Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:06:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840128 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15885 on: March 30, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »

Rage - 5/10 - George C. Scott's poisoned by nerve gas, loses his son, goes on a killing spree. Sloppy and overwrought conspiracy thriller, basically The Incredible Melting Man without the flesh-eating.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15886 on: March 31, 2016, 05:29:12 AM »

Against All Odds (1984)

Let's take the flashback tale of a somewhat sleazy detective who is hired by a mobster to find his ex gal pal who stole a wad of cash from him and took off to Mexico. Said detective finds the girl in a one of the most n icon sequences in film Noir and  falls under her spell, and takes off with her. The detective's partner is then hired by the mobster to find him and the girl. He finds the detective and the girl and a fight results in the detective's partners death. The girl splits and leaves the detective hold the bag. When he does find her she's back shacked up with the mobster. Movie has nice Noir Visuals.

Let's take all this and change it to....

Loose the flashback. Make the detective a recently injury suspended football player who drives a Porsche but needs money enough to be talked into looking for the wayward daughter of the team's owner who's fled to Mexico, by her sleazy club owner of a boyfriend. He finds the girl in an idyllic tropical Mexico anti iconically wearing nondescript clothes buying groceries at an outside market. He falls in love with her and while making love in a Mayan pyramid is surprised by his coach who was sent by the sleazy boyfriend to find the two. She shoots the coach dead and runs off leaving the football player with the body. He comes back to LA and finds her back with the sleazy boyfriend. This movie is a travelog for Cozumel and Quintana Roo, Mexico.

As a remake of Out of the Past this is a piece of pure trash with a real waste of Richard Widmark and Jane Greer. Jeff Bridges, James Woods and Rachel Ward round out the cast. 5/10

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:14:04 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15887 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:38 AM »

In the Electric Mist (2008) - 7/10. A routine crime film is elevated slightly by an amazing cast and a very good evocation of place: Louisiana, post-Katrina. Tommy Lee Jones plays a lawman investigating a series of murders . . .  yada, yada, yada. Tommy Lee here looks like hell, but he isn't quite in Old Men Country yet: he's married to Mary Steenburgen (lucky, lucky), has a young daughter, and can still swing a baseball bat in the line of duty. And he's a recovering alcoholic. Oh, and he sees dead people, specifically Confederate dead people, and most particularly, General John Bell Hood (played by Levon Helm!). There's some good music in the flick, some of it supplied by Buddy Guy, who also has a part. Did I mention Mary Steenburgen is in the picture? Also Ned Beatty! John Sayles has a bit as . . . a film director! Speaking of film directors, Bernard Tavernier himself shepherded this project straight to video (and Blu-ray--but the SD release looks amazing as it is), and word is the European cut is different (and better) and may have even played in a cinema somewhere. Well, this one kept me entertained anyway (love those Tommy Lee voice-overs).
I'm upping this to an "8." Tommy Lee is really good here.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:50:44 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15888 on: March 31, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »

What.

If Night Moves is uninspired than uninspired might be the new word for originality.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15889 on: March 31, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »

I like "Night Moves". I think Arthur Penn with Dede Allen was a powerful combination.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15890 on: March 31, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »

Prisoners - 8/10
Deakins rules!

Shaun of the Dead - 8/10
Not Scott Pilgrim.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15891 on: March 31, 2016, 11:55:40 PM »

I'm upping this to an "8." Tommy Lee is really good here.

In France, it got a theatrical release.

Prisoners - 8/10
Deakins rules!

Shaun of the Dead - 8/10
Not Scott Pilgrim.

Tssss.

If Night Moves is uninspired than uninspired might be the new word for originality.

As you know, I'm with the Grog here.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15892 on: April 01, 2016, 02:36:11 AM »

As you know, I'm with the Grog here.

Yes I know, but outside of this forum it is a film which gets only praise. Deserved of course.

The low evaluation here for Night Moves is strange.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15893 on: April 01, 2016, 03:59:56 AM »

Yes I know, but outside of this forum it is a film which gets only praise. Deserved of course.

I gave it and 8/10  Afro http://noirsville.blogspot.com/2016/01/night-moves-1975-deconstructed-detective.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15894 on: April 01, 2016, 04:13:45 AM »

I watched it after reading an article that stated it was a masterpiece so I know you're not alone. That being said, it "only" has 7.2/10 on IMDB. It's a very uneven movie which main interest isn't the plot so I'm not very surprised it gets such a disparate ranking: it either clicks or doesn't.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15895 on: April 01, 2016, 04:47:27 AM »

I watched it after reading an article that stated it was a masterpiece so I know you're not alone. That being said, it "only" has 7.2/10 on IMDB. It's a very uneven movie which main interest isn't the plot so I'm not very surprised it gets such a disparate ranking: it either clicks or doesn't.

That the usual IMDB user can't get much out of it is no wonder. Night Moves is a pretty unspectacular film and a mainstream audience won't even see how much Penn deconstructs genre conventions and won't enjoy the unagitated storytelling and the precisely and rich characterisation. And for me it a very even movie. One that wins with every viewing, while Penn's next film The Missouri Breaks goes the other way (still a good film though)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15896 on: April 01, 2016, 05:27:45 AM »

Yea, you can't go the average IMDb user the board is dominated by members who think any film before 2000 is old.  Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15897 on: April 01, 2016, 05:44:22 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't appeal to IMDB here. The movie's abject mediocrity should be sufficient. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15898 on: April 01, 2016, 06:28:13 AM »

One that wins with every viewing

Although that's an argument I often use myself, it's also another way of saying "it's not for everyone".

Yea, you can't go the average IMDb user the board is dominated by members who think any film before 2000 is old.  Grin

This kind of users won't bother with a film like Night Moves. They don't even know it exists: it doesn't have the word "NOLAN" in the credit sequence.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:29:51 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15899 on: April 01, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't appeal to IMDB here. The movie's abject mediocrity should be sufficient. Afro

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one  Afro Afro Afro

Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM