Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:35:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1837388 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #15150 on: May 24, 2015, 03:05:30 PM »

Ex Machina - Alex Garland

Garland's directorial debut tells in cool elegance about the men-machine relation ship. The robot is sexy and I was never sure if the 3 main characters are what they seemed to be. 8/10
This gets 7/10 from me. It's pretty good generally speaking but lacking a little something. It's got really interesting bits mixed with pretty basic thriller genre stuff. The ending was surprising, though, at least to me.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15151 on: May 24, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »

Yes, I'm not really sure what I think of Ex Machina. It may grow, it may sink on  a second viewing. And I'm not sure what it means to me. It still circles in my mind, which is positive.

Maybe the part of Caleb should have been shaped into a more aggressiv direction, into a more self assured character, one who is as dubious as the other 2.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: May 24, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »

The Outfit (1973) Director: John Flynn based on novel by Donald E. Westlake stars Robert Duvall, Karen Black, Joe Don Baker, Sheree North, Bill McKinney, and a plethora of Cassic Noir stars, Robert Ryan, Timothy Carey, Richard Jaeckel, Marie Windsor, Jane Greer, and Elisha Cook Jr. A by the book Crime film that could have been great if had any thing extra. As is, no style at all an the noir stars save Ryan are small cameos. Supposedly was going to be a retro noir, it's not even a neo. Still watchable, about a 7/10.

I don't think it's fair to say the movie doesn't have any style, it's 70s rough, gritty, grimy filmmaking done right. While it's not the level of a Dirty Harry, Eddie Coyle or Charlie Varrick, The Outfit is definitely a very good movie imo. It's like a not-as-great mash-up of Charlie Varrick and Point Blank. Your review makes it sound like Badge 373. To everyone who hasn't seen this flick, I'd highly recommend it.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: May 24, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »

Yes, I'm not really sure what I think of Ex Machina. It may grow, it may sink on  a second viewing. And I'm not sure what it means to me.
I can tell you what it means to me. And I did, several pages ago.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: May 24, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »

I don't think it's fair to say the movie doesn't have any style, it's 70s rough, gritty, grimy filmmaking done right. While it's not the level of a Dirty Harry, Eddie Coyle or Charlie Varrick, The Outfit is definitely a very good movie imo. It's like a not-as-great mash-up of Charlie Varrick and Point Blank. Your review makes it sound like Badge 373. To everyone who hasn't seen this flick, I'd highly recommend it.
Yeah, I'm with T.H. on this. CJ was overly harsh.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: May 24, 2015, 06:49:43 PM »

Pather Panchali (1955) DCP - 10/10. Restoration: 11/10. The greatest film ever made (excepting those by Leone, Hitchcock, and Ozu), now looking better than at any time in the past. The moment when Apu throws the necklace in the pond--the algae parts, then begins closing the hole temporarily created--says everything there is to say about the film, filmmaking, even possibly life itself. Criterion will bring this and the trilogy to Blu-ray, rumor has it, in November.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15156 on: May 24, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »

Yeah, I'm with T.H. on this. CJ was overly harsh.

I don't think a 7/10 was harsh  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: May 24, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »

Pennies From Heaven (1981) Director: Herbert Ross stars: Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters, Jessica Harper, Christopher Walken, John Karlen. Lip synced musical/depression era homage.

Heads up d&d some great sets based on Hopper paintings, this alone for me gets it a 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15158 on: May 26, 2015, 08:15:20 AM »

Indecent Proposal (1993) - 5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: May 26, 2015, 10:50:06 AM »

Indecent Proposal (1993) - 5/10
Generous.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15160 on: May 26, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »

Happy Feet 5/10

I wanted to try another Miller movie that the guy's fanbase mentions all the time. Unfortunately, they often say Happy Feet 2 is the great one but Netflix only has the original opus. It didn't age very well I guess (first viewing) but it has interesting parts for many different reasons. The direction is gorgeous (and I mean it) from time to time, some dialogue scenes are Coen brothers good, some ideas were stolen by the Lego Movie about ten years afterward. Apart from that the plot is weird and baby penguins are cute.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:41:17 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15161 on: May 26, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »

Renaissance (2006) Sin City-ish ultra-high contrast, atmospheric, interesting but a bit dull, lacks pizzazz, still a 7/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15162 on: May 27, 2015, 12:41:06 AM »

Renaissance (2006) Sin City-ish ultra-high contrast, atmospheric, interesting but a bit dull, lacks pizzazz, still a 7/10

I don't really remember the movie but the visuals of a steampunk-yet-classy Paris were striking.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:47:45 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15163 on: May 27, 2015, 05:21:32 AM »

I don't really remember the movie but the visuals of a steampunk-yet-classy Paris was striking.

That's the problem its unmemorable as a whole.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15164 on: May 27, 2015, 05:49:25 AM »

That's the problem its unmemorable as a whole.

I seem to remember the 3 topics that were largely discussed in France when it was released:
- it's beautiful
- it's boring
- the technology is innovative (from what I remember, a mix of 2D and 3D animation)

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM