Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 07:15:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832678 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15795 on: March 21, 2016, 03:30:53 AM »

No, RR is right on My Name is Nobody. It's a mess with a few decent scenes.

Decent?
The best scenes in MNIN are better than anything in FoD, FAFDM and DYS, or at least equal, and if equal than MNIN has the greater amount of them. And even the lesser scenes are pretty well directed, with only a few exceptions, a few shots which look not that good.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15796 on: March 21, 2016, 04:56:30 AM »

His greatest moments on film, imho, are those in Un coeur en hiver (1992).

Haven't seen this one yet. I often heard about how good it is though.

No, RR is right on My Name is Nobody. It's a mess with a few decent scenes.

No, he's so wrong it's borderline illegal.

Decent?
The best scenes in MNIN are better than anything in FoD, FAFDM and DYS, or at least equal, and if equal than MNIN has the greater amount of them. And even the lesser scenes are pretty well directed, with only a few exceptions, a few shots which look not that good.

I hope Firecracker comes back one of these days, DYS deserves way more love.
I agree with the other parts of your comment though. My Name Is Nobody 4ever, although the decision to suddenly change the epic climax into a corny Powerpoint presentation is unforgivable.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:13:25 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15797 on: March 21, 2016, 05:16:46 AM »

A World's End 8/10
It should be something like my fourth watch.
It's still the less funny but also the most impressive technically (acting, writing, directing, editing) wise and the most moving of the whole Corneto trilogy. Simon Pegg's best acting ever.
You all suck. All of you.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15798 on: March 21, 2016, 06:02:59 AM »

A World's End 8/10
I'm guessing you must mean The World's End. I can't find anything under the title you name.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15799 on: March 21, 2016, 06:16:53 AM »

I hope Firecracker comes back one of these days, DYS deserves way more love.
I agree with the other parts of your comment though. My Name Is Nobody 4ever, although the decision to suddenly change the epic climax into a corny Powerpoint presentation is unforgivable.
It's forgivable, but it's a shame forgiveness is required.

Since I haven't spoken ex cathedra in a while, I'll do so now. These are the best Spaghettis in descending order of greatness:
GBU
DYS
OUATITW
MNIN
FAFDM
FOD
And far, far below . . .

Everything Else

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15800 on: March 21, 2016, 06:25:21 AM »

The best Spaggies (outside a restaurant):

OUTW

gap

GBU

another gap

Il mercenario (Corbucci)
Il grande silenzio (Corbucci)
MNIN
Une Corde, un colt (Hossein, look Noodles, a frenchy, yes, yes)
El puro (Mulargia)
FoD
FAFDM
Vamos a matar, Companeros (Corbucci)
Django (Corbucci)
La collina degli stivali (Colizzi)
Giu la testa
L'ultimo killer (Vari)
Requiem para el gringo (Merino)
Blindman (Baldi)
Dio perdona ... Io no! (Colizzi)
Matalo! (Canevari)
L'odio è il mio Dio (Gora)
Quien sabe? (Damiani)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15801 on: March 21, 2016, 06:32:28 AM »

I'm guessing you must mean The World's End. I can't find anything under the title you name.

I do. Very much.
I'm often confused with its title because the French one is much different (literally: "a last drink before the World's End"). I should remember though because The World's End is the name of the final pub of their journey and they joke around it quite often.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15802 on: March 21, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »

... DYS deserves way more love.

Indeed it does. In many ways (many being the operative word), it's better than the whole of the Dollars Trilogy.

No, he's so wrong it's borderline illegal.

Whatever one's personal impressions are, I think we can all agree that MNIN did not live up to its potential. The concept was brilliant and some of it was executed well on film too.

... These are the best Spaghettis in descending order of greatness:
GBU
DYS
OUATITW
MNIN
FAFDM
FOD
And far, far below . . .

Everything Else

What about Robert Hossein's two entries? They didn't do it for you either? I note Stanton included "Une corde, un colt" as one of his choices. While technically "Le goût de la violence" might not be a spaghetti, it is an absolutely fantastic piece of cinema.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15803 on: March 21, 2016, 10:40:57 AM »

Suspicion (1942) 8/10. Once upon a time there lived, in AlfredHitchcockLand, an enchanted princess. Her enchantment was this: she could not speak about the things most important to her. One day her parents hurt her feelings, so on impulse she married a prince who was handy. The princess was happy for a while, then began discovering character flaws in her new mate. Soon she was experiencing  Strange New Husband phobia (cf.” Bluebeard”, “Beauty and the Beast”). Still under enchantment, though, she could not express her feelings about the matter, and this wore on her. Gradually she came to believe her man was trying to kill her. Had she been in another movie—Confirmation, say, or Disabusement—she could have put paid to her concerns. But she was in Suspicion so there was no dispelling the enchantment until the final curtain.

Some complain that Hitchcock, a natural fabulist, should not have been in the business of spinning fables. The technical name for such a complainer is dipshit.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15804 on: March 21, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »

I don't share the love for DYS. I WANT to like it, but I just can't. I mean, it's better than anything almost anyone else can make, but for me it is clearly below Leone's other 5 movies.

and btw, RE: the score, the main theme is great, but I hate the March of the Beggars theme

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15805 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:11 AM »

I don't share the love for DYS. I WANT to like it, but I just can't. I mean, it's better than anything almost anyone else can make, but for me it is clearly below Leone's other 5 movies.

and btw, RE: the score, the main theme is great, but I hate the March of the Beggars theme
You're just not up there at Leone's level yet. You think you are, but you're not. That's why the dream theory for OUATIA appeals to you. It's your subconscious mind attempting to bring Leone down to where you are at, to put him on par with your own impoverished imagination. But not only is Leone better than you imagine, he's better than you CAN imagine. Maybe with time you'll develop enough to be able to see this (if some broad doesn't kill you first).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15806 on: March 21, 2016, 11:33:47 AM »

I'm often confused with its title because the French one is much different (literally: "a last drink before the World's End"). I should remember though because The World's End is the name of the final pub of their journey and they joke around it quite often.
It's almost impossible to put "a" in front of world's end when the world in question in the present Earth. If you are talking about one of the many worlds of a solar system or the galaxy or whatnot then you could. But when speaking of our home, this reality, the cosmos in general, English requires the definite article (because the thing we're speaking of is unique and indicated). Eliot provides an example: "This is the way the world ends/ This is the way the world ends/ This is the way the world ends/ Not with a bang but a whimper." The Drunk from The Birds says repeatedly: "It's the end of the world!" Sometimes, however, no article can be used: I think Paul Theroux has a collection of stories called World's End where World's End is a place name. World's End would make a good name for a production company or an SFX group.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15807 on: March 21, 2016, 01:27:31 PM »

You're just not up there at Leone's level yet. You think you are, but you're not.

You must inhabit some rarified level of snob consciousness that J. Hoberman and Pauline Kael could only dream about.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15808 on: March 21, 2016, 01:29:24 PM »

Heaven's Gate - 4/10 - A beautiful, glittering pile of whale shit.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15809 on: March 21, 2016, 01:45:37 PM »

I While technically "Le goût de la violence" might not be a spaghetti, it is an absolutely fantastic piece of cinema.
Yes, not a Spag, otherwise it would be near the top 10. Damn near.

Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM