Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:18:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769639 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15645 on: February 09, 2016, 02:42:13 PM »

Grog: I see what you mean, I'm not sure you got what I meant. Anyway, the movie "talks" to me so from my standpoint it does work. Almost perfectly. And in a very innovative way. Also, the dialogues are absolutely amazing so there is that.

Drink:

I think that without Steve Jobs, the PC industry nowadays would be exactly the same as it is, except may with less polished designs. Jobs' only revolution in the Area was with the first Mac and its use of typography... which had impact at the time but I'm pretty sure we would have the same fonts nowadays anyway. I've never liked the iPod and have had better mp3 players before and after it was invented. iTunes helped the music industry to survive a few more years but 1) I still don't get how nobody had got it right 5 years before 2) it's already almost obsolete. Jobs biggest thing is the iPhone, and i'm definitely not downplaying this one but smartphones would have happened anyway, maybe a couple of years later. Last, Jobs did a lot to bring back high quality electronics with beautiful design and finish back to our homes. That's both cool and not very important.
Social web's mass adoption (up to the point where my grandmother is my Facebook friend) wasn't bound to happen. It did, for the better and for the worst, thanks to a few guys, including Zuck.
That's what I meant. I still love my iPhone, my iPad and I highly respect Jobs impact on our lives. Go see the film.

Facebook will probably vanish at some point (not within the next decade, they have a great strategy and have repeatedly proved able to face big obstacles) and so will Apple (it already almost did before the iMac).

How can you assume that all this technology would have eventually been invented without Jobs? And if Facebook had not been invented, we'd all be on MySpace or another of the numerous sites that Facebook killed off. Facebook is a key development but not a brand new invention. And yes, Apple created the modern (as opposed to BlackBerry) smartphone. I still virtually never use Facebook, but I am typing this message on an iPhone 6 Plus.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:56:12 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15646 on: February 10, 2016, 01:16:54 AM »

what do you mean "all this technology"? If you're only talking about anything else than smartphones, please develop because I don't see anything Apple invented. About smartphones: every single big tech company was working on it. Something good was bound to happen. It could have been windows phone, for example. But Google bought Android in 2005 (first iPhone release: 2007). So many billions of dollars were invested in this and we all just sat there and waited for the definitive smartphone to come.

Pre Facebook social web was a niche market, no big company worked on it. Some of them bought a few startups and killed them or got close to kill them. MySpace wasn't killed by Facebook it killed itself. Twitter wasn't killed by Facebook it just isn't a mainstream service. Friendster got so many things wrong it's actually impressive. Maybe something would have replaced Facebook, I'm just not sure it would have happened.

Also: when Steve Jobs presented the iPhone, everybody was waiting for exactly this. Which means we knew the concept, we all had thought about it and we were just waiting for Apple to do it right. And they did. When I first heard about Facebook, I just couldn't get what the thing was. Very few people could. Building a 100 billions company out of it is more impressive to me. That's a more impressive vision that just "get things right". The fact that you don't use Facebook is irrelevant, the world has far more Facebook users than Apple customers.

Once again I like both companies so I don't really get why you don't just stop arguing and go see Steve Jobs!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:20:30 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15647 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:28 AM »

Hail, Caesar! (2016) - 3/10. I gather that this is supposed to be a comedy. Unhappily, the Coens forgot to write any jokes for it. Well, Deakins' photography looks nice (thus ensuring a 10/10 from noodles_l).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #15648 on: February 10, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (108 Minute Cut)

I have seen this cut of the film and now have concluded that I enjoy the 135 minute version more.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15649 on: February 10, 2016, 03:15:27 PM »

Hail, Caesar! (2016) - 3/10. I gather that this is supposed to be a comedy. Unhappily, the Coens forgot to write any jokes for it. Well, Deakins' photography looks nice (thus ensuring a 10/10 from noodles_l).

agree it sucked

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15650 on: February 10, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »

So it's the worst Coen movie ever?

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15651 on: February 10, 2016, 04:40:37 PM »

Hail, Caesar! (2016) - 3/10.
Good. I will probably love it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15652 on: February 10, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »

THE CHOICE (2016) 5/10

Best thing about this piece of shit is that the lead babe has eyes as blue as the sea

And the lead dude has a magnificent Southern accent.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15653 on: February 11, 2016, 04:39:46 AM »

So it's the worst Coen movie ever?

No The Ladykillers sucked equally

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15654 on: February 11, 2016, 05:32:07 AM »

No The Ladykillers sucked equally
Yeah, but the Coens didn't write that one. That one and the one with Clowny and Zeta Jones I don't consider true Coens films because the bros didn't do the writing. A true Coens Bro production has a script by them. Which is the case here, but the film still sucks. So, yeah, this probably is their worst film, just edging out Burn After Reading.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15655 on: February 11, 2016, 05:35:52 AM »

So far all Coen films are at least a good 6/10.
But I haven't watched yet their mainstream journey Ladykillers. And of course not Hail, Ceasar, which will be released here next week.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15656 on: February 11, 2016, 05:54:49 AM »

Sons and Lovers - 8/10 - Stark D.H. Lawrence adaptation with Dean Stockwell as an English miner's son eager to escape his lowly roots. Like How Green Was My Valley with the sentimentality drained out; very well-shot and grungy in the British style of the time, though the pompous music undercuts the realism. Stockwell's okay but Trevor Howard (in an Oscar-nominated role) and especially Wendy Hiller steal the show as his domineering parents.

Thor: The Dark World - 6/10 - Mildly diverting Marvel mayhem.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15657 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:19 AM »

Yeah, but the Coens didn't write that one. That one and the one with Clowny and Zeta Jones I don't consider true Coens films because the bros didn't do the writing. A true Coens Bro production has a script by them. Which is the case here, but the film still sucks. So, yeah, this probably is their worst film, just edging out Burn After Reading.

Oh ok. Well if that's as bad as Burn After Reading it's still a little 8/10. I can live with that.
Didn't they write the Zeta Jones one? It's their least "Coen bros" movie but it's still ok to me. I heard they had written it but didn't want to direct it at first.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15658 on: February 11, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »

No, if you go to IMDb you'll see a bunch of other names attached to the writing credit. It's the Coen's least Coen-like effort, which may explain why I was never able to get all the way through it.

I may be wrong about The Ladykillers, though. I think the writer of the script for the original movie gets a credit, but maybe that's pro forma or a rights issue because of the use of the title and basic plot content. The Coens also have a writing credit, so maybe the script is largely their work.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15659 on: February 11, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »

Oh ok. Well if that's as bad as Burn After Reading it's still a little 8/10. I can live with that.
No, it's worse than BAR. That film had a few laughs. This has none, zero, zip, nada.

Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM