Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:12:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1841526 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15750 on: March 08, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »

That would have been Frank, Jill and Harmonica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D5rx6ggKhg

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15751 on: March 08, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »

And me. Even The Conformist does nothing for me.

I remember liking the book but the movie was well-photographed blandness (though the murder scene was cool). What that film did well, Coppola did better in the first two Godfathers.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: March 08, 2016, 04:44:13 PM »

The Wrong Man (1957) - 7.5/10
Hey, it's DJ signature! Stylish procedural thriller from Hitchcock. All performances are good. Gets boring at times. The wife going insane isn't really believable, even if it is real. Worth watching for sure.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15753 on: March 08, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »

I really liked The Wrong Man the first time I saw it, but it hasn't held up that great to rewatches. It definitely seems more like something Richard Brooks or Otto Preminger would make rather than Hitchcock.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15754 on: March 09, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »

The Glory Guys - 5/10 - Boring faux-Ford cavalry Western with a good finale. James Caan's painful Irish brogue is otherworldly.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: March 09, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »

The Women (1939) 4/10. Some of the cattiness is fun, but by and large this no longer holds up very well. The device of keeping the male characters always off stage gets old, and there is a mawkish sentimentality to many of the exchanges. The switch from b&w to Technicolor works; then reverting to b&w, not so much. And I have to say I'm not much of a Norma Shearer fan (sorry, Mr. Thalberg).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15756 on: March 09, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »

You watch weird cartoons. I don't recall Tom crushing a child's head and painting the walls with his blood while Jerry's laughing.
Good God, man. You mean to tell me you've never seen Happy Tree Friends?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15757 on: March 09, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »

Good God, man. You mean to tell me you've never seen Happy Tree Friends?

Grin

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: March 10, 2016, 05:17:53 AM »

Two Mules For Sister Sara (1969) 7/10. Where does this film go wrong? Do the Mexican locations fail us? The Morricone score? The plot? The casting? This last, in fact, provides a clue. Try as one might, no one can remember more than two characters in the picture. Something--someone--is missing.

Eastwood here is at his most iconic, playing Hogan, another Man With One Name. MacLaine is the duplicitous title character, a Tuco With Tits. So whereís Angel Eyes? Or to use an even better analogy: Eastwood is Firecracker, MacLaine is Juan With Tits (what a range that woman had!), where is Gunther Ruiz?( or the French equivalent?) At the climax weíre told thereís a price on Sister Saraís head. Why do we never see anyone trying to earn it? It would improve things tremendously if there were a guy tracking Our Heroes, finding the arrow Sara shoved through Hoganís shoulder, arriving at the train trestle after the dynamiting, always a little behind but getting closer, ratcheting up the tension. Then at the end this character (letís call him Pepe le Moko) could be present when Hogan takes Sara into the French garrison pretending heís turning her in for the reward. Pepe could be suspicious of the whole man-from-Texas thing, might even trip Hogan up. Then during the ensuing melee the two could fight a final duel. Thatís what this picture lacks, a third principal to complicate things. If only Jenkins had been at the story conferences, another film could have been saved!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:21:51 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: March 10, 2016, 05:45:31 AM »

Two Mules For Sister Sara (1969) 7/10. Where does this film go wrong? Do the Mexican locations fail us? The Morricone score? The plot? The casting? This last, in fact, provides a clue. Try as one might, no one can remember more than two characters in the picture. Something--someone--is missing.

Eastwood here is at his most iconic, playing Hogan, another Man With One Name. MacLaine is the duplicitous title character, a Tuco With Tits. So whereís Angel Eyes? Or to use an even better analogy: Eastwood is Firecracker, MacLaine is Juan With Tits (what a range that woman had!), where is Gunther Ruiz?( or the French equivalent?) At the climax weíre told thereís a price on Sister Saraís head. Why do we never see anyone trying to earn it? It would improve things tremendously if there were a guy tracking Our Heroes, finding the arrow Sara shoved through Hoganís shoulder, arriving at the train trestle after the dynamiting, always a little behind but getting closer, ratcheting up the tension. Then at the end this character (letís call him Pepe le Moko) could be present when Hogan takes Sara into the French garrison pretending heís turning her in for the reward. Pepe could be suspicious of the whole man-from-Texas thing, might even trip Hogan up. Then during the ensuing melee the two could fight a final duel. Thatís what this picture lacks, a third principal to complicate things. If only Jenkins had been at the story conferences, another film could have been saved!

So true, and it would have been more believable if it was updated to the MexRev. There were no significant railroads in Mexico until after 1873.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15760 on: March 10, 2016, 07:55:23 AM »

According to Frayling (in his book "Clint Eastwood"), when Budd Boetticher saw the movie, he hated it; he hardly recognized the script he had written, which had been reworked for a Man With No Name character. Boetticher did not like Leone's films, even though Leone worshipped him. Boetticher recalled how he once met Leone, who exclaimed, "Budd, dear Budd, I stole AVERYTHING from you!"  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15761 on: March 10, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »

Foxcatcher - 8/10 - I saw there's a thread so I'll save my thoughts.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15762 on: March 13, 2016, 09:55:07 AM »

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - 7.5/10
Fun thriller based mostly in one shelter. Well-acted and entertaining all the way through.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: March 13, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »

Return of the Texan - Delmer Daves, 1952

Dave's 2nd western, which is close to a melodrama, is a post-western set around too conventional characters and conflicts. Likable to a certain extent, but no wonder it wasn't released in Germany. 4/10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: March 14, 2016, 06:37:31 PM »

Making a Murderer (2015) - 4/10
The ultra-popular Netflix documentary series actually sucks.

It's at least 6 hours too long. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Been a while since I've seen something in this much need of, oh, maybe another 6 months in the editing room. Clearly biased toward Steven Avery's innocence. It's about as manipulative as documentaries get. Oh, and just about as boring too. Paradise Lost is the go-to epic of proving innocence, and it's far more interesting. And far shorter. As far as recent crime documentaries go, The Jinx is leaps and bounds superior.

Don't watch this. Or maybe do, since I may be the only person in the world who thinks this was shit.

Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM