movie I'll watch every year until I die. It's not just one point above DJ's "7/10 - meh, it's ok but Raid 1 and 2 are totally 10/10, totally not repetitive and totally involving even if everybody including me had forgotten these movies even existed."

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:44:43 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15117 on: May 15, 2015, 09:31:43 AM »

For the record, an 8/10 means that's a movie I'll watch every year until I die. It's not just one point above DJ's "7/10 - meh, it's ok but Raid 1 and 2 are totally 10/10, totally not repetitive and totally involving even if everybody including me had forgotten these movies even existed."
Sir, you are slandering me. I gave The Raid 2 a "10" but never The Raid 1. The Raid 1 has it's good points, but it is just a rip-off of Dredd.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15118 on: May 15, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »

Sir, you are slandering me. I gave The Raid 2 a "10" but never The Raid 1. The Raid 1 has it's good points, but it is just a rip-off of Dredd.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I have ever watched them. There was a fight at some point, I think.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15119 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »

most if not all characters are not of particular interest,.

While I was looking for the correct spelling of Lord Humungus, I found this article about him:
http://ocdviewer.com/2014/04/21/the-great-villain-blogathon-the-lord-humungus-in-mad-max-2-1981/

Come on, try to forget you've seen the movie, that it's so famous and that it's everywhere in pop culture. Now that you've found the innocent child in you, plead read these few sentences out loud:

"If you’ve ever seen George Miller’s Mad Max 2 (released in the U.S. as The Road Warrior), you know the Lord Humungus.
He’s hard to forget.
The Lord Humungus is a cryptic but endlessly fascinating villain played by Swedish bodybuilder Kjell Nilsson. He’s clad in skimpy black leather bondage gear and wears a steel hockey goalie’s mask. He packs a Smith & Wesson Model 29 fitted with an optical scope (the same piece Dirty Harry carries, sans scope of course). He drives a heavily modified F100 truck with six tires, exhaust stacks, and a pair of injured, screaming men tied to poles attached to the front.
The Lord Humungus is the leader of a band of marauders in a post-apocalyptic Australia. Like any good king, he has a herald.
[...]
Who is The Lord Humungus? Where did he come from? And what’s under that mask?
Mad Max 2 never answers any of these questions, which is why The Lord Humungus is my favorite movie villain of all time."

... and now please edit your post because it's plain slandering (thanks DJ for this new word).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:07:53 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM