Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:25:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834035 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15720 on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »

The Finest Hours (2016) - 5/10
I went to one of those "cinema de lux" theaters with nice seats and dining service. I ordered a chicken panini with sweet potato fries, and happened to also ask for a side of honey mustard - which ended up being one of the highlights of an already fine meal. Turns out, I don't much care for eating in the dark during a movie. I was quite hungry so I ate quickly and even enjoyed a 10-15 minute nap. overall not a bad day.

Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) - 9/10
Just when I thought I had seen the best Altman had to offer, I come across the Blu-Ray of this rare gem. It's fantastic. Other than Horace and Pete, one of the finest "film-plays" (is there a word for that?) I've ever seen. Been wanting to see this for the past several years, but I held off on the VHS rips long enough for a restoration. It shares a lot of thematic similarities to OUATIA in terms of friendship, photographic memories, time, and age. Altman is one of my favorite filmmakers, and this one is easily, at least, one of his five best movies.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15721 on: March 03, 2016, 05:31:51 AM »

The Great Man - 4/10 - Jose Ferrer investigates a late, beloved television figure and discovers he's not all he seems. He also bores the audience. Inspired by Arthur Godfrey, the inspiration for A Face in the Crowd, it's really a poor man's Citizen Kane.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15722 on: March 03, 2016, 05:32:39 AM »

The Finest Hours (2016) - 5/10
I went to one of those "cinema de lux" theaters with nice seats and dining service. I ordered a chicken panini with sweet potato fries, and happened to also ask for a side of honey mustard - which ended up being one of the highlights of an already fine meal. Turns out, I don't much care for eating in the dark during a movie. I was quite hungry so I ate quickly and even enjoyed a 10-15 minute nap. overall not a bad day.
You're learning.

War and Peace (2015) Episodes 1-3. 7/10. Comparisons with Bondarchuk's version are inevitable: the short report is that practical effects and well-rehearsed armies have it all over CGI battlefields (couldn't have guessed, what?). Also, British actors as Russian characters take some getting used to (apparently we're supposed to be able to tell they're playing Russians just because they keep crossing themselves a lot), as does all the modern idioms with which Andrew Davies has littered his script. Still, the casting here is pretty good. Paul Dano makes an excellent Pierre, and although veteran actors such as Brian Cox and Stephen Rea are wasted in uninteresting parts, the ever-good Jim Broadbent really aces the role of Natasha's father. Natasha herself is a bit of a problem: the garden-variety English Rose playing the female lead doesn't have the presence of either an Audrey or Bondarchuk's star (and she's fair rather than dark), but this isn't fatal. Prince Andrei is played by some hunk-of-the-season and he's adequate also. The first episode didn't do much for me (follows Bonderchuk a little too closely), but things really took off in Episode Two. Naturally there's a lot more sex in this version. The music varies--sometimes it's good, at other times awful (cheesy faux-Russian choral music, a rip-off of Priesner's Three Colours: Blue score in Episode Two)--but the constant change is interesting, and I liked a lot of what I heard in Episode Three. It goes without saying that the costumes in this costume picture are fab. I am looking forward to Episodes 4-6.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15723 on: March 03, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »

Path to War - 8/10 - Long but involving HBO drama about Lyndon Johnson's handling of the Vietnam War. More sympathetic towards Johnson than I expected, or many would be (I'm sure my dad would hate it), but well-written and with an impeccable cast: Michael Gambon as LBJ, Alec Baldwin as Robert McNamara, Donald Sutherland as Clark Clifford, Gary Sinise as George Wallace, etc. John Frankenheimer's final film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15724 on: March 04, 2016, 08:23:16 AM »

War and Peace (2015) Episodes 4-6. 7/10. The series builds nicely to Episode 5, which features the battle of Borodino. Unhappily, Episode Six is rather anti-climactic--it's about Napoleon's winter retreat from Moscow, which is much less exciting. Episode Six is also about tying up loose ends (or most of them) and spelling out the author's message. If the message were profound that might be OK, but basically this is what Count Tolstoy prescribes for The Good Life: 1) inherit fabulous wealth; 2) enjoy the simple things in life; 3) live at peace with your fellow man (even when he does you dirt). I think for most of us, #1 is the problem.  Oh well, this is better TV than what I'm used to. More literary adaptations would be good.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15725 on: March 04, 2016, 09:07:42 AM »

Oh well, this is better TV than what I'm used to. More literary adaptations would be good.

Have you ever seen the Odissey made almost 50 years ago? In my opinion best ever adaptation of a literary classic.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15726 on: March 04, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »

No. I assume you're talking about an Italian production?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15727 on: March 04, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »

UNION PACIFIC (1939) 7.5/10

Cecil B. DeMille's tale of the building of the transcontinental railroad.

More here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8944.msg181635#msg181635

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15728 on: March 04, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »

No. I assume you're talking about an Italian production?

You can download the whole movie here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyQu6-mbinc

AND THE ENGLISH SUBS HERE:

http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/4732871/odissea-en

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15729 on: March 04, 2016, 05:31:45 PM »

Some reviews:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064750/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15730 on: March 05, 2016, 07:19:39 AM »

Sounds good. I'd watch it if I could find a copy with English subs, but such a thing doesn't seem to be available.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15731 on: March 05, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »

Sounds good. I'd watch it if I could find a copy with English subs, but such a thing doesn't seem to be available.

?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:54:06 PM by titoli » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15732 on: March 05, 2016, 11:36:02 AM »

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges fall in love while plotting the perfect heist. This goes beyond subtext: short of actually fucking each other, the central bromance couldn't be more explicit. Michael Cimino contrasts their perfect bond with Geoffrey Lewis and George Kennedy's dysfunctional villain couple; Clint and Jeff bed women while George is reduced to watching others copulate. Oh and there are some nice action scenes.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15733 on: March 05, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »

DINER (1982) 8/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15734 on: March 06, 2016, 05:07:20 AM »

Macbeth (2015) 10/10. Visually sumptuous, this very cinematic adaptation features Michael Fassbender as the future King of Scotland and beautiful Marion Cotillard as his ruthless spouse. Great support is provided by David Thewlis as Duncan, and Sean Harris (so good in Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation) as Malcolm. I've had reservations about previous film versions--Welles' movie is a joke, and although Kurosawa's approach is effective, it loses all of Shakespeare's original language. And I've never been able to make it all the way through Polanski's version. But here is a real winner: every shot is a delight. The language is retained, but pared to the bone. Further, a good deal of it is done in voice-over. When characters do speak together, it is usually in whispers. There is no declaiming, no speechifying. The result is something that bears almost no relation to a stage presentation. Add to this the amazing Scottish locations filmed in 'scope ratio and the excellent sonic design and score (essentially a Dirge and Variations). Also some fun color grading and a generous use of slo-mo (especially for the battle scenes). Shakespeare's plot is followed mostly, but when they do take liberties the choices are always good ones (the Birnham-wood-come-to-Dunsinane routine is cleverly done). The murder of Duncan put me in mind of the killing of Col. Kurtz, and later when Fassbender cleansed himself and emerged from a mountain pool I had the thought, They could have called this film Apocalypse Then.

Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM