Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:41:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765871 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15585 on: January 17, 2016, 06:09:35 PM »

I already saw Cate Blanchett in underwear. Not on a screen. For real. DJ was with me. No, weren't having a threesome; but there was a different type of gay subtext - incestuous gay subtext. At an awful play, The Maids. Cate Blanchett lesbian incest with her sister Isabelle Huppert. Awful play.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15586 on: January 17, 2016, 09:24:48 PM »

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) - 8.5/10
I just keep returning to this one over the past 3 years. I like it more and more each viewing. I do think it drags a bit at times, particularly during the hellish ride to Chicago. I also don't think the scene where Llewyn sings to his father is necessary. Should've been cut and really kills the pace. Other than that, one of the Coens' very best. Can't wait for Hail, Caesar! in a couple weeks.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15587 on: January 18, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »

I do think it drags a bit at times, particularly during the hellish ride to Chicago.
Best. Part. of the Movie. Funny as hell.

I also don't think the scene where Llewyn sings to his father is necessary. Should've been cut and really kills the pace.
But then the character would come off as a complete asshole. We need to see he's actually capable of some compassion, if for no other reason than to make him seem more human. Llewyn isn't a caricature, he's one of the Coen's most fully realized creations. It's nice to see the Bros for a change doing a character piece rather than a satire.

Also, we need another excuse for Llewyn to perform a song--the music scenes work in this picture like gun battles in action films.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15588 on: January 18, 2016, 11:27:05 AM »

I just keep returning to this one over the past 3 years. I like it more and more each viewing. I do think it drags a bit at times, particularly during the hellish ride to Chicago. I also don't think the scene where Llewyn sings to his father is necessary. Should've been cut and really kills the pace. Other than that, one of the Coens' very best. Can't wait for Hail, Caesar! in a couple weeks.

You heartless robot. Don't blame the film for your own flaws.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15589 on: January 18, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »

DJ: Yeah, overall the ride to Chicago is excellent. But I think after a while the Chicago trip interrupts the flow - maybe more-so after Llewyn gets to Chicago and before he starts playing for Grossman. I feel like 5-10 minutes is spent of Llewyn trudging through snow, sitting at bars, sleeping in train stations, and waiting for Grossman to show up. I know the "reward" to this pacing is Grossman's excellent line: "I don't see much money in this", but, eh.

You've got a point on the scene with the father allowing for another song, but I think the final scenes with Jean and the Gorfeins prove enough that Llewyn isn't a total asshole. There's also more foundation to those character relationships with Llewyn, whereas the father scene is hardly relevant. He's only mentioned once when speaking to his sister.

Noodles: Hah, fuckoff! Regardless of any nitpicking with the pacing, this is one of my favorite Coen films. It's beautiful inside and out, vastly different from a majority of their work while still retaining a signature style.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15590 on: January 18, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »

I also agree that road trip to Chicago was the best part of the movie. It was the darkest, the bleakest and the funniest. I felt like the stuff with the cat (plus the cutesy folk music) and other parts resembling that were too quirky for their own good, or my sensibilities, so the road trip really was refreshing.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15591 on: January 18, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »

Malcolm X - 8/10 - Big scale biopic of Malcolm X, an oddity in itself; I'm still amazed he got a biopic twenty years before MLK did. Anyway it's controversial life handled conventionally, albeit with typical Spike Lee panache and brashness. Probably Denzel Washington's best performance; lots of random cameos.

Clockers - 7.5/10 - Another Lee joint with Mekhi Phifer as a small-time hood suspected of murdering a restaurant owner. Harvey Keitel is a racist cop, Isaiah Washington's Phifer's straight arrow brother, Delroy Lindo an intimidating kingpin. Entertaining despite a familiar message about urban decay.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15592 on: January 19, 2016, 05:17:46 AM »

Sicario - 7.5/10 - Emily Blunt joints an antidrug task force launching murder raids into Mexico. Sparse thriller offers little in the way of plot, originality or character development, but it's beautifully shot with incredibly tense, well-staged action scenes (especially the traffic jam on the bridge). Blunt is adapting well into Hollywood's go-to action girl, Benicio Del Torro is an enigmatic Mexican, James Brolin a scenery-chewing spook.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15593 on: January 19, 2016, 08:15:01 AM »

Sicario - 7.5/10 - Emily Blunt joints an antidrug task force launching murder raids into Mexico. Sparse thriller offers little in the way of plot, originality or character development, but it's beautifully shot with incredibly tense, well-staged action scenes (especially the traffic jam on the bridge). Blunt is adapting well into Hollywood's go-to action girl, Benicio Del Torro is an enigmatic Mexican, James Brolin a scenery-chewing spook.

Weird how the film suddenly switch its protagonist (and I'd even say its genre/atmosphere) in the end. Starts as a tense thriller that doesn't play by the rules at all, ends up like a cheap James Bond movie.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15594 on: January 19, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »

Weird how the film suddenly switch its protagonist (and I'd even say its genre/atmosphere) in the end. Starts as a tense thriller that doesn't play by the rules at all, ends up like a cheap James Bond movie.
Cheap and stoopid. Yeah, Emily Blunt's signature on a form is really gonna make a difference.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15595 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »

That's not weird, that's a fine idea which turns the film into something different, something original.

Why Bond?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15596 on: January 19, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »

Most of the last half hour's devoted to Del Torro going on a killing spree... sorry, seeking revenge. Which could be lifted from just about any action movie of the last 70 years.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15597 on: January 20, 2016, 02:37:33 AM »

Most of the last half hour's devoted to Del Torro going on a killing spree... sorry, seeking revenge. Which could be lifted from just about any action movie of the last 70 years.

But it works differently here than in any other action movie, cause the film before set a different context than the usual revenge movie. And the real end is the one with Del Torro and Blunt, which is much more important than the revenge part.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15598 on: January 20, 2016, 02:48:26 AM »

But it works differently here than in any other action movie, cause the film before set a different context than the usual revenge movie.

For me it didn't work "differently" because it didn't work at all.

And the real end is the one with Del Torro and Blunt,

Groggy said the truth: "Most of the last half hour's devoted to Del Torro going on a killing spree"

which is much more important than the revenge part.
I think we all agree on that.

I really liked the movie by the way, I'll buy the BD as soon as possible.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15599 on: January 21, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »

Irrational Man (2015) - 7.5/10
A surprisingly decent and fun Woody Allen flick. Definitely a one up from last years Magic in the Moonlight.

Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM