Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 12:37:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830514 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15525 on: January 01, 2016, 05:45:43 PM »

The Big Short - 7/10
Ant-Man - 6/10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15526 on: January 02, 2016, 02:10:17 AM »

Rush - Ron Howard

Well, a story which is based on facts, but is the opposite of the truth (according to St. Wiki), and Ron Howard, the master of mediocrity. 3/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15527 on: January 02, 2016, 06:27:06 AM »

and Ron Howard, the master of mediocrity.

He's doing the voice over in Arrested Development so he's better than you think.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: January 02, 2016, 06:46:05 AM »

He's doing the voice over in Arrested Development so he's better than you think.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrested_Development_%28Band%29

They need a voice over?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15529 on: January 02, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »

Grin

The other ones. The good ones.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: January 02, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »

Rush - Ron Howard

Well, a story which is based on facts, but is the opposite of the truth (according to St. Wiki), and Ron Howard, the master of mediocrity. 3/10
No consideration for Olivia Wilde? Olivia Wilde!!!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: January 02, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »

Brooklyn (2015) 3/10

Irish girl immigrates to Brooklyn in the early 1950's, misses her family in Ireland, but then meets a guido from Jersey Shore (actually Brooklyn, but who cares) falls in love with him, then

---
SPOILER ALERT FOR ANY OF YOU IDIOTS WHO WANT TO WATCH THIS MOVIE

SHE gets called back to Ireland when her sister dies and she has to go to funeral; then while in Ireland, she meets an Irish guy ... now she has to choose between her new life with the greaseball in Brooklyn or her old life with her Irish family and Irish boy.

END OF SPOILERS, IDIOTS

---

There's this scene, where, in preparation for meeting her boyfriend's Italian family, the girl takes "lessons" from her friends in how to eat spaghetti. In both that scene and in the later scene in which she actually has dinner with the family, everyone is eating spaghetti with both fork and spoon. Thank God I wasn't watching this movie with dj, or he'da been gloating about how he is right about the proper way to eat spaghetti. Well, I still say that's BS. Spaghetti should be eaten with a fork and nothing else. If you're too much of a slob to hold it together with just a fork, then you don't deserve to eat it ...

so, how was my New Years Eve? Last year, I had drinks with dj, then watched a great movie about Americans in Iraq (American Sniper) and then fucked an Irish girl. This year, I spent all day working, then watched a shitty movie about Irish girls in Brooklyn, then had a few kisses with a girl from Jersey. In other words, the times they are degenerating .... Happy 2016  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: January 03, 2016, 05:32:35 AM »

No consideration for Olivia Wilde? Olivia Wilde!!!

Unfortunately not.

She was totally wasted in a role the film did not really need. Actually all women roles were pretty underdeveloped and/or superfluous.

La Lara had a bigger but worse role.

Oh, and Rush was probably highly influenced by GBU. Otherwise I have no reasonable explanation for the massive yellowisation of the images.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15533 on: January 03, 2016, 06:49:18 AM »

Macbeth (2015)
- 7.5/10
Aside from Slow West, I think I could watch Fassbender eat soup for 3 hours and still be entertained. This is no Throne of Blood, but it's at least tied with if not better than Welles' Macbeth. Speaking of try-hards, this is a hardcore Shakespeare adaptation. There's no punches pulled, the dialogue more or less read straight from the play. The visuals are gorgeous, the editing is some of the year's best and most inventive, and performances from both Cotillard and Fassbender are pretty much career-topping up to this point. I'll never watch it again. But, absolutely worth the viewing if you're prepared for some heavy shit. On the better half of films this year.

Seen it yesterday. I second most of this. That's probably a 6.5/10 in my book.

Not crazy about the editing, especially not the heavy use of super slow-motion that sometimes felt like a "Twixtor + Canon 5D Mark III" video on vimeo more that actual cinema. The visuals are gorgeous (they're actually the reason why I bothered with the movie) but the film wouldn't have been hurt if it had featured more real-time scenes instead of using mainly Malick-like narration. Some of the scenes that actually are told almost in real time would have been helped by a true decoupage instead of just designing a couple "perfect paintings" linked together by handled close ups.

I'll never watch it again but I'll keep the visuals in me for some time.

PS: happy birthday Sergio!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:51:40 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15534 on: January 03, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »

Took advantage of the long weekend to binge-watch theatrical releases.

The Big Short - 8/10 - Dramedy about financial experts and investors predicting the housing crisis, then profiting off of it. I found the direction a bit annoying with its bizarre animations and segues to random celebrity cameos. The story was very well-done though and it was much funnier than I'd expected. Carrell and Gosling were the standouts, Bale was one-note and Pitt's role a glorified cameo. I credit the filmmakers for making a really dense topic not only understandable, but entertaining.

The Hateful Eight - 5/10 - I'll give QT this: it was cool seeing a movie that's not Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm with Overture and Intermission. Unfortunately, the film's more of the same onanistic nonsense Tarantino's been making since at least Kill Bill. Lots of talk and ridiculous violence that builds nowhere. Which wouldn't be so bad if Tarantino didn't suddenly think he had to expound on "deep" themes of post-Civil War reconciliation and race relations. I'll post my full review in the appropriate thread.

Concussion - 7/10 - Will Smith plays a pathologist who exposes football's traumatic effects on the brain. Pretty straightforward: borrows a lot of beats from whistleblower thrillers like The Insider and The China Syndrome, the supporting cast is broadly played and the plot arc predictable (though being based on a true story, they didn't have much choice). Still, the basic story works fine, and Will Smith does excellent work. As a Pittsburgher it was cool that some scenes were filmed just a few yards from the theater I saw it, and that Albert Brooks played Cyril Wecht.

Joy - 6.5/10 - More David O. Russell wackiness replayed to diminishing returns. Loosely based on Joy Mangano, inventor of the Miracle Mop, which is presumably why the trailers explain as little as possible. Russell doesn't seem as invested in his characters as usual, leaving the supporting cast (save Bradley Cooper, given ten electrifying minutes of screen time) as shrieking, unfunny caricatures. Fortunately, Jennifer Lawrence delivers. Whether arguing with her family, presenting her mop on television or intimidating a Texas businessman into submission, she's absolutely compelling. That she's a decade too young for her character didn't even enter my mind.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:31:19 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: January 03, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »

Anomalisa (2015) - 6/10
It was 'aiiight. One of those 95+% Rotten Tomatoes critic band wagoner movies though. Not Kaufman's most inventive or even personal work. Interesting to hear his dialogue in a more low key plot though.

Knight of Cups (2015) - 7/10
Malick's newest hated movie. Bale plays a screenwriter taken over by the excess of the sex and alcohol of Hollywood parties. The editing and camerawork is extra-fragmented this time around, even more so than To the Wonder. But I feel this is a slightly better film. It's probably 20-30 minutes too long for what it is, but for whatever reason Malick's work always entertains me. This is his most experimental movie yet, without question ...so beware. I liked this more than I expected, but I still hope that his next 2 lined up movies will take on a more traditional pre-Tree of Life style (although I feel that Tree of Life is his masterpiece).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: January 03, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »

Took advantage of the long weekend to binge-watch theatrical releases.

The Big Short - 8/10 - Dramedy about financial experts and investors predicting the housing crisis, then profiting off of it. I found the direction a bit annoying with its bizarre animations and segues to random celebrity cameos. The story was very well-done though and it was much funnier than I'd expected. Carrell and Gosling were the standouts, Bale was one-note and Pitt's role a glorified cameo. I credit the filmmakers for making a really dense topic not only understandable, but entertaining.

The Hateful Eight - 5/10 - I'll give QT this: it was cool seeing a movie that's not Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm with Overture and Intermission. Unfortunately, the film's more of the same onanistic nonsense Tarantino's been making since at least Kill Bill. Lots of talk and ridiculous violence that builds nowhere. Which wouldn't be so bad if Tarantino didn't suddenly think he had to expound on "deep" themes of post-Civil War reconciliation and race relations. I'll post my full review in the appropriate thread.

Concussion - 7/10 - Will Smith plays a pathologist who exposes football's traumatic effects on the brain. Pretty straightforward: borrows a lot of beats from whistleblower thrillers like The Insider and The China Syndrome, the supporting cast is broadly played and the plot arc predictable (though being based on a true story, they didn't have much choice). Still, the basic story works fine, and Will Smith does excellent work. As a Pittsburgher it was cool that some scenes were filmed just a few yards from the theater I saw it, and that Albert Brooks played Cyril Wecht.

Joy - 6.5/10 - More David O. Russell wackiness replayed to diminishing returns. Loosely based on Joy Mangano, inventor of the Miracle Mop, which is presumably why the trailers explain as little as possible. Russell doesn't seem as invested in his characters as usual, leaving the supporting cast (save Bradley Cooper, given ten minutes of screen time) as shrieking, unfunny caricatures. Fortunately, Jennifer Lawrence delivers. Whether arguing with her family, presenting her mop on television or intimidating a Texas businessman into submission, she's absolutely compelling. That she's a decade too young for her character didn't even enter my mind.

Groggy, you're alive!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15537 on: January 03, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »

In my discussion of The Big Short, I believe I disparaged Ryan Gosling as an actor.  I should take that back. He was very good in some movies. I just don't think he was very good in this one.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15538 on: January 04, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »

Groggy, you're alive!

That's the rumor. How are things in Jenkins-land?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15539 on: January 04, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »

In my discussion of The Big Short, I believe I disparaged Ryan Gosling as an actor.  I should take that back. He was very good in some movies. I just don't think he was very good in this one.

Gosling's one of those actors who's either very good or very bad. I think The Big Short is the kind of role that suits him, a smarmy borderline sociopath.

Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM