Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:08:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766924 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15255 on: August 15, 2015, 06:29:53 AM »

I will! Thanks for the tip.  Afro

You're adorable.  Kiss
(not as much as DJ though)

I ignore this last sentence, even if there is a terrible truth behind it, but I will make a little more advertising for Stray Bullets instead.

I'm just re-reading the complete stuff. And it is really amazing what Lapham does in creating complex characters, which are realistic and compelling, and not boring for a second. And his storytelling abilities are ... hmm my limited English is not good enough to give him the due credit for that.

Every SB chapter is self contained short story, which mostly but not always builds up on the previous stories, and all together are part of of a mosaic which then will build a great picture. There is violence, there is humour, there is love, there is frustration, there is sex (of course), there is ... uhh everything.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15256 on: August 15, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »

Two Supernatural Westerns

Ravenous (1999) watchable pre Civil War Western about a cannibal haunting the Sierra Nevada, gets a bit ridiculous at times 6.5/10

Dead In Tombstone (2013) Danny Trejo comes back from the dead courtesy of the Devil (Mickey Rourke) to dispense vengeance upon the gang who murdered him. Lots of Spaghetti Western cliches done badly but still watchable 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #15257 on: August 16, 2015, 07:57:31 AM »

Sweetwater.  January Jones as a redhead, naked.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15258 on: August 16, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »

Sweetwater.  January Jones as a redhead, naked.

rating?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15259 on: August 16, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »

rating?

naked/10 = recommended

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15260 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »

Robocop - Paul Verhoeven, 1987

Pffft, surprisingly badly directed trash which is pretty boring. 2/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15261 on: August 18, 2015, 12:55:41 AM »

PlayTime (1967) - 10/10. Free streaming (with adverts) for 6 more days: http://www.hulu.com/watch/215905?playlist_id=3545&asset_scope=movies

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #15262 on: August 18, 2015, 01:09:16 AM »

Robocop - Paul Verhoeven, 1987

Pffft, surprisingly badly directed trash which is pretty boring. 2/10

Nothing worthwhile to add?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15263 on: August 18, 2015, 01:20:52 AM »

He is the Christ.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15264 on: August 18, 2015, 02:45:08 AM »

Nothing worthwhile to add?

Not much. Unfortunately, as I like the film's premise.

I liked the splatter attitude of the extreme violence, but the directing of the action scenes was mostly forgettable. I also liked the old fashioned looking stop motion things, as long as I take at them as a Harryhausen homage.

Most characters were super boring and very badly written, and the acting was also below average. The intended humour worked rarely, but there was some unintended humour.

The only good scene was the miscarried presentation of the robot. Apart from that it was really a total bore.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:42:59 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15265 on: August 18, 2015, 03:19:34 AM »

I've never seen the whole thing but I have to say that despite the cult following of this movie, from what I've seen, I'm already with Mr Stanton on this.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15266 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »

I'm not surprised. It's a very funny movie, but you have to have a sense of humor to enjoy it. I'm sure you'd much rather watch a Jerry Lewis movie.

Stanton is right that the standout scene is the one in the boardroom with the demo that goes wrong, but there are other good bits. I've always liked the moment when Dick Jones confronts Bob Morton in the executive washroom. It builds nicely and the dialog is a riot. When he gets to, "But there was always respect," I always bust a gut laughing.

Kurtwood Smith (as Clarence J. Boddicker)--this is his finest moment. Has he ever given a better line reading than "Bitches leave"? And when he tries to pick up Dick Jones' secretary (played by Smith's real-life wife) he's hilariously slimy. But maybe the best thing is the exchange between Boddicker and Jones, which, it turns out, is actually a negotiation. All the while Clarence is needling Jones, calling him "Dick," but as soon as he gets what he wants, it's "Richard."

The Harryhausen stuff is not only a homage, it's also a clever spoof. The pay-off is when we see the stop-motion dinosaur being used in a car ad (also, when the robot falls down the stairs and can't get up and makes animal noises).

The plotting isn't bad. I particularly enjoy the ending when Dick Jones has to get fired before he can be killed. In a film with a very strong anti-corporate message that was a nice touch.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15267 on: August 18, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »

Yep, it is sometimes funny, but sometimes it is only intended to be funny, but isn't. There is a satirical tenor in it, but it can't overcome the general primitivity. Ok there are 2 or 3 more nice (but short) scenes or better moments, not enough to save an overall pretty dull film.

And the action is mostly simple shot - counter shot stuff. Unimaginative.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15268 on: August 18, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »

And the action is mostly simple shot - counter shot stuff. Unimaginative.

And aging. Fast.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15269 on: August 19, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation 6/10
Quite as fun (in a less irreverent but maybe more effective way) as the previous one, still not very well directed and most serious dialogues are laughable (where is the talented guy who wrote The Usual Suspects?). The plot could have been interesting but they made it dull. It still kind of work.

My favorite installment of the series is still the 3rd one: best bad guy, best opening scene (may be best opening scene ever in this kind of action film), best director. I used to like M:I2 at the time (I was young and innocent) but the last time I tried it I couldn't even finish it. I've never been a fan of the first film although the noirish atmosphere should have been enough to earn my vote.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM