Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 10:16:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758742 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15765 on: March 14, 2016, 06:37:31 PM »

Making a Murderer (2015) - 4/10
The ultra-popular Netflix documentary series actually sucks.

It's at least 6 hours too long. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Been a while since I've seen something in this much need of, oh, maybe another 6 months in the editing room. Clearly biased toward Steven Avery's innocence. It's about as manipulative as documentaries get. Oh, and just about as boring too. Paradise Lost is the go-to epic of proving innocence, and it's far more interesting. And far shorter. As far as recent crime documentaries go, The Jinx is leaps and bounds superior.

Don't watch this. Or maybe do, since I may be the only person in the world who thinks this was shit.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15766 on: March 15, 2016, 07:20:35 AM »

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) - 8/10
[...]
Fun fun fun fun. Matt Vaughn is a Hollywood action auteur.

Finally saw it. 7-8/10. Amazing action sequences. And fun fun fun.

Has anyone else seen it here? It's been widely discussed all over the world but on these boards.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:08:26 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15767 on: March 15, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »

Finally saw it. 7-8/10. Amazing action sequences. And fun fun fun.

Has anyone else seen it here? It's been widely discussed all over the world but on these boards.

Yes, it's fun fun fun fun and some more fun.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15768 on: March 15, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »

I am glad so many of my fun friends are having so much fun fun fun

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15769 on: March 15, 2016, 06:03:03 PM »

Carol (2015) - 7/10
It's aiiiight. I doubt anyone will ever watch it like a year from now. Just a drama about lesbians.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15770 on: March 16, 2016, 06:49:32 AM »

Carol (2015) - 7/10
It's aiiiight. I doubt anyone will ever watch it like a year from now. Just a drama about lesbians.

That's about right.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15771 on: March 18, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »

Midnight Special 7.5/10

It's fascinating and tremendously suspenseful until the final 15 minutes where it all (emotion/atmosphere/CGI/...) falls apart. The post-climax scenes are back on track though.
This film is both one of the most spielbergian and anti-spielbergian movies I have ever seen.

One of these days, Nichols is gonna nail a movie ending and he's gonna have a masterpiece.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15772 on: March 18, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »

Midnight Special 7.5/10

It's fascinating and tremendously suspenseful until the final 15 minutes where it all (emotion/atmosphere/CGI/...) falls apart. The post-climax scenes are back on track though.
This film is both one of the most spielbergian and anti-spielbergian movies I have ever seen.

One of these days, Nichols is gonna nail a movie ending and he's gonna have a masterpiece.
Based on Nichols' 3 other movies and the trailer, I already agree with your review. Regardless, can't wait until this comes around here.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15773 on: March 18, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »

36th Precinct (2004) 6.5/10

French cop movie. Cops are just as bad as the criminals. Good script and good cast but did NOT like the very heavy stylization.

Rented DVD from Netflix. Not very good quality.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:06:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15774 on: March 18, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »

36th Precinct (2004) 6.5/10

French cop movie. Cops are just as bad as the criminals. Good script and good cast but did like the very heavy stylization.

Rented DVD from Netflix. Not very good quality.

It was well regarded in France at the time. I think I've never finished it. It's quite professionally done for a French movie, but in the end it's just an accumulation of clichés and it takes itself way too seriously. The cast only rely on the way they look - which isn't that bad because as soon as they try to show some emotion, they fall into laughable territory. Still, I'm glad this movie was done. It really upgraded the expectations of French audiences when it comes to the technical and atmosphere work on French thrillers.
After this one, Olivier Marchal spent his time caricaturing his own work movie after movie, tv series after to series.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:12:37 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15775 on: March 18, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »

Play Misty for Me - 6.5/10 - Clint vs. psycho bitch Jessica Walter. Very uneven and predictable Fatal Attraction-type thriller, with some overdone direction (that romantic montage is awful), but the set pieces click and Ms. Walter is scary as hell.

She's Gotta Have It - 8/10 - Spike Lee's first film, a romantic quadrangle about an independent woman dating three demanding guys. Very self-consciously stylized: plays like a French New Wave romcom mixed with cinema verite stylings and a long, Minelli-style musical interlude. Uneven but manages to be entertaining.

He Got Game - 7/10 - A statement on how American society overvalues sports, it has a contrived premise (convict Denzel Washington's promised a pardon if he can convince his basketball star son, Ray Allen, to sign with the Governor's college) that's hard to take seriously. The movie works though because Lee and the actors play it in earnest, complete with Aaron Copland music and bizarre lighting. Give or take a useless subplot with Milla Jovovich, much better than it should be.

Recount - 7/10 - HBO movie about the nuttiness surrounding the 2000 election. Very pro-Democrat but well-written and acted.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:24:50 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15776 on: March 19, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »

I meant to say I did NOT like the very heavy stylization of 36th PRECINCT. Updated my post to say that (in the original post I forgot the word "not"  Sad )

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15777 on: March 19, 2016, 06:07:48 PM »

Play Misty for Me - 6.5/10 - Clint vs. psycho bitch Jessica Walter. Very uneven and predictable Fatal Attraction-type thriller, with some overdone direction (that romantic montage is awful), but the set pieces click and Ms. Walter is scary as hell.

I liked this movie very much.
FATAL ATTRACTION seems heavily borrowed from this.

This is the first movie Clint directed, no?

Another early film he directed that I liked a lot was BREEZY. The plot of that one seems heavily borrowed from MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, a 1959 movie (written by Paddy Chayefsky from his play of the same name) with Fredric March and Kim Novak playing the roles that William Holden and Kay Lenz played in BREEZY. BREEZY was the third movie that Clint directed (the first directed film in which he did not act, though he has a Hitch-like a brief uncredited cameo). And in BREEZY, when a couple goes to a movie, you see a poster for HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, the second movie Clint directed.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:53:51 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15778 on: March 19, 2016, 06:33:13 PM »

I meant to say I did NOT like the very heavy stylization of 36th PRECINCT. Updated my post to say that (in the original post I forgot the word "not"  Sad )

Oh i got that. The stylisation didn't age well. It looked professional at the time.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15779 on: March 19, 2016, 10:24:11 PM »

Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu can both play Cyrano de Bergerac without requiring a prosthetic nose  Evil

Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM