Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:14:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769611 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15675 on: February 14, 2016, 08:45:30 PM »

MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (1937) 5/10

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0029192/

supposed to be some sort of forgotten masterpiece. It's shit.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15676 on: February 15, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »

El sur (1983) 8/10. Spain in the 50s. This is huge improvement over Spirit of the Beehive, in part because it is a true Bildungsroman. The adult world begins, for the heroine, as a mystery, but one whose secrets are gradually revealed. Further, a voice-over indicates that events are being remembered, so childhood impressions are less inchoate than they may have been otherwise. Aurore Clément appears briefly in a film-within-the-film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15677 on: February 15, 2016, 07:41:16 PM »

But will you ever feel like watching it again? I'm thinking . . . No.
Don't plan on it. maybe i'll catch it again on cinemax or something someday.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15678 on: February 16, 2016, 11:39:37 PM »

Being There (1979) 8/10

Watching the jackasses wearing suits in Washington these days, it's hard to find any of them with more brains than Chance the Gardener

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15679 on: February 21, 2016, 06:24:42 AM »

The Majestic (2001) - 6/10

Not much beside a noble idea.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15680 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »

Deadpool (2016) - 7.5/10
Fun flick. Marvel knows what they're doing with these comedic superhero movies... with stuff like The Avengers, not so much.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15681 on: February 24, 2016, 06:28:48 AM »

3 stellar Blu-rays from Warner:

The Big Sleep (1946) Famously, the plot is difficult to parse, but it does cohere. It's just complicated. The snappy dialog is a joy. And the new 1080p transfer looks splendid--immaculate, with nice contrast. Maybe the later reels aren't quite as good as the earlier ones. Anyway. Film: 8/10. Transfer: 9/10.

I Confess (1953) I'm not sure the story makes sense. OK, I guess Monty Clift is bound be his vows and the seal of the confessional, but why is he so utterly passive throughout the film? Why doesn't he network within the hierarchy of his Church? Why can't he be both a devout Catholic and a good citizen? Also, the character of the bad guy doesn't quite hold up. Yeah, he appears to be penitent early on and then later has a change of heart--but wouldn't his lack of follow-through put the lie to his confession? Maybe Fra Logan still couldn't reveal the contents of the confession at that point, but couldn't he then start actively assisting the police in their investigations? Do a Father Brown number while still maintaining the secrets of the confessional? Anyway, the story would have been more interesting if the baddie had been playing Monty from the beginning (and why was he wearing a cassock in that first scene, anyway?) Why not have the murderer "confess" as a way of setting up the priest to take the fall for the crime? As it is, it's just too convenient that the murderer kills the one man who just happens to be the one guy the priest might have had a motive for killing. Why not have that as part of the murderer's calculation all along? All the coincidences make the story less compelling than it could have been. And why have the whole thing with the married woman if her husband isn't going to be the official prosecuting the priest? Just so many opportunities here that were squandered by Hitchcock (and apparently, this is his film with the longest gestation).

Anyway. It's a shame the movie isn't better because this is one of the best-looking b&w transfers ever made. According to DVDsavant, the image is sourced from nitrate elements, which is easy to believe. The blacks are very black and the whites are incandescent. The Quebec locations work really well, too, and Robert Burks did some excellent work photographing them. Film: 6/10. Transfer: 11/10.

The Wrong Man (1957) A really well made film, and with nice widescreen b&w photography (much grainier than I Confess). Film: 7/10. Transfer: 10/10.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15682 on: February 24, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »

Hail Caesar! 6/10

A few good scenes, mostly great acting, bad CGI. Unfortunately, it seems to have been written in under 2 days and storyboarded within the next hour. I'll watch it again. Just not yet.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15683 on: February 25, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »

Rage (1972) - 5.5 - 6/10

Directed by George C. Scott, which also does a good job as the leading man. Unfortunately, besides that and an intriguing opening, the movie doesn't offer much in terms of substance.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15684 on: February 25, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »

Cowboy (1958) - 7/10. Widescreen! Color! TT's Blu of a Sony encode! The second-best cattle-drive movie ever!  Yeah, baby!

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15685 on: February 25, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »

Pather Panchali - 6.5/10
Liked it. Didn't really affect me. An Indian take on Italian neo-realism, but I'll take it's clear inspiration Bike Thief over it any day. Big points for the B+W photography - many moments feel like literally filmed versions of photographs that you'd see in a museum.

Starting a Leone-thon to correlate with my first read through Something to Do With Death.

The Last Day of Pompeii - 4/10
Colossus of Rhodes - 6.5/10

I had seen both before but must not have paid attention at all, because I didn't recall a single thing form either. Both so silly that they're surprisingly fun - Colossus of Rhodes way too long for its quality, but well photographed at times with a ridiculous though entertaining story. Last Days of Pompeii just plain laughably bad, though I thought quite a few scenes were more reminiscent of "good" Leone's style than even CoR.

I liked CoR as much as Pather Panchali.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:42:09 PM by PowerRR » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15686 on: February 25, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »

CoR disc has Frayling commentary. Those are always a joy to listen to  Smiley

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15687 on: February 25, 2016, 08:40:53 PM »

God's Not Dead - 1/10

Heavenly Creatures - 8/10

No Way Out - 8/10

The Lost Weekend - 8.5/10

Where the Sidewalk Ends - 8/10

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15688 on: February 26, 2016, 03:09:13 PM »

Bone Tomahawk (2015) -

Don't be put off by any potential horror/gore elements, this is a damn good western with some soul. It was clearly made by someone that loves and understands the genre. The casting is excellent, as is the dialogue, and moves at a nice clip even though it's paced in a relaxed way, like an old Hollywood western.

Bone Tomahawk is definitely more of a western than a horror movie, its gore is completely justifiable for those who aren't horror fans.

8.5-9/10

Whoever hasn't seen this needs to rectify that.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15689 on: February 26, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »

Good Morning (1959) - 3/10
My first experience with Ozu is certainly a bad one. This is shit and I hope DJ doesn't come and defend it. Bad fart joke after bad fart joke. An ensemble cast of annoying, empty, dumb characters indistinguishable from one another. Criterion print was so bad that even the one potentially redeeming factor, its use of color, becomes obsolete. Best part of the movie was the 20 minute nap I took somewhere in the middle.

Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM