Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:24:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768161 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15180 on: June 05, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »

Jacky Brown 8/10
I liked it a lot better than the first 4-5 times or so. I always thought it was the deepest QT movie. Now I see that it could easily have been a 9/10 had it been directed by a more professional filmmaker - say, the Tony Scott of True Romance.

Get Low 3/10
Bill Murray obviously has fun with a character that's a bit different from what he's been playing for decades. That being said, who the hell green-lighted that movie without adding "but keep it under 15 minutes" to the contract? That's a short movie plot extended to 90 painful minutes of The Young and the Restless with no more than 10 jokes. Even Robert Duvall (who's carrying a winchester most of the time) has trouble keeping you awake. It could have been an incredible short movie though.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:18:14 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15181 on: June 05, 2015, 08:57:16 PM »

Blu-rays from the UK:
Germany, Pale Mother (1980) 1080p - 9/10. Kind of like Fassbinder's The Marriage of Maria Braun, but not as silly. What takes the curse off is, undoubtedly, the fact that the events come from the actual lives of the filmmaker's parents. There are details here that Helma Sanders-Brahms witnessed in real life. Also, the director, in voice-over, at times directly addresses the actors playing her mother and father. The actors are oblivious to these remarks, of course, but the effect is one of greater intimacy. The director also uses a couple child actors to play herself, one of whom is her own daughter. The film was made on a budget, so we don't get any crowd scenes, or even much in the way of exteriors. As an additional cost saver, the director has incorporated file footage from the war into the production. This is jarring at first, but then becomes the accepted approach to how the film was made. Finally, after the mother (Eva Mattes) tells a Grimm fairy tale to her daughter to take her mind off their predicament (which is just as bad as the fairy tale), we are shown an aerial view of Berlin as it looked at the end of the war--devastatingly effective. Wenders' usual composer, Jürgen Knieper, did the score.

Isadora (1968) 1080p - 6/10. A bio-pic of Isadora Duncan, with Vanessa Redgrave very good in the title role. The writer of the screenplay has said that the goal was to make an epic, and that Isadora was intended as a female counterpart of Lawrence of Arabia. Hmm, okay, but she isn't anywhere near as interesting. A flashback structure contrasts her early life, when she had a certain impertinent charm, with her older, tiresomely petulant self in the year of her death, 1927. The film goes on too long--the interlude in the Soviet Union should have been cut and obliquely referred to. Isadora's death is not staged well, and the film's ending is actually risible.

The Duke of Burgundy (2014) 1080p - Huh? An attempt, apparently, to make an art-house version of a Jess Franco early 70s soft core erotic film. Not sure why, exactly. The photography is amazing, however.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:59:21 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15182 on: June 06, 2015, 05:24:54 AM »

Jacky Brown 8/10
I liked it a lot better than the first 4-5 times or so. I always thought it was the deepest QT movie. Now I see that it could easily have been a 9/10 had it been directed by a more professional filmmaker - say, the Tony Scott of True Romance.

Jokester ...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15183 on: June 06, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »

Jokester ...

That' not the post I wanted you to answer to. Have you seen The Killing?

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15184 on: June 06, 2015, 08:22:57 AM »

That' not the post I wanted you to answer to. Have you seen The Killing?
Unfortunately not. I'm not even sure if it was released here so far.

Have you seen the Danish original?

Last series I watched was Hatufim, the Israelite one on which Homeland was based. Interestingly Homeland is far from being a remake, it uses only some basic ideas and one or another smaller story part, but the central characters and the central plot are very different. The first season of Hatufim is concentrated on the homecoming prisoners of war who have a lot of trouble after 17 years to find a way to live in a changed environment, the second season is then more a thriller and less a study of a wounded society. Hatufim is pretty entertaining, but the ending (as often) is a bit too easy in solving the conflicts to smooth.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15185 on: June 06, 2015, 09:26:59 AM »

Unfortunately not. I'm not even sure if it was released here so far.

Have you seen the Danish original?

Last series I watched was Hatufim, the Israelite one on which Homeland was based. Interestingly Homeland is far from being a remake, it uses only some basic ideas and one or another smaller story part, but the central characters and the central plot are very different. The first season of Hatufim is concentrated on the homecoming prisoners of war who have a lot of trouble after 17 years to find a way to live in a changed environment, the second season is then more a thriller and less a study of a wounded society. Hatufim is pretty entertaining, but the ending (as often) is a bit too easy in solving the conflicts to smooth.

No I have only watched the American one (out of interest for the lead actor, at first, because he's gonna play in the second feature of a filmmaker I know).

I didn't know Homeland was based on anything. Which one do you like better?

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15186 on: June 07, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »

The Hunt (2012) - 9/10
Vinterberg movie. Absolutely fucking phenomenal. It's an obvious masterpiece, only not a 10/10 because it's far too depressing and harrowing for me to ever watch again. anyone see it?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15187 on: June 09, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »

The Limey (1999) - 8/10
Inventive editing, a sorta-non-cop-out ending, and a lot of excellent performances.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15188 on: June 11, 2015, 05:28:30 AM »

The Limey (1999) - 8/10
Inventive editing, a sorta-non-cop-out ending, and a lot of excellent performances.

Hellyeah, I'm desperate for a re-watch of this little gem! Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15189 on: June 11, 2015, 05:58:41 AM »

Hellyeah, I'm desperate for a re-watch of this little gem! Afro

Yep! I'm not sure whether I've seen it once or twice, but that's probably Soderbergh's best work. Imagine how cool it would have been if Michael Caine had played the part (as he was supposed to at some point).

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15190 on: June 11, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »

Imagine how cool it would have been if Michael Caine had played the part (as he was supposed to at some point).

I'd rather not. Stamp was perfect in the role. Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15191 on: June 11, 2015, 01:16:34 PM »

The Hunt (2012) - 9/10
Vinterberg movie. Absolutely fucking phenomenal. It's an obvious masterpiece, only not a 10/10 because it's far too depressing and harrowing for me to ever watch again. anyone see it?
I've been avoiding this one for the very reason in bold. If it's too much to watch a second time, I probably won't be able to get through the first one. I have no doubt of it's quality, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15192 on: June 11, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »

I've been avoiding this one for the very reason in bold. If it's too much to watch a second time, I probably won't be able to get through the first one. I have no doubt of it's quality, though.
Eh whatever. Watch it anyways. the best movie i've seen in a long time.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #15193 on: June 13, 2015, 02:55:27 AM »

The Hunt (2012) - 9/10
I remember giving it an 8/10. Basically I recognize it's as well made as they get but I was somewhat lacking a personal connection to the story. Also the script (which has become the go-to reference in terms of script writing) feels almost too good, too well structured to feel authentic or alive but that's a minor complaint.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15194 on: June 13, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

Leningrad Cowboys Go America 6/10

The film is some kind of cheap garbage full of amazingly great imagery.
+1 for personal reasons (I discovered the band when watching the DVD of their concert with the Red Army Choir shot by Aki Kaurismäki when I was studying in a great bar in Ottawa)

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM