Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:03:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762710 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15540 on: January 04, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »

In my discussion of The Big Short, I believe I disparaged Ryan Gosling as an actor.  I should take that back. He was very good in some movies. I just don't think he was very good in this one.

Gosling's one of those actors who's either very good or very bad. I think The Big Short is the kind of role that suits him, a smarmy borderline sociopath.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15541 on: January 04, 2016, 04:49:12 PM »

Sunday night binge watch.

State of Play - 7/10 - Ben Affleck is a Congressman ensnarled in sex scandals while investigating a military contractor. Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams costar as journalists, Helen Mirren their bitchy editor. Surprisingly good, old-school thriller is well-crafted and acted, with some stylish action scenes. Then the twist ending more or less ruins the movie.

Red Eye - 6/10 - Wes Craven flick with Rachel McAdams entrapped into helping Cillian Murphy plot an assassination. The plane scenes (the balance of the film) are watered-down Hitchcock, but it's worth watching for the ridiculously fun final 15 minutes. If nothing else, McAdams beating Murphy to a pulp with a hockey stick is enjoyable.

Hitchcock - 4/10 - Speaking of watered-down Hitchcock... Anthony Hopkins plays Hitch as a glib Cockney gargoyle, unrecognizable under mountains of makeup; Helen Mirren plays Helen Mirren; Scarlett Johansson makes a lovely Janet Leigh. The production of Psycho isn't especially interesting, so the movie leans on lame romantic subplots (will Alma cheat on Hitch?) and a bizarre device where Ed Gein's ghost visits Hitchcock in his sleep. What. Alternately boring and baffling.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:52:37 PM by Groggy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15542 on: January 04, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »

Mississippi Grind (2015) - 6/10
Don't be fooled by the title, this is definitely a slightly altered remake of one of Robert Altman's best, California Split. This time, with less fun, subtly, and chemistry between the two "eh" lead characters, who are more punch-able than likably flawed. It's well shot, well paced, and I like the attempted resurgence of the 70's buddy films that were never quite comedies but never quite dramas either. Other than that it's pretty much soaked in mediocrity and forgetfulness. Within the first two scenes I wished I was watching the original for the rest of the movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15543 on: January 04, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »

Hitchcock - 4/10 - Speaking of watered-down Hitchcock... Anthony Hopkins plays Hitch as a glib Cockney gargoyle, unrecognizable under mountains of makeup; Helen Mirren plays Helen Mirren; Scarlett Johansson makes a lovely Janet Leigh. The production of Psycho isn't especially interesting, so the movie leans on lame romantic subplots (will Alma cheat on Hitch?) and a bizarre device where Ed Gein's ghost visits Hitchcock in his sleep. What. Alternately boring and baffling.

I read that they (Universal, I guess?) didn't allow the makers of this film to use any scenes from Psycho; I guess that hurt this movie.

Still, despite all the crap in this movie the shitty subplot with Ed Gein, the shitty subplot with Alma and her "lover" I enjoyed the movie cuz Hopkins is fun to watch; even though he isn't really doing a great imitation of Hitch; it's 'Hopkins doing Hitch.' That guy who played Anthony Perkins in, as I recall, just a couple of scenes spectacular. The one great scene is where Hitch is "conducting" the screams of the theater-goers.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15544 on: January 04, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

Gosling's one of those actors who's either very good or very bad. I think The Big Short is the kind of role that suits him, a smarmy borderline sociopath.

Does it take a borderline sociopath to sell short an asset that you think is in a bubble?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15545 on: January 04, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »

– I enjoyed the movie cuz Hopkins is fun to watch; even though he isn't really doing a great imitation of Hitch; it's 'Hopkins doing Hitch.'

I don't mind Hopkins' lack of similarity to Hitchcock (heck, I enjoyed his portrayal of Nixon) so much as the actual performance; he was too dry for me to engage with. Some stabs at humor, but mostly musty. I did like the conducting scene you mentioned, though.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15546 on: January 05, 2016, 06:09:45 PM »

Joy (2015) - 6/10
Instead of retyping Groggy's review (with a bit less emphasis toward Lawrence, I felt she was a bit emptier than usual), I'll sum up my thoughts in two letter: "eh."

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15547 on: January 06, 2016, 07:12:57 PM »

The Girl (2012) - 3/10 - Another Hitchcock biopic, even worse than Hitchcock. This one depicts him as a lecherous psychopath (impersonated by Toby Jones) out to seduce or destroy Tippi Hedren, played by a blank-faced Sienna Miller. Loosely follows Donald Spoto and Hedren's own testimony, but it's so over-the-top dramatically that you can't take it seriously.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15548 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:15 PM »

Hateful Eight 8/10
At last! A good Tarantino, and a good western. That's 2 things I've been waiting for for years!
PS: see it in 70mm.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15549 on: January 07, 2016, 07:07:33 PM »

Hateful Eight 8/10
At last! A good Tarantino, and a good western. That's 2 things I've been waiting for for years!
PS: see it in 70mm.
yay!

I figured you'd hate it. I'm excited to see it a second time.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15550 on: January 07, 2016, 11:49:58 PM »

The Girl (2012) - 3/10 - Another Hitchcock biopic, even worse than Hitchcock. This one depicts him as a lecherous psychopath (impersonated by Toby Jones) out to seduce or destroy Tippi Hedren, played by a blank-faced Sienna Miller. Loosely follows Donald Spoto and Hedren's own testimony, but it's so over-the-top dramatically that you can't take it seriously.

I did not love this, but Toby Jones does a masterful impersonation of Hitch.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15551 on: January 08, 2016, 06:02:19 AM »

The Revenant (2016) 3/10. Ugly-looking picture that makes Man In The Wilderness seem a work of unalloyed genius.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15552 on: January 08, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »

The Revenant (2016) 3/10. Ugly-looking picture that makes Man In The Wilderness seem a work of unalloyed genius.

Reviews for this one have been pretty mixed, but I'm still interested in seeing it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15553 on: January 08, 2016, 07:50:59 AM »

I did not love this, but Toby Jones does a masterful impersonation of Hitch.

He got the voice right at least, but his performance was too one-note. Though I blame a script that couldn't see Hitchcock as anything but a monster.

I re-read the relevant parts of Patrick McGilligan's book on Hitchcock after watching these movies and it's pretty easy to spot the inaccuracies. For one, the scene where Hedren asks Hitchcock for a day off and is refused did happen, but he did it publicly rather than in a dressing room. Rather than culminating in a vulgar sexual proposition, it resulted in Hedren screaming at Hitchcock and calling him a fat pig in front of everyone. Naturally the film left the last part out.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15554 on: January 08, 2016, 09:21:03 PM »

Madigan - 6/10 - Pedestrian police drama interchangeable with The Detective, The Boston Strangler and a million others from that era. Richard Widmark is good, Henry Fonda's obviously bored, broad supporting turns from Don Stroud, James Whitmore and Steve Ihnat.

Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM