Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 03:28:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759070 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15840 on: March 23, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »

Carol (2015) 5.5/10

SPOILERS TILL END OF POST

Of course, the only normal people in the movie are Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett and Sarah Paulson, who plays Blanchett's friend and former lesbian partner. All the men are creeps and weirdos and jackasses.  Roll Eyes

Okay, so I get the whole repression and societal acceptance stuff from the 1950's ... But once these women do go off together, this big road trip, and night after night they stay in one hotel or another, and they do nothing at all physically for most of the movie. Maybe occasionally put a hand on each other for a second and that's all. Then after what must be weeks of knowing each other and being pretty damn clear about their feelings, finally one night they actually start touching and Mara says, "Take me to bed." yeah, so these lezbos (one new and one old) are together all this time but never do a thing with each other for a long time. Very very believable  Roll Eyes The notion of repressing feelings and actions for societal reasons certainly is real; if they just gave each other these affectionate looks but never actually went out together, that'd be fine. But once they are taking a friggin' road trip and sleeping in the same room all the time and there's no secret about their feelings but barely even touch each other for the first 2/3 of the movie? No, there's nuthin' believable about this at all.

So, we have two actresses that I generally like very much, though this is not my favorite roles of theirs. And we have some nice color cinematography. Also some crappy production design (were department stores in the 1950's really that awfully ugly? Feels like a prison). And some awful rear-projections in the car scenes (a car on a highway would be moving at least 50 miles per hour, but the rear-projection camera is moving at maybe 5 miles per hour. Takes like 15 seconds of screen time to pass a damn tree on the highway that any car driving half of the speed limit would pass in 2 seconds. This happens a lot with rear projections in driving scenes, but this one is particularly bad. I thought we are supposed to be more sophisticated today).

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15841 on: March 23, 2016, 12:32:28 PM »

Far from Heaven by the same director is way better than Carol. I liked the acting and some of the photography, but the balance of the movie was pretty dull and tedious.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15842 on: March 23, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »

Michael Collins (1996). Back in the day I hate, hate, hated The Crying Game, so when this film, also directed by Neil Jordan, was first released I gave it a pass. And in the years since I never once had the feeling I’d missed out on anything—neither the LD nor the DVD tempted me. But now it’s the film’s 20th anniversary; also the 100th anniversary of the events the film depicts. And it was St. Paddy’s Day just last week. And Easter will be here this weekend. And there’s a flashy new BD just out, generally extolled. So I thought, The BD is easily had. Why not finally give this film a try?

And I did.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15843 on: March 23, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »

Far from Heaven by the same director is way better than Carol. I liked the acting and some of the photography, but the balance of the movie was pretty dull and tedious.
I haven't seen that - but another of the director's movies Safe is really excellent.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15844 on: March 23, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »

Falling Down 8/10
I've been wanting to see this one for ages. It was even better than expected. One of Duvall's best roles.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15845 on: March 23, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »

Michael Collins (1996). Back in the day I hate, hate, hated The Crying Game, so when this film, also directed by Neil Jordan, was first released I gave it a pass. And in the years since I never once had the feeling I’d missed out on anything—neither the LD nor the DVD tempted me. But now it’s the film’s 20th anniversary; also the 100th anniversary of the events the film depicts. And it was St. Paddy’s Day just last week. And Easter will be here this weekend. And there’s a flashy new BD just out, generally extolled. So I thought, The BD is easily had. Why not finally give this film a try?

And I did.

When did you become the Riddler?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15846 on: March 23, 2016, 08:01:15 PM »

25th Hour - 7/10

L.A. Confidential - 8.5/10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15847 on: March 24, 2016, 04:06:52 AM »

Noodles, yesterday evening Arte showed Dominik Grafs thriller Die Katze (The Cat), an excellent film by one of the best (yet pretty unknown) directors alive. One of the ebst thrilers of the 80s. Die Hard is actually dirt against it. Try to watch it on the mediathek or when it is repeated in one of the next days or weeks.

I'm interested in your opinion.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:08:24 AM by stanton » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15848 on: March 24, 2016, 05:44:41 AM »

When did you become the Riddler?
Not that I'm any tougher than Tuco. It's just that I know talking won't save me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15849 on: March 24, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »

I don't think anyone here will kill you over Michael Collins. I enjoyed it well-enough but don't need to see it again.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15850 on: March 24, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »

I enjoyed it well-enough but don't need to see it again.
That nut-shells it very well.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15851 on: March 24, 2016, 09:18:20 AM »

Noodles, yesterday evening Arte showed Dominik Grafs thriller Die Katze (The Cat), an excellent film by one of the best (yet pretty unknown) directors alive. One of the ebst thrilers of the 80s. Die Hard is actually dirt against it. Try to watch it on the mediathek or when it is repeated in one of the next days or weeks.

I'm interested in your opinion.

Thanks, I'll try to catch in on replay if it's still available in a week.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15852 on: March 24, 2016, 04:51:13 PM »

Trumbo (2015) - 7.75/10
A light, really entertaining period piece that isn't the most interesting stylistically, but doesn't turn out as Oscar-bait as the trailers hinted. An excellent ensemble of character actors / TV stars: Bryan Cranston, Louis CK, John Goodman, Milton from Office Space. Also lots of fun portrayals of actors like Ernest Borgnine, John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, and so on.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15853 on: March 24, 2016, 07:36:13 PM »

Trumbo (2015) - 7.75/10
A light, really entertaining period piece that isn't the most interesting stylistically, but doesn't turn out as Oscar-bait as the trailers hinted. An excellent ensemble of character actors / TV stars: Bryan Cranston, Louis CK, John Goodman, Milton from Office Space. Also lots of fun portrayals of actors like Ernest Borgnine, John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, and so on.

Sounds about right. Afro Of all the celebrity impersonations, I most enjoyed Christian Berkel's Otto Preminger.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15854 on: March 25, 2016, 05:49:43 AM »

In the Cut (2003) Dir: Jane Campion with stars: Meg Ryan, Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Nick Damici. Some great Noir-ish cinematography of NYC wasted on a predictable and lamely put together story. Call it a woman's noir, I guess, I've seen better. It just didn't click 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM