Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 05:40:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1836916 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15600 on: January 22, 2016, 04:13:07 PM »

Le Trou (1960) great prison escape flick 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15601 on: January 23, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »

A lesser Coppola marathon:

One from the Heart - 4/10 - Frederic Forrest and Teri Garr argue over who's uglier (literally), then break up. He hooks up with Natassja Kinski, she with Raul Julia. Scored to an endless drone of Tom Waits songs, commenting interminably on the action. The deliberate, loopy artificiality (studio sets and matte paintings representing Las Vegas, elaborate fantasy scenes) wears thin fast, so you've got whiny, unlikeable characters performing a bad genre pastiche without conviction.

Gardens of Stone - 6/10 - Okay military drama about soldiers serving in the Old Guard, keeping watch over Arlington Cemetery during the Vietnam War. Solid performances from James Caan, James Earl Jones and D.B. Sweeny but no real dramatic hook beyond half-assed debates over Vietnam. Overall, it's more middling John Ford (The Long Gray Line, say) than Coppola.

Tucker: The Man and His Dream - 7.5/10 - Fictionalized biopic of auto designer Preston Tucker, charmingly portrayed by Jeff Bridges, and his battle with the Detroit automakers and their government stooges. Basically a libertarian plea for free enterprise (or an artist's whine against studio interference disguised as such), filmed in an endearingly retro, Capraesque style. Not much substance but Coppola's earnestness and a solid cast makes it work. Nice period score by Joe Jackson.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:56:17 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15602 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »

The Assassin (2015) - 5.5/10
It's not bad. In fact, I bet I'd like it a lot more if I invested my time in a couple more viewings to understand it better (for having so little dialogue it's still unnecessarily confusing - maybe I just can't tell Asians apart). But unfortunately, it just wasn't quite appealing enough for me to want to do that. Sorry DJ, but a bit too slooooooooooow for my tastes and the crickets-only soundtrack doesn't help.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15603 on: January 27, 2016, 06:41:53 AM »

The Assassin (2015) - 5.5/10
Sorry DJ, but a bit too slooooooooooow for my tastes and the crickets-only soundtrack doesn't help.
There are more than crickets on that soundtrack--better watch it again!

Bound For Glory (1976) - 6/10. Woody Guthrie bio-pic. Lies mostly, but beautifully shot.

The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums (1939) - 10/10. Well over 2 hrs. and not a single CU. In the world of kabuki, Mizoguchi shows up the false distinction between giri and ninjo: duty IS the greatest pleasure.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15604 on: January 27, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »

Peggy Sue Got Married - 5/10 - Tries to be Back to the Future for adults but isn't clever enough to pull it off. Bonus points for an extra-annoying Nicolas Cage, who talks like Eddie Deezen impersonating a surfer dude. Another Coppola slumming effort.

Misery - 6/10 - The Critic parody is much better. I kept waiting for James Caan to tell Kathy Bates "BUY MY BOOK!"

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15605 on: January 28, 2016, 06:37:55 AM »

Peggy Sue Got Married - 5/10 - Tries to be Back to the Future for adults but isn't clever enough to pull it off. Bonus points for an extra-annoying Nicolas Cage, who talks like Eddie Deezen impersonating a surfer dude. Another Coppola slumming effort.

Believe it or not, the French dubbing is even worst. I saw it ten years ago but that awfully annoying "Je t'aime, Peggy Sue" is still stuck somewhere in my brain.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15606 on: January 28, 2016, 11:13:53 AM »

Emperor of the North Pole/ Emperor of the North (1973) 8/10. Lee Marvin is the hobo A-No. 1; Borgnine is the RR man with a hard on for anyone trying to ride without a ticket.  Fire, meet Gunpowder. Robert Aldrich is da man!

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15607 on: January 28, 2016, 11:54:29 AM »

Emperor of the North Pole/ Emperor of the North (1973) 8/10. Lee Marvin is the hobo A-No. 1; Borgnine is the RR man with a hard on for anyone trying to ride without a ticket.  Fire, meet Gunpowder. Robert Aldrich is da man!

Pretty much thoughts.

I was thinking to myself that this seems like a perfect TT release, and lo and behold, it was released a few months ago. I might have to pop for this.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:56:27 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15608 on: January 28, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »

I've got the DVD, which looks very nice. I considered upgrading, but TT is so expensive that the image improvement would have to be staggering. Web reports seemed to suggest that the improvement was merely incremental. So I put my upgrade money into other titles. However, if I hadn't already purchased the DVD, I would certainly be getting the BD.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15609 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:48 PM »

You're a Big Boy Now - 7/10 - Early Coppola tries to be an American version of those Mod British comedies proliferate in the '60s (The Knack, Billy Liar, etc.). Doesn't pull it off, but it has an interesting energy all its own.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15610 on: January 28, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »

RE: early Coppola: Have you seen THE RAIN PEOPLE? I liked it.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15611 on: January 28, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »

It's decent.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15612 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:52 AM »

It's pretty good.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15613 on: January 29, 2016, 11:23:07 AM »

Torch Song (1953) - 9/10. This widescreen Technicolor musical features Michael Wilding and Joan Crawford, with Ms. Crawford's singing voice dubbed by India Adams. Crawford is really over the top in this, in full diva mode, in fact, and Wilding plays the blind pianist determined to bring Joan insight. The success of any musical depends on its songs, and this has several good ones. One of the bad ones, though, is called "Two Faced Woman," (cut, I understand, from The Bandwagon) which Joan actually performs late in the film in blackface (WTF?). This film is so good that in an earlier scene we are shown Wilding "rewriting" the piece to improve it. The song has one good moment, a terrific bridge with a nice retard ("I'm like a weathervane/That goes with the breeze . . . "), that Wilding, according to the story, improvises and Joan at first rejects. Of course, without that bridge the song is incredibly annoying, the real songwriters put it in from the get-go to change things up, but, you know, this is a musical about writing a musical. Anyway, the bit where Wilding is trying to sell Crawford on the re-write is very effective, and helps us appreciate the part of the song that works. A better number is "Follow Me," which resembles and looks forward to the climax song, "Tenderly." Throughout the film an orchestral version of "Tenderly" has been insinuated into the background, so when it suddenly puts in an appearance late in the day we're ready for. And happily, it's one of the greatest torch songs ever written (first performed in 1946).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15614 on: January 30, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »

Fallen Angel (1945) - 7/10. This picture has a huge structural problem: two-thirds of the way through the most interesting character gets written out. The story never recovers. Up until that point, though, things are peachy keen, in a noir sort of way. Dana Andrews and Linda Darnell star.

Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM