Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:36:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843918 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15330 on: September 26, 2015, 08:34:35 AM »

Black Mass (2015) - 7/10
This year's very well-made yet likely forgettable gangster movie. Depp is terrific as Bulger, and director Scott Cooper (who finally made a good movie) shows a lot of restraint in his style in terms of holding back from super 70's period piece Scorsese rip-off mumbo jumbo. It's a well-paced and subtle drama with some bursts of action. Worth seeing but probably not worth going back to.
What he said, except I didn't like it as much.

There are a lot of good scenes in the film, but everything has been done before (there's even an obvious rip-off of the "Why am I funny?" routine from Goodfellas), and nothing new gets shown. Bulger isn't given much personality, and at the end of the picture we know no more about who he is than when we started. Connelly, the FBI agent who got into bed with Bulger--no, not literally, gay-subtexters--has a lot of scenes, but not once does he appear conflicted about what he's doing. He just spends every scene justifying his relationship with Bulger, which gets really old. The hits just keep on coming, but we don't always understand why, and nothing is done to make them stylish or interesting. I guess you could argue that these people weren't very interesting and so showing them as such is true to life, but it doesn't make for great cinema. If this had been the first modern gangster picture made it would be something, but for a 2015 flick it isn't offering anything new.

Afterwards I went home and started watching Jinx, which is really true crime with an edge. Robert Durst, now there's a creepy guy.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15331 on: September 26, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »

I saw BLACK MASS Thursday night.  I was also disappointed. Yeah DJ, no doubt that scene was a ripoff of the Pesci scene, I was tempted to jump up and scream, "Like a clown, do I amuse you?!"

I don't think the framing device with the rats was a good choice. Or maybe this is just not a good filmmaker and he couldn't do it well no matter how he did it. I don't know. I just know that I was disappointed.  Maybe I could give it a 7/10, decent, but I was hoping for something better. The phone exaggerated Boston accents were annoying.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15332 on: September 27, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »

Yeah I agree with all those points too. Its been a few days and like I thought would happen, I barely remember anything significant about the movie.

Anyone see Everest? worth it?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15333 on: September 27, 2015, 05:19:11 PM »

Side by Side (2012) - 8/10
As a talking head documentary, it's nothing special stylistically - but I don't think it should be. Very informative documentary on the specifics of digital vs. celluloid through the perspective of some of the most well-recognized directors and DPs alive: Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher, Linklater, Von Trier, Deakins, Zsigmond, and more. The effects of digital and film are discussed through all relevant aspects of filmmaking: acting, directing, editing, VFX, color, and of course cinematography. And the interviews are conducted by Keanu Reeves - why? I don't know, but whatever.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15334 on: September 28, 2015, 12:37:43 AM »

Still pretty entertaining. I guess I now agree with noodles_leone that part one is better than part two; part 2 becomes just a series of episodes, with Mesrine becoming more megalomaniacal and less interesting. It goes on a bit. Part 1 has this arc that pays off with Mesrine's adventures in North America that's pretty cool. After breaking out of a Canadian maximum security prison, Mesrine and his buddy go back, armed to the teeth, and try to break some more guys out. They have a firefight with the guys in the guard towers. Talk about bad-ass!

I just saw part 1 again (my girlfriend had never seen it), I really liked it. We don't do many genre movies here that are on par with good American ones. I had forgotten how many good actors were in it. on the other hand, Cecile DeFrance has rarely been that bad.
The Arizona sequence was definitely shot in Utah.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15335 on: September 28, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »

The Jinx (2015) 1080p - 11/10. True crime doesn't get any better than this. Robert Durst, a multi-millionaire who has committed 3 murders and remains at liberty, is the subject of this 6-part HBO series. As the filmmakers assemble pieces of the project--including interviews with Durst himself--they make an amazing discovery. This is an engrossing documentary in which observers gradually become participants. And it's all true.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15336 on: September 28, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »

The Jinx (2015) 1080p - 11/10. True crime doesn't get any better than this. Robert Durst, a multi-millionaire who has committed 3 murders and remains at liberty, is the subject of this 6-part HBO series. As the filmmakers assemble pieces of the project--including interviews with Durst himself--they make an amazing discovery. This is an engrossing documentary in which observers gradually become participants. And it's all true.
yes

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15337 on: September 29, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) - 1080p - 7/10. Based on a true story of a botched bank robbery, this film has great acting, locations, and authentic fluorescent lighting. I usually can't abide siege stories, but Lumet really pulls it off here. Maybe it goes on too long. It would be interesting to see what Soderbergh could do with a new cut (the scene with Sonny's mother, good as it is, should have been axed). The 40th Anniversary Blu-ray looks very good--great skin tones. A bonus DVD includes the recent tribute to the late John Cazale, I Knew It Was You.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15338 on: September 29, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »

Dog Day Afternoon  I Knew It Was You.
That's the dumbest documentary ever. 40 minutes of actors trying to sound really pompous while doing nothing but praise Cazale. No interesting insights. it's pointless.

Husbands and Wives (1992) - 7/10
Woody Allen makes a Woody Allen movie, except a little sadder and like a documentary with shaky camera and jump cuts.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:48:08 PM by PowerRR » Logged
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15339 on: September 29, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »

Land of Silence and Darkness (1971) - 6.5/10
Early Herzog documentary that lacks the more manipulative yet entertaining qualities of post-1985 or so docs. It starts off relatively interesting, examining a community of people who are both deaf and blind, but can still easily enough communicate from formerly being able to hear and see. The movie abruptly transitions to teens and early-twenty men who were born both deaf and blind, which is where the movie gets much more interesting and often uncomfortable. It's third act is somewhere in the middle: a deaf-blind man who has forgotten how to talk, and now lives happily in the land of silence and darkness. It has a Wiseman-esque objectivity and realism, but it's not often an intriguing piece.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15340 on: September 30, 2015, 04:53:44 AM »

Husbands and Wives (1992) - 7/10
Woody Allen makes a Woody Allen movie, except a little sadder and like a documentary with shaky camera and jump cuts.

Yep, and it's Allen's best film. 9/10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15341 on: September 30, 2015, 06:09:14 PM »

Yep, and it's Allen's best film. 9/10
I'd rank plenty ahead of it....Radio Days, Hannah and Her Sisters, Zelig, Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo, Another Woman... all definitely better. I'd have given Husbands and Wives a higher rating if I wasn't so sick of Allen's style. Even in 1992 it'd be getting redundant.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15342 on: October 01, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »

I'd rank plenty ahead of it....Radio Days, Hannah and Her Sisters, Zelig, Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo, Another Woman... all definitely better.

Not definitely for me. But there are several of his films which are almost similar good.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: October 01, 2015, 09:32:24 PM »

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) - 8/10
The Martian (2015) - 8/10

Both fun fun fun fun. Finally a great Ridley Scott movie. And as far as Kingsman, Matt Vaughn is a Hollywood action auteur.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15344 on: October 02, 2015, 07:34:52 AM »

Smokin' Aces (2006) - 7.5/10
Hey, that was good! You guys should have told me.
(I'm not talking to you, Titoli)

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM