Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 02:10:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761410 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15480 on: December 14, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »

Lured (1947) Director: Douglas Sirk Stars: George Sanders, Lucille Ball, Charles Coburn. Serial killers in London is murdering young women whom he meets through the personal columns of newspapers; he announces each of his murders to the police by sending them a cryptic poem. Ball looks great as a taxi dancer, an OK time waster. 6/10

I liked this one. I guess that for someone like you obsessed with locations and shadows, it won't be great, but I liked this. I give it a 7.5/10. George Sanders in his usual slimy greatness, Lucille Ball, Charles Coburn, Alan Mowbray, terrific stuff; and, of course, a magnificent Boris Karloff in basically just one insanely incredibly creepy awesome scene.

I saw this on TCM, but I noticed that someone just put the movie up on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXTR6oUdgiE
Karloff's scene occurs around the 24-minute mark.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:29:21 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15481 on: December 14, 2015, 09:23:06 PM »

Fargo: Season 2 - 10/10
The final episode is a tonal curve-ball for sure, but all it means is that I want to watch the entire series again, right now. There may or may not be some pretty huge loose ends at the end there, but regardless, this is proof that Breaking Bad isn't supreme king of television forever. This is just about perfect.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15482 on: December 17, 2015, 05:57:25 AM »

Star Wars: The Force Awakens 6.5/10
Pretty good. Some real Star Wars moments in it. But the marvelisation of blockbusters that could already be seen in JJ's two Star Trek movies is at work here too. Star Wars in now an action franchise, not an adventure flick, and it sucks. They destroy any kind of mystic (apart from a real nostalgia for the original trilogy), of real character developpement (or even iconisation), jump from an action scene to another, without even working the transitions or making the whole thing alive. Still entertaining and sometimes it really work.
As hinted at in the trailers, the cast is all wrong.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:00:23 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15483 on: December 17, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »

Star Wars: The Force Awakens 6.5/10
Pretty good. Some real Star Wars moments in it. But the marvelisation of blockbusters that could already be seen in JJ's two Star Trek movies is at work here too. Star Wars in now an action franchise, not an adventure flick, and it sucks. They destroy any kind of mystic (apart from a real nostalgia for the original trilogy), of real character developpement (or even iconisation), jump from an action scene to another, without even working the transitions or making the whole thing alive. Still entertaining and sometimes it really work.
As hinted at in the trailers, the cast is all wrong.

- I think I just read a spoiler somewhere. Fuck. I have tickets for 3:50pm Saturday.
- What would you rate JJ's Star Treks / 10?
- And the 6 other Star Wars?
- I've got a feeling I'll end up liking this a lot more than you. I really liked JJ's Star Treks, and even Phantom Menace I'd rate around a 6.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:54:33 PM by PowerRR » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15484 on: December 17, 2015, 05:19:32 PM »

- I think I just read a spoiler somewhere. Fuck. I have tickets for 3:50pm Saturday.
- What would you rate JJ's Star Treks / 10?
- And the 6 other Star Wars?
- I've got a feeling I'll end up liking this a lot more than you. I really liked JJ's Star Treks, and even Phantom Menace I'd rate around a 6.

You will like it more than me.

Star Wars Episode I: 2/10 - turd
Star Wars Episode II: 2/10 - turd
Star Wars Episode III: 3/10 - turd but just a tiny bit less turdy
Star Wars Episode IV: 8.5/10 - hard to rate, it's my childhood. But great adventure film despite its flaws
Star Wars Episode V: 8.5/10 - hard to rate, it's my childhood. But great adventure film despite its flaws
Star Wars Episode VI: 8/10 - just a tad under the other ones because of the weird structure

JJ's Star Trek 1: 4/10 - nothing really bad (except for the terrible cast and art direction) but it's not a film, it's a first act.
JJ's Star Trek 2: 5/10 - it's ok (except for the terrible cast and art direction) but they forgot that Star Trek was also about adventure, discovering a planet. You know. Star Trek. That's why it's a franchise. Because it's Star Trek. Not a turd.

I hate the marvelisation of blockbusters. Not every scene has to become an action scene. Not every character has to be superficial and overexplained. Not every question or mystery needs to be answered instantly. Not every dialogue scene is JUST ABOUT giving out informations. The old "start the scene late, end it early" Hollywood adage is now followed in a ridiculous way: we don't even have scenes anymore, we only have a "Now, we need to go point B" line and when we're lucky, a joke. Cut to: they're at point B.

Say what you want about Prometheus, it doesn't have a single of these flaws.

I like JJ.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:24:51 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15485 on: December 17, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »

Okay thats helpful. To be fair, Phantom Menace is maybe more like a 4.5. I pretty much agree with all your OT scores. I definitely like both Star Treks much more than you. Super 8, though, I thought was horrible. Agreed on Prometheus being quite over-criticized, if that's what you're getting at.

While I acknowledge The marvelisation of modern blockbusters you describe, I don't really see any of those points as negative. Just different, entertaining ways to craft a movie and tell a story. Thankfully, plenty of great films exist to break up that style, so I'm cool with it.

Slow West (2015) - 3/10
Shitty story, cheap photography, boring dialogue, shoddy editing, inconsistent style. Looks like a movie directed by a kid who paid attention in film class and learned some "cool shots" and "deep stuff" to make his crappy movie out of. The kind of movie some random idiot will see and post on IMDb saying, "Great film, if you don't like it then stick to something you get like Transformers 9". There's nothing to get here other than it sucks. Why was Fassbender in this? Bad annual minimalist 'art' western of the year. Thankfully it's like 79 minutes long.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:13:55 PM by PowerRR » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15486 on: December 19, 2015, 03:48:12 PM »

Io la conoscevo bene (1965) - 9/10. An amazing lead performance (Stefania Sandrelli's) in an amazing film (Antonio Pietrangeli's). Only the ending disappoints. The restoration seems flawless: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkGVdG8Ktk
Sitting down to watch I Knew Her Well at MoMA yesterday, I suddenly got the impression I'd seen the film somewhere before. Could I have channeled the movie in a dream? Or, after having had the picture described to me, perhaps, could I have then re-constructed it in my mind with uncanny faithfulness? Or is there really such a thing as deja vu? The experience was one of the most bizarre in recent memory. I'm still pondering the possibilities . . .

Looking forward to the Criterion blu, so I can do it all over again, again.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15487 on: December 19, 2015, 11:31:45 PM »

Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 4.5/10
Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 6/10
Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 7/10
Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope - 8/10
Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 8/10
Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 8/10
Star Wars - Episode VII: The Force Awakens - 8/10

Spent the past couple weeks watching / revisiting the whole saga. First time seeing episodes 1 and 2. Both sucked, but had their surprisingly decent moments.

Unfortunately the spoiler I heard for The Force Awakens was true, and the "big climactic scene" of the movie. I spent the whole movie waiting for it to happen. As my scores indicate, I thought overall it was just as good as the original trilogy - but nothing mind-blowing. Not quite sure what noodles is talking about with incomplete scenes and such... it more or less follows the same style and formula as the originals and it works. Nothing really too ballsy or inventive. The effects are spectacular, the action is nice, and I like the new cast. It's part reboot of IV and part sequel to VI. I have reason to believe episode VIII could be the best in the whole saga. With Rian Johnson writing and directing, and with the "intro/reboot" part out of the way, it has potential to be excellent. I really liked Force Awakens, but not quite as much as I expected / wanted to.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:33:55 PM by PowerRR » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15488 on: December 20, 2015, 01:46:34 AM »

SW was always too simple for my taste, story and directing.
Except when I was a child, then the first one was pretty good, though already not a favourite. Rewatching Ep 4 as an adult it was an often boring film. All SW flics are somewhere between 4 and 6 /10 on the entertainometer.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15489 on: December 20, 2015, 02:09:24 AM »

You cannot objectively put the original trilogy and the prequels in the same 2 points braquet! (That was for both Stanton and RR)

Stanton: the directing of episode VII is much better than everything Lucas was involved in.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:12:12 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15490 on: December 20, 2015, 02:23:50 AM »

You cannot objectively put the original trilogy and the prequels in the same 2 points braquet!

Why not?
Actually I had no big problems with the prequel trilogy, it was for me not different than the old ones. Same weaknesses, similar entertainment value. The ending of Ep 3 was disappointing though

And to avoid misunderstanding, what I called the first one is now Ep 4. (A New Grope)

Stanton: the directing of episode VII is much better than everything Lucas was involved in.

That's not necessarily a great step forward. Wink  But actually I will maybe watch Ep 7. The trailer looks good, and I like the girl, she looks like she has a cinematic secret.

What's about Ep 5, of which all say that it is so much better then the rest.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15491 on: December 20, 2015, 02:36:54 AM »

Dheepan - Jaques Audiard

A "realistic" portrait of a refugee family from Sri Lanka, which actually only pretends to be a real family, which tries to find a new life in France. But the suburbs where they are supposed to live is just another war zone. The eruptive violent end is as surprising as it is unsettling. Strange film, and I'm not sure what it was, but I couldn't find access to its characters nor to the film's style. A cautious 6/10 for now.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:38:26 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15492 on: December 20, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »

Dheepan - Jaques Audiard

A "realistic" portrait of a refugee family from Sri Lanka, which actually only pretends to be a real family, which tries to find a new life in France. But the suburbs where they are supposed to live is just another war zone. The eruptive violent end is as surprising as it is unsettling. Strange film, and I'm not sure what it was, but I couldn't find access to its characters nor to the film's style. A cautious 6/10 for now.

Best French director of the past 20 years. Weirdly enough, he didn't do the best French films of the last 20 years.

Weird Palme d'or, isn't it?

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15493 on: December 20, 2015, 06:32:51 PM »

Why not?
Actually I had no big problems with the prequel trilogy, it was for me not different than the old ones. Same weaknesses, similar entertainment value. The ending of Ep 3 was disappointing though

And to avoid misunderstanding, what I called the first one is now Ep 4. (A New Grope)

That's not necessarily a great step forward. Wink  But actually I will maybe watch Ep 7. The trailer looks good, and I like the girl, she looks like she has a cinematic secret.

What's about Ep 5, of which all say that it is so much better then the rest.

There pretty much nothing to save in the prequels. Remove "Star Wars" from the title, nobody would have ever thought about actually watch these pieces of sh*t. To me they're really a catalog of everything you shouldn't do in a film. Very few possible mistakes are avoided.

Episode 5 is as good as episode IV to me. Lots of movie goers tend to like popular films with a dark twist (episode V over IV, Temple of Doom over Raiders, Terminator over The Final Judgement...), I guess it's just a matter of taste. Episode V also gets the most famous twist in history so it helps too.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15494 on: December 20, 2015, 07:01:33 PM »

Obsession / The Hidden Room (1949) - 7/10. A kind of Anglo-noir, but directed by Edward Dmytryk. A London doctor (Robert Newton) devises an elaborate scheme to kill his wife's American lover. Naugton Wayne, as a Scotland Yard Superintendent, arrives to put a spanner in the works. Available for free for a limited time with annoying commercials here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/215899

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM