Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 11:53:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766393 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15555 on: January 08, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »

The Revenant (2016) 3/10. Ugly-looking picture that makes Man In The Wilderness seem a work of unalloyed genius.
The Revenant - 9/10
Because I'm not a crazy person.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15556 on: January 09, 2016, 04:26:16 AM »

Hateful Eight 8/10
At last! A good Tarantino, and a good western. That's 2 things I've been waiting for for years!
PS: see it in 70mm.

Agree, it quotes obviously The Great Silence, there are most probably others tucked away in there. The stew scene in GBU for one, and    
Major Marquis Warren is dressed like Col. Mortimer. I initially rated it a 7-7.5/10 but it will probably go up.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15557 on: January 09, 2016, 05:18:01 AM »

I don't recall Colonel Mortimer wearing a Union Army jacket.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15558 on: January 09, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »

Hugh Glass double-feature!

Man in the Wilderness - 5/10 - Richard Harris plays "Zachary Bass," John Huston his treacherous boss, various British character actors (Percy Herbert, James Doohan) fill supporting roles. Graphically violent (that bear attack is nasty) and episodic in approved '70s fashion; lots of gore and self-flagellation without leading anywhere substantial. Harris redeems the film somewhat, surprisingly good in a near-silent performance. Perhaps Harris should have played mutes more often!

The Revenant - 7.5/10 - The arthouse version. I can't credit critics who claim this is boring; there's so much going on (battle scenes, bear fights, avalanches, chases, tomahawk duels) that the movie zips by, even if the narrative's somewhat shaky. Inarritu's style is a mixed blessing. The immersive long takes and snowscapes are wonderful; the opening Indian battle is especially beautiful. As are the vignettes of frontier survival; where else will you see a hero sleep inside a disemboweled horse? But there are too many sub-Mallick shots of insects and dripping leaves, not to mention the absurd dream sequences. Then there's the ending, a revenge-by-proxy cop out cribbed from The Man from Laramie. DiCaprio fares very well in a purely physical role; Tom Hardy resurrects his growly cracker from Lawless. Bland Ryuichi Sakamoto score.

Really on the fence; I'll have to think whether the features or flaws weigh more heavily.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15559 on: January 09, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »

The Revenant - 7.5/10 - The arthouse version. I can't credit critics who claim this is boring; there's so much going on (battle scenes, bear fights, avalanches, chases, tomahawk duels) that the movie zips by, even if the narrative's somewhat shaky. Inarritu's style is a mixed blessing. The immersive long takes and snowscapes are wonderful; the opening Indian battle is especially beautiful. As are the vignettes of frontier survival; where else will you see a hero sleep inside a disemboweled horse? But there are too many sub-Mallick shots of insects and dripping leaves, not to mention the absurd dream sequences. Then there's the ending, a revenge-by-proxy cop out cribbed from The Man from Laramie. DiCaprio fares very well in a purely physical role; Tom Hardy resurrects his growly cracker from Lawless. Bland Ryuichi Sakamoto score.
Minus 7 points right there.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15560 on: January 09, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »

Every Thing Will Be Fine (2015) - 8/10. The latest Wenders: sort of a cross between To The Wonder and Boyhood. But in 3D. And with Rachel McAdams as the first girlfriend this time, instead of the keeper. And with James Franco in for Ben Affleck/Ethan Hawke. It includes some interesting supporting players: Peter Stormare, Patrick Bauchau, Charlotte Gainsbourg, a bunch of people I've never seen before. In terms of lighting, this is one of the darkest films I've ever seen, and that's before you put on the glasses. But many of the images are incomparably beautiful. The lighting and the Montreal locations created a cinematic space I have never been in before, a brave new WendersWorld. The effects of my visit are still with me.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing this again in 2D.
That's what I wrote back in September. This is from a recent review at Blu-ray.com:
It’s tough to avoid the obvious impression “Every Thing Will Be Fine” creates. It’s the most Malickian effort Wenders has created, pushing through dramatic encounters aimlessly, preferring camerawork and score (by Alexandre Desplat) to drive the viewing experience, with characters loosely laced throughout the picture. It certainly helps to have cinematographer Benoit Debie (“Lost River,” “Irreversible”) leading the charge, creating a stunningly lit picture that takes seasonal changes with the utmost seriousness, crafting the unnerving glow of winter and the new beginnings of summer. He generates art in the midst of agony, making “Every Thing Will Be Fine” a visual event that almost salvages the rest of the movie, with most highlights emerging from silent passages of reflection, keeping the characters to routine and thought as Wenders and screenwriter Bjorn Olaf Johannessen search for greater meaning.
The reviewer only gave the film a 4. I stand by my original rating, though. I think what Wenders has done in terms of story is to get rid of a lot of the conventions of melodrama in an attempt to capture greater verisimilitude. I think he's largely successful. But I really need to see this again, and I hope it will come on a regular run in 2D.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:07:43 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15561 on: January 09, 2016, 09:42:17 PM »

I liked MAN IN THE WILDERNESS. I also liked MADIGAN.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15562 on: January 09, 2016, 10:04:26 PM »

Let's wrassle.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15563 on: January 10, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »

Spotlight (2015) - 6.5/10
Well-acted, well-written, "based on a true story", but otherwise doomed to be forgotten among most of the history of best picture winners.

I more or less agree with this review, yet I'd give it an 8 or even an 8.5/10. There was more than enough interest in the story, and certainly the performances to justify watching it. I also like the added wrinkle that, unlike All the President's Men, the film showed the Globe was inadvertently complicit in the cover-up themselves, compromising any moral grandstanding.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:40:14 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15564 on: January 10, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »

Morning Glory (2010) - 4/10 - Rachel McAdams is a cute, very talented actress. Why are 90 percent of her movies garbage? Nothing to do with the Katharine Hepburn movie, instead a lame rehash of Broadcast News. Harrison Ford as a grumpy faux-Dan Rather gets a few laughs.

Suspicion - 5/10 - Joan Fontaine suspects Cary Grant's out to kill her because, I dunno, she spelled murder while playing anagrams. Full review in the Hitchcock thread.

Stage Fright - 7/10 - Messy but more entertaining than I'd expected. Fun plot, creative flashback use and plot devices, nice character turns by Alistair Sim and Kay Walsh. Even Jane Wyman's better than usual. The main problem, besides the mopey male leads, is Marlene Dietrich, who shamelessly hijacks the movie. Whenever she's around, we're watching a Von Sternberg pastiche, not Hitchcock.

Dial M for Murder - 7/10 - I recall this being my first Hitchcock, but not remembering much beyond the scissors murder and the weird trial scene. Based on a play, and certainly feels like it; Hitchcock sneaks style in wherever he can and makes it reasonably entertaining. Grace Kelly isn't very appealing here; Ray Milland and John Williams have never been better, though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15565 on: January 11, 2016, 05:59:59 AM »

[Dial M for Murder - 7/10 - I recall this being my first Hitchcock, but not remembering much beyond the scissors murder and the weird trial scene. Based on a play, and certainly feels like it; Hitchcock sneaks style in wherever he can and makes it reasonably entertaining. Grace Kelly isn't very appealing here; Ray Milland and John Williams have never been better, though.
To say nothing of Anthony Dawson.

Your perception of Kelly may be influenced by the unconvincing British accent she tries to put over.

Grogs, I gotta say it: if you haven't seen this film in 3-D, you haven't seen it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15566 on: January 11, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »

To say nothing of Anthony Dawson.

Your perception of Kelly may be influenced by the unconvincing British accent she tries to put over.

Grogs, I gotta say it: if you haven't seen this film in 3-D, you haven't seen it.

which means hardly anyone has seen it  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15567 on: January 11, 2016, 09:52:30 AM »

The one great thing about Dial M for Murder: It has the funniest Hitch cameo I have ever seen. I laughed like hell right there.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15568 on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »

The one great thing about Dial M for Murder: It has the funniest Hitch cameo I have ever seen. I laughed like hell right there.
As did most of the other students in your 7th grade class.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15569 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:08 AM »

As did most of the other students in your 7th grade class.

I finally realized how to get DJ to criticize something in Hitchcock movie: I should say that I liked it!

Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM