Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843001 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15495 on: December 21, 2015, 01:43:34 AM »

Best French director of the past 20 years. Weirdly enough, he didn't do the best French films of the last 20 years.

Weird Palme d'or, isn't it?

At least surprising.

Which are, apart from Irreversible and the OSS 117 films, the best French films of the last 20 years?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15496 on: December 21, 2015, 01:47:02 AM »

Episode V also gets the most famous twist in history

In the history of the SW films maybe. (I assume it is the father thingy)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15497 on: December 21, 2015, 04:43:43 AM »

In the history of the SW films maybe. (I assume it is the father thingy)

Yes the father thing. Which twist would be more famous to you? The top contenders to me (although they're all clearly in another league and cannot really compete with the SW one): who's keyser soze (usual suspects), the ghost thing (the 6th sense), rosebud (I don't remember the movie), Tyler Durden (fight Club) and may be "what's in the box?" (Seven).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15498 on: December 21, 2015, 05:14:55 AM »

City Heat (1984) What a mess, I fell asleep, I'll give it another go before I send it back in it's netflix envelope.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15499 on: December 21, 2015, 05:33:57 AM »

Yes the father thing. Which twist would be more famous to you? The top contenders to me (although they're all clearly in another league and cannot really compete with the SW one): who's keyser soze (usual suspects), the ghost thing (the 6th sense), rosebud (I don't remember the movie), Tyler Durden (fight Club) and may be "what's in the box?" (Seven).

They are all better, except The Usual Suspects. That one was so obvious and so idiotic that it destroyed a big chunk of the film's quality. When I watched TUS first I was half of the film saying to myself everybody but not him, everybody else, even the pope, but not him, but of course, bang ... it was with a vomittingly guaranty him. That was so cheap.

Wasn't that also obvious in SWs from a certain point on?

But there are surely more great and famous twists in film history, like in Psycho or in High Noon (the train is on time, god almighty, that was a real shock)

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15500 on: December 21, 2015, 07:24:40 AM »

Yes the father thing.

Granted I saw it as a kid and it gobsmacked me, but that one is still huge.

... or in High Noon (the train is on time, god almighty, that was a real shock)

Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15501 on: December 21, 2015, 10:12:30 AM »

They are all better, except The Usual Suspects. That one was so obvious and so idiotic that it destroyed a big chunk of the film's quality. When I watched TUS first I was half of the film saying to myself everybody but not him, everybody else, even the pope, but not him, but of course, bang ... it was with a vomittingly guaranty him. That was so cheap.
And it all had to be covered with lying flashbacks. And, as you point out, the lying flashbacks didn't even work to hide the obvious. One of the worst films ever.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15502 on: December 21, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »

And it all had to be covered with lying flashbacks. And, as you point out, the lying flashbacks didn't even work to hide the obvious. One of the worst films ever.

It didn't work out for both of you, too bad for you, but it worked for many people, inclouding me. I may be stupid, but at least I'm a happy one!  Cheesy
Anyway, great film. Great direction. Great casting. Great dialogues. Perfect atmosphere. Saying "one of the worst films ever" just because you don't like the way they use flashbacks is very, very Drinkanddestroyian. The fact that you missed the gay subtext is also quite disappointing.

Wasn't that also obvious in SWs from a certain point on?

Yes they're all better, and also considerably less famous (which is my point).

But there are surely more great and famous twists in film history, like in Psycho or in High Noon (the train is on time, god almighty, that was a real shock)

Grin

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:18:49 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15503 on: December 21, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »

At least surprising.

Which are, apart from Irreversible and the OSS 117 films, the best French films of the last 20 years?

#1 by far:
Family Resemblances (needs to be watched at least 3 times to begin to understand how absolutely perfect it is. It's not the kind of film you can love on first sight)

No particular order (and I'm probably forgetting a few ones):
The Beat That My Heart Skipped (Jacques Audiard too)
Amélie
The Fifth Element
The Taste of Others
L'Auberge Espagnole (the second one is boring, the 3rd one is highly flawed but quite touching)
La Haine
Le Dîner de Cons ("Dinner of Fools", but don't waste your time with the terrible US remake
La Vérité si je Mens 2

I still highly encourage you to check out all of Jacques Audiard's filmography. Even his worst ones are at least really interesting.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:34:29 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15504 on: December 21, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »

It didn't work out for both of you, too bad for you, but it worked for many people, including me. I may be stupid, but at least I'm a happy one!  Cheesy

It did really work? Now you surprise me ... Wink

I think if someone has seen about 10 thrillers, of which 9,8 want to surprise us with a "surprise" ending, the only possible solution is Spacey, cause there is the usual simple question what function does he have in the film? Especially in a film which obviously carries a secret with it. And as every Agatha Christie reader surely knows, the only one who is not suspected to be the murderer, is always the murderer.
for me it was after a short while to 80% sure that it was Spacey, and after two thirds to 99% sure, and it was then also sure that when the film would reveal this at the end, and not way before the end like Hitchcock did it in most of his films, that this would kill the film for me.

Actually it is still a good film, and there was plenty to enjoy when I re-watched it once, but this Keyser Soze thing is so strong, that the disappointing solution bewares the film from being a great film. Of course they had to find something amazing for such an exciting mystery, and great means something I'm not able to conceive myself, otherwise it is tricky to satisfy me. But it is always easier to create secrets than to come with them to a satisfying end.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15505 on: December 21, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »

It did really work? Now you surprise me ... Wink

I think if someone has seen about 10 thrillers, of which 9,8 want to surprise us with a "surprise" ending, the only possible solution is Spacey, cause there is the usual simple question what function does he have in the film? Especially in a film which obviously carries a secret with it. And as every Agatha Christie reader surely knows, the only one who is not suspected to be the murderer, is always the murderer.
for me it was after a short while to 80% sure that it was Spacey, and after two thirds to 99% sure, and it was then also sure that when the film would reveal this at the end, and not way before the end like Hitchcock did it in most of his films, that this would kill the film for me.

Actually it is still a good film, and there was plenty to enjoy when I re-watched it once, but this Keyser Soze thing is so strong, that the disappointing solution bewares the film from being a great film. Of course they had to find something amazing for such an exciting mystery, and great means something I'm not able to conceive myself, otherwise it is tricky to satisfy me. But it is always easier to create secrets than to come with them to a satisfying end.

I understand your point, my attack was aimed at poor DJ Wink

I first saw it when I was something like 15, and had never heard of it, so I wasn't expecting a twist ending. It helped.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15506 on: December 21, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

#1 by far:
Family Resemblances (needs to be watched at least 3 times to begin to understand how absolutely perfect it is. It's not the kind of film you can love on first sight)

No particular order (and I'm probably forgetting a few ones):
The Beat That My Heart Skipped (Jacques Audiard too)
Amélie
The Fifth Element
The Taste of Others
L'Auberge Espagnole (the second one is boring, the 3rd one is highly flawed but quite touching)
La Haine
Le Dîner de Cons ("Dinner of Fools", but don't waste your time with the terrible US remake
La Vérité si je Mens 2

I still highly encourage you to check out all of Jacques Audiard's filmography. Even his worst ones are at least really interesting.

With only 8 films there shouldn't be too many worse ones, otherwise the French film is a total catastrophe in regard of him being the best. I still haven't seen his 4 early ones, they did not get much recognition here in Germany, and Audiard did also not get much recognition either before The Beat That My Heart Skipped.
Audiard is definitely very interesting and daring.

The 5th Element and La Haine are good, but not great for me. I enjoy them as I enjoy L'Auberge Espagnole. The Taste of Others is one of which I'm surprised that I haven't watched it yet, but the others, all comedies, are pretty unknown here in Germany, also the other one by Klapisch, the best, which you had recommended already to me in the past, but it seems I did not try to get it since then. I think I had asked you about the best French films not for the first time.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15507 on: December 21, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »

With only 8 films there shouldn't be too many worse ones, otherwise the French film is a total catastrophe in regard of him being the best. I still haven't seen his 4 early ones, they did not get much recognition here in Germany, and Audiard did also not get much recognition either before The Beat That My Heart Skipped.
Audiard is definitely very interesting and daring.

The 5th Element and La Haine are good, but not great for me. I enjoy them as I enjoy L'Auberge Espagnole. The Taste of Others is one of which I'm surprised that I haven't watched it yet, but the others, all comedies, are pretty unknown here in Germany, also the other one by Klapisch, the best, which you had recommended already to me in the past, but it seems I did not try to get it since then. I think I had asked you about the best French films not for the first time.

Most of the films on this list aren't great. As you know I don't love French films.

I don't think it's worth you ever check out "La Vérité si je Mens 2" since it's all about the way they speak French. The other ones you don't know should be ok.

I'm actually surprised you've finally asked me about my favorite French films since you already said my opinions about French films were shitty  Tongue

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:16:11 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15508 on: December 21, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »

positively drinkanddestroyian   Evil

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15509 on: December 21, 2015, 07:54:20 PM »

Dj and I are at Film Forum to see Hungarian movie SON OF SAUL. Wevhad margueritas  at Chipotle ( with free E.Coli!) Report to follow  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM