Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:42:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764185 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15825 on: March 21, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »

Still better than two thirds of the dollar trilogy.

fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15826 on: March 21, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »

fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag fag
Yeah... I can maybe buy someone preferring it to Fistful, but no way in hell is MNIN better than FAFDM.

Fruitvale Station (2013) - 7/10
Black kid has a bad day.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15827 on: March 21, 2016, 07:52:12 PM »

Fruitvale Station (2013) - 7/10
Black kid has a bad day.

My main takeaway from that flick is Michael B. Jordan is a really good actor.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15828 on: March 22, 2016, 03:49:25 AM »

If not for Fonda's scenes, this would be more like a 2 for me. A great film is there, but it's weighed down for me by attempted "comedy" that's even more annoying than it is unfunny.

Some of the comedy stuff is wrong for this film, but only the few slapstick scenes, in which there is only comedy for the sake of comedy. These scenes work fine in the Trinity films, but are pretty wrong here. But they can't destroy the film, cause several of the general ideas and the majority of the film's scenes are excellent. I would like to re-cut the film, make it about 5 min shorter, and then it would be definitely better than FAFDM.

But why not just skip the lesser parts, and enjoy the great scenes.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15829 on: March 22, 2016, 04:42:08 AM »

wow, no love at all for FOD?

Oh Yea,  Afro  popped it in between Death Rides a Horse and Companeros

Best Spaghetti Westerns

GBU-OUTITW
FAFDM
DYS
Il Mercenario
TBG
TGS
Death Rides a Horse
FOD
Companeros
A Bullet For the General
Keoma
Tepepa
Run Man Run
Une corde, un Colt

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15830 on: March 22, 2016, 12:58:25 PM »

Best Spaghetti Westerns...

Run Man Run...

I always liked this one too. It's funny because people often dismiss it for some reason.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15831 on: March 22, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »

I always liked this one too. It's funny because people often dismiss it for some reason.

Also Tepepa, in the US hardly anybody's ever seen it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15832 on: March 22, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »

Because it's not as ambitious or politically fraught as Sollima's other Westerns. Still good, though.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15833 on: March 22, 2016, 03:03:46 PM »

Also Tepepa, in the US hardly anybody's ever seen it.

Ain't that so for every Spag apart from the Leone films?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15834 on: March 22, 2016, 03:06:25 PM »

Rocco and his Brothers (1960) – Visconti says: “A mother and her five sons live in Southern Italy, but, in order to find work, they all eventually move north to Milan. . . In Milan, the family settles in a slum. At first everyone looks for work, but no one finds it. Very quickly, the situation there deteriorates and the domestic atmosphere becomes polluted. . . Rocco is pure . . . the only one who can successfully resist this degrading environment and preserve his integrity. He is also the person who suffers the most, for he is conscious of the familial tragedy, of the irresponsibility of certain of his brothers in the face of the vicissitudes of life that are destroying them. Rocco’s drama is therefore double because, in addition to his own suffering, he takes upon himself the misery of every other member of his family. . . Discouraged because they can’t find work—disheartened is perhaps a better word—three of the brothers end up by becoming boxers. . . Confronted by the difficulties of life in the big city, the brothers fall from grace one after the other. The one who falls first, Simone, is Rocco’s favorite. In the end, this character plays a very important part in the drama. For what happens to Simone makes clear that the reasons for, or causes of, a family’s survival—or self-destruction—are not the unique location in which it finds itself, as you might expect. Basically, this family, had it remained united, in Milan or anywhere else, would have had a chance to survive intact. Staying together would have been its strategy for success, if you will. Another element apart from unemployment divides the family, however, and pits two of the brothers (the others are too young) against one another. In the same ghetto as theirs lives a call girl named Nadia. She is also poor by birth, but her job permits her to live better than those around her. Every day she lures young men into her bed, and for them she represents luxury of a kind, even mystery. Only Rocco remains insensitive in the beginning to the charms of this urban princess. But such precise delineation is unnecessary here, since all of these characters are part of the same reality. I don’t need to assign it any poetic quality, for the poetry emanates naturally from this environment—from the clash between fish out of water, as it were (Rocco and his displaced family), and the highly toxic water in which they now find themselves (the city of Milan). Still, in her mysterious way, Nadia herself is a character apart from this environment, and one who intervenes directly—almost constantly—in the tragedy, precipitating its events. This is because she falls in love with Rocco, the family’s only hope for salvation. Nadia and Rocco’s rapport, which forms gradually, is difficult to fathom. There are so many shades to their relationship that I simply could not explain them all in mere words. . . But the result of Rocco and Nadia’s liaison is obvious: it arouses the jealousy of others. And Rocco suffers as a result, because saving his family is more important to him than Nadia’s love.”

Jenkins says: Film: 3/10 and 9/10. 1080p Transfer:  9/10.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:08:27 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15835 on: March 22, 2016, 03:48:29 PM »

My main takeaway from that flick is Michael B. Jordan is a really good actor.
That he is. You see Creed?

Jenkins says: Film: 3/10 and 9/10
Eh?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15836 on: March 22, 2016, 04:35:17 PM »

Jenkins says: Film: 3/10 and 9/10.

What planet are you smoking?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15837 on: March 22, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »

That he is. You see Creed?

Yeah and it was surprisingly good.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15838 on: March 22, 2016, 05:18:20 PM »

Ain't that so for every Spag apart from the Leone films?

You can find most of those listed if you look. Tepepa is still just R2 on Amazon

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15839 on: March 23, 2016, 06:36:25 AM »

A Brighter Summer Day (1991) - To say nothing of a Brighter Summer Night. This film has two lighting schemes: High Noon and Christmas Eve. The first is frequently plausible, the second should only happen once a year, but we get it again and again. This is my complaint about most of modern Asian cinema: it all looks like TV. This production also features immaculate sets and locations and clothes that seem never to have been previously worn. It's a shame because the story--about gang violence in early 60s Taiwan--is potentially interesting, and in fact the director, Edward Yang, does a great job of juggling a legion of characters. But visually this film sucks.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM